Photo

New to TDM, but wanted to offer up my comp sci skills for this excellent game.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PBJ

PBJ

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:21 PM

POPULAR

I'm currently in school full-time pursuing a degree in Computer Science going into my third year. Not a master programmer by any means, but I like to think that I'm fairly competent and a quick study. So far I've done most of my work/projects in C++, Java, FXML/XML, Python, R and Javascript/HTML/CSS, but have dabbled in C, C#, PHP, Kotlin, Go and Clojure. Right now I'm on Summer break and doing an internship, but I also have a good amount of free time to work on personal projects and if applicable or at all needed I'd be interesting in assisting the development of the platform. Since finding out about TDM a few weeks back (just prior to the release of 2.06) I have played through a dozen or so missions and it has quickly become one of my favorite games of all time. It takes everything I loved about the Thief series and improves on the mechanics and adds the variety and power of a passionate community to create one of the best games I've played in years. If there is anything I can do to help make this game even better I'd be more than willing to assist. I have also recently begun to develop my own level for the game (currently in the early stages of developing the story and learning how to effectively use DarkRadiant) which I hope to have ready for testing and release by the end of the Summer. I also just want to shout out to and thank everyone who has contributed to this project so far because you all have developed something absolutely exceptional.

• Bikerdude, stgatilov, grayman and 8 others like this

#2 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37379 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Welcome!

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#3 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side. :ph34r:

My advice is while or after making your own FM, you should download the sourcecode ( http://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/ ), make sure it compiles properly, and then just start openly playing with the code locally.

I used to give myself little pet projects just to see how the code works. And then if you create a cool system, show us and then there could be a discussion about whether it's a good idea to put in the mod. That's how something like the inventory grid got in. I think that's the way to start. If you want to work on something needed, you could surf the bugtracker for some neglected tasks -- http://bugs.thedarkm...y_view_page.php -- and start on something. But just note that at an early stage it can't be guaranteed that your work will get into the mod; it still has to be reviewed and discussed of course, and some things should be discussed in advance or they already have been discussed buried in the forum somewhere. You could just ask about things you're interested in though. If your major is CS and you've been studying coding, then I'm sure some of the tasks will be no problem for you. This is just my thoughts though. I'm not one of the main coders, who may have their own opinions.

Cheers!

• stgatilov, Anderson and Destined like this
Posted Image

#4 PBJ

PBJ

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome @Springheel and for the advice @demagogue. I'll probably start off just going through the bugtracker and seeing if there is anything I can contribute to in that aspect. I'm also working on a mission of my own and hope to contribute some interesting A.I. and mechanical scripts for other mappers to use toward their own levels in the future. I know though that this is a democratic process and don't expect every single one of my proposed changes or additions to be immediately implemented without any sort of review; I like to think that most of us involved in the CS community have respect and appreciation for the scientific process.

• stgatilov, Anderson and Taquito. like this

#5 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:54 AM

Welcome aboard! We never really can get enough people coming our way, so the more the merrier. Also prior experience is a huge plus and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do in the future!  B)

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#6 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37379 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

He hasn't been back on the board since about a week after that last post, so....

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#7 duzenko

duzenko

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1626 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:06 PM

Easy come, easy go

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20183 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:18 PM

Welcome, and interesting avator - I have tried many times to understand "1PM" but never quite get it...

#9 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37379 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:49 PM

giphy.gif

• Obsttorte likes this

#10 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5682 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:37 AM

Bwahaha :laugh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#11 Epifire

Epifire

Advanced Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:58 AM

Now that I look at the timestamp, that begs the question how this actually showed up as a recent post on my feed.  :huh: 

Hahahaha, welp hope he returns someday.

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users