The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude - Xmas FM

Bikerdude

Well, omni light radii have to be symmetric. That's why it's a radius, and not an oblong ellipse. You can still go into resize mode, and touch up a light_radius in the orthoview.

For your mushrooms, I'd give them a dark ('value' < 40), very saturated ('saturation' > 35) colour. Then give it a light texture that's less harsh-looking, like ambient_biground (rounder, with more falloff) or round_sin (for a gentle "pulsing" effect). Don't give your light too small of a radius, or you'll get that "spotlight" effect.

I think it would be worthwhile to make a prefab or two with a patch of earth, and multiple mushrooms in it, so the mapper can drop it in, delete the extra ones and be good to go. Such simple things shouldn't take half a day :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right...

I'm trying to create a readable, but after DMAP, I get the following error "num_pages not defined", looking at the wiki dosen't provide incite, but does say its the most common error..

My question is, while Im still playing with the .map(rather than a .pak) can I put the .xd text file in the map folder and just point the xdata_content location there? The file is called my_journal and and I have copied an example .xd from another fm(and edit the details) just to see if it works but get the same error - so I have to conclude its something else...

Where is TDM expecting to find the .xd file, regardless of where its been told it is via the entity properties

Put xdata files in the xdata folder or Dark Mod won't find it.

Num pages not found I think usually means an error in earlier part of the file, an earlier def. I assume you are using a readable prefab and you have checked and the num pages really is there?

If you want to upload it somewhere and pm me the url I'll take a look.

If you want to upload it somewhere and pm me the url I'll take a look.

Ok Ill have another go otherwise Ill pm you a link to my .xd file.. etc

On Another noet where is the info in the wiki about city backdrops..? or is that another skyportal texture that has both sky and a city scape..?

Yes, the same texture goes on any wall, floor, or ceiling. What you see in the editor is the plain texture. But in-game the sky goes where it is supposed to go, the ground ditto, and the sides. Ideally a cityscape only should show glimpses really to be more effective. When I did Chalice it was never intended the player climb up but just get glimpses through the gate or jumping or through the dirty windows upstairs. It was discovered later how to climb up.

Num pages not found I think usually means an error in earlier part of the file, an earlier def. I assume you are using a readable prefab and you have checked and the num pages really is there?

Ok, I think I have found a problem, that hasnt helped me solve me readable issue...

http://modetwo.net/d...adables_Prefabs

The line that says - "Open the file xdata/prefab.xd in a text editor and find that xdata name you copied (tip: F3 to search (usually) paste in the name)"

Wouldnt it be helpful if it mentioned that the user needs to open the tdm_prefabs.pk4 file, which is where the xdata folder that contains the prefab.xd file is located... as apposed to the user looking for a folder and file that don't exist in the root of the DM folder....

Also am I correct in understanding that the .xd file can be called anything as its not used by DR, only by doom. And only the very first line of text in that file is referenced in the 'xdata_content' text entry box in the entity properties..? - if so then this should be mentioned more clearly in the wiki also...

Any all the above aside, I'm still getting an error ' num_pages not defined', well atleast its just one error now, were before there were two...;)

The body of the text that its the 'mymap.xd' files is as follows -

sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand

{

precache

"num_pages" : "1"

"page1_title" :

{

"WTF..."

}

"page1_body" :

{

"For the love of, took long enough.."

}

"page2_title" :

{

""

}

"page2_body" :

{

""

}

"page3_title" :

{

""

}

"page3_body" :

{

""

}

"page4_title" :

{

""

}

"page4_body" :

{

""

}

"page5_title" :

{

""

}

"page5_body" :

{

""

}

"gui_page1" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui"

"gui_page2" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui"

"gui_page3" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui"

"gui_page4" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui" //NO NEED TO DELETE UNWANTED PAGES HERE

"gui_page5" : "guis/readables/sheets/sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand.gui" //COPY LINES & RENUMBER TO ADD PAGES

"snd_page_turn" : "readable_page_turn"

}

Edited by Bikerdude

First, you need to change the header from sheet_paper_hand_jd_hand to something of your own. Because that header actually exists in the prefab. Your header must be unique.

Next you somehow have got a space between . and gui in the last few lines. They should be ...hand.gui not ...hand .gui.

I tested it and it works fine except your formatting needs adjusting, ie to include line spacing.

The reason why the wiki does not mention opening the pk4 is because when that was written the pk4 did not exist nor even thought of at that time. When the pk4 was created we were far too busy launching TDM to even consider an article written a year or two before. But now yes it's worth adding. :)

If you still get an error then have you got something else in the file?

If you still get an error then have you got something else in the file?

Those gaps must have happend when I pasted it onto the forum...grrr..

Thanks for the points Fids, I'll Pm you a link with a zip map & xd files..

[update] cracked it...!

Because I am not familiar with TDMs directory structure, I didn't realise I'm only supposed to have one .xd file in the xdata folder(I have all the other .xd from the startmap and backups of my own .xd in there aswell...

Edited by Bikerdude

Well found another prob..

If I use a sheet paper entity, with paragraphs and multiple pages it works just fine.

But if I try a book and after I choose and edit the correct book .xd layout so it hase the text on the left and right side of the book as I open it etc and I get the old num page error again...

I must be doing something subtly wrong here..

[update] It must have been a typo or a carriage return in there somewhere as Ive now got it working with books as well..

arrgghh only taken a few hours of trial and error...:wacko:

Edited by Bikerdude

Now that you've got it done and over with, you know exactly what to look for the next time a problem occurs. Sounds like when I was beginning coding in Visual BASIC. I just poked it with a monkey stick until the program did what I wanted it to.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

heh, yer...

Im not a massive fan of programing myself, I'm all about the wsywig.

Anyway onwards and upwards, read the relevant sections in the wiki but I think they might be out of date as I have to wing it when trying to attched a key to the side of an Ai..

The map compiled ok, but then i ran the map command, I got the error "couldnt spawn house_key to attache to entity nobel"

any ideas..?

That sounds like you're using def_attach. That's the correct way, but the fool-proof way (even though it messes with ragdoll physics) is to use bind.

Move the key so it's roughly on the nobleman's belt. You can tweak its placement after seeing it in-game.

"bind" "nobel"

"bindToJoint" "RightHips_Dummy" OR "LeftHips_Dummy"

"solid" "0" (to help with physics)

When you def_attach something, It's actually spawning from scratch, picking up everything from a *.def file. You could theoretically def_attach an AI to another AI if you put the right parameters into the tdm_props.def.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

yeah, what MD says. my guess is you are creating a key, giving it a name and trying to def_attach it. don't work.

To add to what MD said, with bind you have to place the actual key on the belt. This is a bit fiddly and if you move the AI later you have to remember to move the key as well! I try to place the key so its pointy end sticks out clear and the ring end is close to the belt but slightly clear. Sometimes when you place it too close it finishes up inside the guard's butt and you can't see it.

You can have any number of .xd files in your xdata folder of any name. But you cannot have any number of xdata definitions (the header at the top of each def.) Each def name must be unique. It's more likely the other files had duplicate def names. Many mappers have put their briefing xdata in another file for instance but it is up to the mapper to organize his files how he likes. In theory you could have a separate .xd file for every book and scroll if you want. Might be easier to edit and an error in one won't crash the others. (mmm... never thought of that before - might be a good idea. ;))

What is the advantage of using the bound key over the one where you get the key to spawn at runtime?

I find it a whole lot easier to just select the AI and add the following args (from the wiki) :

"def_attach6" "atdm:prop_silverkey" //the entity to spawn 
"pos_attach6" "belt_back_right" //where to spawn it 
"name_attach6" "key_private" //this gives attach6 the name "key_private", apparently. Not sure how that works but it is needed later 
"set inv_name on key_private" "Private Quartes key" //Here key_private (attach6) gets an inventory name 
"set name on key_private" "private_key01" //here it gets a name to be used in the map in general, like 

Then :

"used_by" "private_key01" on a door

Seems to work perfectly ingame and makes changing keys etc a whole lot easier and less fiddly for me. So I'm wondering why everyone else seems to do it the manual way :P

Just habit - two or three years of using bind I know it by heart. The def_attach method is probably fine but I'd have to go and search how to do it every time, every key, every purse. Search for key class names I guess. Same number of spawnargs. The only advantage with def_attach is you don't need to position the key - but that's also it's downside. You can't position it exactly where you want or put two keys together etc.

. Might be easier to edit and an error in one won't crash the others. (mmm... never thought of that before - might be a good idea. )

Sweet, so if I understand it correctly each .xd file name has to be unique along with the header(definition) - I assume the header and file name per each xd file can be the same eas each other eg, my_journal/ my_journal and city_gate_notice_1/city_gate_notice_1 and so on..?

The first section you add to an AI entity directly, they will not show in the list - so you need to add them.

The second section you add to a door entity, explaining that it is unlocked by the key you made in the first.

You will not "see" the key on the AI in DR, it will however be spawned when you play the map and work just as a manually made and attached key. You just adjust the key in the AI's args, nice and neat :)

Now with added screenshot (green things are the added args) : DR Screenshot

Edited by Serpentine

You will not "see" the key on the AI in DR, it will however be spawned when you play the map and work just as a manually made and attached key. You just adjust the key in the AI's args, nice and neat :)

Ah.. ive put the key withing grid 1 of his belt (back right)..

Ok Ive nearly got it(getting a spwnarsg error now, but better than it was), btw the way prop silver key dosent exsist, so i used "atdm:key_ornate_silver" instead..

Well it works, but the key wasnt hanging down as it should, it was inline with the belt :rolleyes:......

Edited by Bikerdude

Ah.. ive put the key withing grid 1 of his belt (back right)..

Ok Ive nearly got it(getting a spwnarsg error now, but better than it was), btw the way prop silver key dosent exsist, so i used "atdm:key_ornate_silver" instead..

Well it works, but the key wasnt hanging down as it should, it was inline with the belt :rolleyes:......

I havent been using the ornate models was just providing the wiki sample args(thanks for the reminder tho, will update the wiki), looked fine with the padlock one.

But yeah, if you need fiddly placed keys etc, I'd suggest just going to the normal bind method :)

Well it works, but the key wasnt hanging down as it should, it was inline with the belt

You can't swap models in and out using def_attach, as the specific attach values are set for specific keys.

You tried "atdm:prop_silverkey" and it didn't work? It should.

You can't swap models in and out using def_attach, as the specific attach values are set for specific keys.

You tried "atdm:prop_silverkey" and it didn't work? It should.

Ah so what key should I use that would 'hang' correctly

And yeah the silver key didnt work, so I just picked another one.

But yeah, if you need fiddly placed keys etc, I'd suggest just going to the normal bind method.

What about using the "attach_pos_origin"

Edited by Bikerdude

ok, another question that isnt covered by the wiki (I think...)

I have found the model options for particles - I would like to use the flies on my street lamps, but when I apply it to a light entity, nada...

[update] I was choosing 'model lit' instead of model - doh!

Edited by Bikerdude

And yeah the silver key didnt work, so I just picked another one.

Strange. I'll have to test it locally. It's the same as the gold key, just a different skin.

edit: Hmm, it worked fine for me ( though it showed up as "rusty key" in inventory for some reason).

@warnings: nothing there to worry about, unless something is showing up as black in your map.