The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another quaestion:

Regarding the thunder &lightening skybox - how can I limit where the thunder is heard? I have tried putting s_occulsion to 0 and I can still hear it at full volume inside etc..

My little trick:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings#Example_script_to_turn_entities_on.2Foff_when_player_enters_a_location

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

ok, I dont understand what Im doing so I know Im doing something wrong...

void test (entity old zone)

{

sys.println("script test running..");

sys.trigger( $fx_thunder_sky );

}

void main()

{

}

For the purposes of this help request my map is called test, the thunder is outside and I had to take a guess at which enity to turn off - so i assumed that was the thunderfx in the skybox..? With the script above it isnt working.. I can still hear the thunder inside.

ok, I dont understand what Im doing so I know Im doing something wrong...

For the purposes of this help request my map is called test, the thunder is outside and I had to take a guess at which enity to turn off - so i assumed that was the thunderfx in the skybox..? With the script above it isnt working.. I can still hear the thunder inside.

Oh, sorry I was a bit vague. In the thunder prefab there is this trigger_timer entity..

It's name is timer_thunder2

This is the entity, that triggers all the thunder fx entities.

If you trigger this trigger_timer, it will stop firing the thunder effects, thus ending the noise.

BTW: you can edit the wait and random values in this entity to change how often your lightnings strike.

You script looks fine, just make it trigger the trigger_timer instead of the fx entities.

Good luck!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

No need to write it down.

Enter Clear

Enter tdm_ TAB to list all the TDM cvars

Enter condump tdm_cvars.txt and they all get put in a text file in your current FM or darkmod folder for reference. In a decent text editor you can search for eg, loot.

The tutorial you linked is pretty bad.. :-O

Anyway, particle effects are either:

* endless, e.g, they play all the time in a loop (like the candle flames)

* or have a specific number of cycles (e.g. 3, or 1)

If you set "cycles 0.000", it is endless, otherwise repeated so many times.

For your dust, I'd say "cycles 1.000" should be allright.

If you set this partile on a func_emitter, then it should play once. I am not sure that triggering the emitter again will play the particle again, tho. That would be something to try :)

Hope this helps!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Had a problem I have never comes across before and which I ONLY get when I place Ai in the map, ERROR: i >= MAX_REACH_PER_AREA. But then i found the same question asked in the newbies thread so I did some googling and found nothing applicable to my map until I came across following -

`This seems to include lights, with the exception of fogs (where a basicfog texture is applied to the light) and maybe a few other types.

And you would you adam and eve it, the bloody fog light I have in the map was causing the error! But wait its not as simple as that, it wasn't just the light itself but rather a combination of settings, so I unticked all but no shadows and the error went away, so then I went about trying them 1 byt 1 and no error, so then I put the fog light back the way it was when it was producing the error and still no error..... FFS, bah!

•  
  • Put a giant monster clip to fill half the map top to bottom and test again.
  • If no error you know the fault is within the monster clip area but otherwise it's in the other half.
  • Put a giant monster clip to fill half the bad half and test again.
  • Repeat keep halving until you narrow down if there is a local pathing error somewhere you can fix.

Fwiw, the code says you get that error when the number of areas that can reach a particular area is > 256.

Reachability is determined at dmap time (I think), and it tells the game how many areas are reachable (by some criteria that I don't know) from the area an AI is in. This data is used in pathfinding to determine paths and add up travel times across areas, looking for short total travel times.

I suspect that a very complex map could generate this. But since an AI theoretically could reach nearly every area in a map, and we certainly have more than 256 areas in a typical map, something else is probably at work here.

BD, if you can't get rid of the error, I'd be willing to run the map through the debugger and see if anything pops out.

yeah, got rid of the error, my map has 5 levels(floors) 3 of which are above ground.

I placed a big MC brush from the 2nd floor upwards(as no Ai are gonna be up there anyway)

But note, said MC brush cover the inside and outside area's of the map. So until I can be arsed to trouble shoot further I don't know at this point if it was of the single huge outside area (which is quite likely) or some weird geometry bug on the 2nd/3rd floors...

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of Flanders I am now aware of and using the script selection function (very handy when applying the same arg to multiple entities etc.

My questions is how does one go about removing an arg from multiple entities without selection each one and doing it manually. If the only solution is manual, then could I at least turn the args off, I have seen some args have the -1 value which as I understand it turn the arg off..?

the args in question are LOD variables -

dist_check_period

hide_distance

lod_hide_probability