The Dark Mod Forums

A-Z tutorial, adding texture creates leaks.

Xarg

Didn't see this covered anywhere, so here we go.

I installed the vc redist. Using Darkradiant 1.2.1, 32 bit, installer version.

Grid size is 8

Create new map, make box (x 256, y 192, z defaults to 128)

Save map

Block is not visible in the camera window

With this selected, I follow the instructions to apply the cobblestones - blocks_mixed_multicolour texture, right click apply.

Flush the textures as per the instructions (even though I probably don't need to)

Save map

Open TDM, dmap tut (not in its own folder)

I get a leak error, with both room and hollow options. Also get a leak without room or hollow.

Is adding the texture causing these leaks? I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions to the LETTER, and I'm not TOO retarded... why am I getting these leaks only after applying this texture?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Sorry you are having problems Xarg.

I think the tutorial has been changed or my memory is bad or I am stupid or all of the above. :)

Firstly don't use F3 to render true lighting unless you have a VERY powerful system. On a large map there will be a lot of slowdown. There is no need anyway imo except occasionally to test and many of us never use it but test in-game. With F3 full rendering you will not see without a light. I see no point in using it at all and definitely not in this tutorial at the start.

"Click 'textures' and it opens up to show all available textures." is wrong. That is the media browser. 'texture' only shows your current 'pallette' of textures used in your map.

I see no reason to flush textures except when I change a texture or material externally but this might depend on a preference setting. I think mine clears textures when I start a new map anyway. But I think there is a setting to keep all textures you've used so you decide how you like it.

So, without F3 rendering you must be able to see your block (brush) in the camera. Initially when first made it might be default blue texture. If you cannot see it then maneouvre around until you can. Select the whole thing and texture it.

If you use the room option on it and you should insert at least a player start and a light and make sure they are within the room. Then dmap then it must work without a leak.

If it doesn't then check you textured the whole thing. If only some surfaces are textured and some default then it will leak. The only way a texture can cause a leak is if it is of a special type. Some textures will not seal against the void such as decals, water. If one of these is on a single surface of a brush that is against the void (even if the surface itself is not against the void) then there will be a leak. All the general solid textures like stone, wood, etc will all seal against the void.

One other possibility for a leak is if the walls are too thin. I think it has to be very thin though - maybe less than 1 unit. I'd have to check.

Post again if you have any further problem.

Thanks for the reply Fidcal, you actually posted right before I was about to update.

Just to punish myself, I tried again. Room is 192x192x192, and I tried a different texture...... and it worked :wacko:.

Create room, size all pieces to 192, added a block texture, used the 'room' button, put playerstartpoint in, put a light in.... and it worked. No compile errors, (my light is magically floating waist-high on the wall, but who cares!). Is there a problem with the texture suggested in the A-Z? I didn't get it working once with that texture, but using a different one works absolutely fine.

No, that texture is fine. Must be some other reason. Happens all the time to all of us. ;) If curious, try it again and do exactly what you did the second time. It's a bit off-putting when these things happen - especially right at the start of a tutorial - but if you persevere then you'll get the hang of it.

I'm getting there slowly, have resized my room, troubleshot my lighting issue (it comes out of the roof now). Gonna keep trying to do this, I'm all excited now :laugh:

So far I've had no unsolved issues with leaking, though a torch I created seems to be ignoring walls and projecting through them.

(You can also see a texture misalignment on the edges, still debating how to take care of that one. Disregard, fixed.)

post-3717-12698675547_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xarg

I am unsure myself with those. I think someone mentioned trying a shadow texture on the back of the wall.

One idea you might try is drag the torch flame forward a few feet away from the wall. Then press V for vertex and the square dot at the centre of the light changes colour. Drag it back to the cente of the torch holder. Probably make no difference as shadows emanate from that centre anyway but I'm curious if it helps. It might look better if nothing else.

I can give that a try :) (later though, is 3am. Will update with results)

Edited by Xarg

So far I've had no unsolved issues with leaking, though a torch I created seems to be ignoring walls and projecting through them.

Is the light set to noshadows? If so, it will go through things.

Is the light set to noshadows? If so, it will go through things.

It's not, I managed to 'fix' it by shifting the light and altering how far it shines. I'm now getting the same thing with the bottom floor lights, gonna have to find a way to fix it and soon <_<

Update 3/4/10 1.20am.. now I'm not getting any pointfiles generated, and someone dented the submarine <_<

Edited by Xarg

Update 3/4/10 1.20am.. now I'm not getting any pointfiles generated, and someone dented the submarine dry.gif

Go to your Dark Mod main menu, and "Uninstall the Current FM." THEN dmap, when there's no mission loaded.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Ok, lets make sure the pointfiles etc are foolproof.

1. Save your map in DR, then exit DR.
  2. Is your map located somewhere like C:\Doom 3\darkmod\maps\mymap.map ? I suspect it might be.
  3. There are a few things wrong with this, please move your map to : C:\Doom3\mymap\maps\mymap.map (i.e it needs its own folder)
  4. Go and edit C:\doom3\darkmod\currentfm.txt to only have 'mymap' in it. Save that.
  5. Open DR, open your correctly placed map file.
  6. Start TDM, dmap mymap
  7. If it leaked, tell DR to open the pointfile
  8. Lean back, smile; ah that Serpentine... someone should get him with a medal

(or adversely, tell me that didnt work and I'll pm you and have a look at the issue :))

Doing all of this will however pay off when you want to package your fm anyway.

*Bows deeply, and makes extra sure not to steal Serpentine's bag of coins*

Thank you very much sir, that did the trick. Oh glorious glorious ugly red line of error finding, I have you again.

While you're here, I don't suppose you know anything about camera mode not working in DR 1.2.1?

Try making a shortcut to DR and using the compatability options on the shortcut, disable desktop compositing.

It however has been fixed in the next version, but until then that should do.

Any hint of an E.T.A. on the next version? I'll be ok for a while, I'm fleshing out my level atm, not tweaking it up for beta/final release, so some features still not being perfect doesn't bother me at the moment.

No exact date, but the word from greebo is "soon".

So be on the lookout or find another way to disable Aero in the mean time!

XP doesn't have Aero lol... I got camera mode working, by going from 2 monitor extended desktop, to 2 monitor display group. With a combined res of 2880x900 (instead of 1440x900+1440x900) camera mode is now working. :blink:

Maybe DR doesn't support multiple monitors as well as it could?

(You can also see a texture misalignment on the edges, still debating how to take care of that one. Disregard, fixed.)

I had that lightning-through-walls-issue before and I realized that I had added the wrong type of texture to my walls; Make sure the textures name, doesn't have "ns" in the end...that stands for No_shadows and that was my problem :)

Edited by Fieldmedic

Oh man, I confused the two issues. So used to blaming aero for everything... I'll dig around for dual monitor info.

It works fine now, which is a relief. Just played an hour of games with the new config, and it feels like theyre bending outwards even though theyre almost straight... weird on the eyes. TDM looks great in that resolution though

I had that lightning-through-walls-issue before and I realized that I had added the wrong type of texture to my walls; Make sure the textures name, doesn't have "ns" in the end...that stands for No_shadows and that was my problem :)

I uh... wow. There's "ns" at the end of the 2 textures giving me trouble. Thanks so much! Will fix this before coming to ask for more help (helpless lamb I know..)

Hell - I didn't know this either. There are quite a few in my FM. That explains the light leaks! :laugh:

Yep, very helpful advice. Now I just need to work on making additional objectives work, and somehow making my map harder. Maybe it's just because I know everything about it, but it really does seem too easy, not scary/tense, and far too square compressing the level took care of this.... a few more lights, or greater radii on the existing lights, and going anywhere near mainstreet is going to be punishing.

Edited by Xarg

Is there any place to download missing pieces, like prefabs? My install didn't come with any prefabs, so I have no skybox (unless it's somewhere else and I don't know where to look for it), and probably other prefabs that are listed in the wiki that I never seem to have got.