The Dark Mod Forums

Beta testers required: bikerdude FM

Bikerdude

Evening taffers

And after 300+hrs over 3 weeks (Ive had a lot of time on my hands) my mission is ready for beta testing.. Ive had taff all response to this request in the ttlg forum (which is odd) I thought I would ask here as well..

Head on over to the wearytaffer and just pm Yandros, tell him I sent you.

I would, but I'm a bit swamped right now (daughter just born yesterday). With all these missions coming out, there might be a bit of tester overload! :unsure:

I've got an oral exam on 7th, but I could participate in your betatesting anyway. It might just happen though, that I decide that I need to learn some more. My studies have upmost priority as you can imagine. But after the 7th you can expect full devotement.

So am I expected to register at those WearyTaffer forums? So far I only betatested maps in private, which is why I haven't heard about that forum until now.

I'm completely swamped with different jobs but if you are still stuck for beta testers then let me know and I will make time.

hehe your Ok Fids, I have enough. But I have a special suprise for some of you TDM'rs, its not any thing big but its a small token of thanks - you`ll see when you get to play it..

So am I expected to register at those WearyTaffer forums? So far I only betatested maps in private, which is why I haven't heard about that forum until now.

It would be preferable, but Im doing some private testing via the PMs on here with 7upMan and Ive just added you. Im hoping to have the mission released before the 7th but I`ll see how it goes..

Saint Lucia updated to 1.0.

ooh I didnt know that had been done, i might have a go myself..

On another note, why are some of my testers getting the "AAS_RAT IS OUT OF DATE" error. I dont on my two pc's

:angry:

And secodnly is there anyway to stop light sources that cant be moved or their radii moved from penetrating through/under/around solid brushes that have the 'no shadow' arg enabled..?

well, I'm not sure SL 1.0 is quite released yet, but sounds close last time I looked.

don't know about the AAS thing...

Nope, noshadow lights go through terrain brushes. Make them cast shadows. Just tryto optimize more by making objects around them not cast shadows.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

well, I'm not sure SL 1.0 is quite released yet, but sounds close last time I looked.

don't know about the AAS thing...

Nope, noshadow lights go through terrain brushes. Make them cast shadows. Just tryto optimize more by making objects around them not cast shadows.

ta.

The AAS thing is because either you did not dmap after some recent changes or, more likely, the latest aas files are not going in the pk4.

How are you making up the pk4?

You need to put into the pk4 (as well as the other stuff) a maps folder containing the latest files of these:

the map file

the aas files

.cm file

.proc file

.script file (if any)

Now you need to sanity test it on your own system before handing it to the beta testers like so:

Put the pk4 in the darkmod\fms folder.

If you copied the above files from the darkmod\maps folder then you must move those files somewhere else or they may be used by you when testing (instead of the ones in the pk4)

Likewise if you instead made a project folder (game folder) during development (eg, doom3\mymap) then you must move those away (or rename the folder eg mymapDEV or mymapORG or whatever.

When you have completely stopped doom3 from finding your originals then you can sanity test by running tdmlauncher and testing your FM actually starts up correctly. If you now see aas out of date then you need to go all the way back. I recommend you delete the pk4 and restore your original maps folder and delete all the aas, cm, proc files then dmap again so doom recreates those files fresh. Then make the pk4 again and hide that maps folder and sanity test again.

And secodnly is there anyway to stop light sources that cant be moved or their radii moved from penetrating through/under/around solid brushes that have the 'no shadow' arg enabled..?

You can always make a simple brush with textures/common/shadow(s?) on it, and put it somewhere to block the light. It's invisible but casts a shadow.

The AAS thing is because either you did not dmap after some recent changes or, more likely, the latest aas files are not going in the pk4.

How are you making up the pk4?

Now you need to sanity test it on your own system before handing it to the beta testers like so:

If you copied the above files from the darkmod\maps folder then you must move those files somewhere else or they may be used by you when testing (instead of the ones in the pk4)

I have been putting the latest files of the correct type into the zip, but maybe where I am going wrong is i am just replacing the existing files. I shall create a new zip each time and see if that corrects the issue. also I have 2 computers and I have been testing (when i remember to) the pk4 on the laptop which is setup as it would be for player etc. It is lower spec so I am able to check for low fps issues etc.

Edited by Bikerdude

If you have a test machine with absolutely no other copies of the FM and you are testing the pk4 that goes out to the beta testers without error (the error message only shows for a few seconds at start of game) then possibility one or more of your beta testers has another copy? Perhaps someone extracted a pk4 to examine the map file to help you?

When betatesting bikerdude's FM I noticed that r_showportals does not work, when the compass is selected. Took me quite some time to figure that out, including a couple of gamerestarts... ;) Anyway, I am wondering what it is about that compass that causes this misbehavior.

Anyway, I am wondering what it is about that compass that causes this misbehavior.

I thinks thats my fault, I have the compass and spyglass in the lockbox, but for some reason they dont appear in the lockbox, but rather in the players inventory.

What should I do, I would like them to be in the lock box...