The Dark Mod Forums

Refocusing On Milestone #1

Springheel

As you all know, the division leaders are trying to refocus everyone's attention on the first milestone for The Dark Mod. Essentially, our goal is to provide all the resources necessary for FM authors to begin making genuine mansion maps. Some of these mappers could then work in tandem with us, designing workable maps as we continue to work on coding and other things.

We already have a great collection of models, thanks to our fine (and speedy) modeling team. This message is basically to update our progress, and see what is still needed before the May 1st deadline.

GAME READY MODELS

In order to be 'game ready' a model needs to be textured, and must also have a collision model or working bounding box (for simple items).

Now, I can't tell from screenshots whether this is done or not, so I'm going to have to rely on you guys that when you post something as 'game ready', it actually is. :)

Our biggest issue right now in being done by the release date is getting objects textured. Those of you capable of texturing your own models, if you could switch your focus from new models to texturing the ones that are already done, that would be helpful.

MODELS YET TO GO

The list below are the models on the mansion pack list that are (as far as I know) not yet completed (textures aside). The ones with stars beside them have not been assigned yet. I am not including the AI, since we are only concerned about getting two (1 combat and 1 non-combat) into the game for the first milestone.

(update: Jan25th)

- door handle/lock

* desk chair

- fancy sofa

- soup bowl

* spectacles

- tapestry

- hunting trophey (mounted head)

- wash basin

* door knocker

- Small chest

- Large chest

* cooking cauldron

- torch bracket

* music box

Basic Gameplay Models needed:

* lever

* rope arrow (awaiting concept art)

Obviously, not everything on this list is crucial for the first release. Some things, however, like the chests and the door handles, are fairly significant and should be included. We should try to finish all these before moving on to other things, however.

If you know you signed up for one of these, please let me know what its status is. I know we all have a tendency to take on a lot of things and then forget some in the shuffle, so if you know you don't have time for something you signed up for, let me know and I'll reassign it.

Anyone looking for something new to model, please focus on this list until we get them all done.

(I've updated the Mansion Pack request forum as well to make it a little easier to see what still needs to be done. Remember a lot of reference pics are available in that thread).

It's not crucial in any way, but as far as the mansion model list go, could you add a Victrola and a Musicbox?

Sure thing, Pak.

Potted Plants... something like that?

Yep, those two pots in back, with a slightly different texture, would work well. The other pots are too modern, and the plants too tropical.

I'll cross that one off the list. :)

The potted plants look pretty cool! The pool table doesn't appear to have correct dimensions though. If the dimensions were correct, the width of the table as it appears in the foreground should be wider than the width as it appears in the back (perspective).

Billiards has been around since the 1500s, but it looked a lot more like croquet on a table then our modern version. If we're going to include it I think we should try for a more historical appearance (and they were green even then, to simulate grass).

I'm not going to add this to the master list though right now...I think we have enough on there already, and billiard tables are quite rare in Thief mansions. :)

Looks good, I've managed to remove a few more from that list up there. :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's a fine lever. We could use one of those 'T' ones that were in T2 as well.

As for the locks, I think DeepO called them? You'll have to check with him first. Take a look at the thread next to it though, as I posted some examples there.