The Dark Mod Forums

Using assets

Bikerdude

if people start copyrighting individual TDM assets with use by permission of author only, i'm gonna be somethin pissed, tell ya what biggrin.gif . I dont see much point to making this entire project totally free and open source if we're going to start getting stingy who owns what assets, yeah? Whats next, prefab sets for $5.00?

Edited by ungoliant

There's only two things that you need to know.

FMs' custom content belongs to its author (or whoever the author describes and attributes).

Everything packaged in Plain-Old Vanilla Dark Mod is CC-NCSA.

Blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah. Blah foo blah yap yap yap yadda. Yadda yap? Blah.

Generally, you should be courteous and ask before ripping apart maps and taking away content.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Yup. Ask the authors Flanders and jdude (I think those are the guys).

The training mission is part of TDM, so it falls under the same license. I am not sure about SL, as it was part of an "official release", but we might just ask jdude to release it under the same license just to be clear. I don't think he would mind but better safe than sorry :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yes, generally ask FM authors if you can use custom content. Personally absolutely everything I do in any FM of mine is free for anyone to use without asking.

But the trainer and St. Lucia are a bit more complicated because many different people worked on them. I did a lot of work on both; the lockpick room, the gamma room, extra work on the stealth area (which is primarily all SneaksieDave's work) and so on.

Personally I'd be happy if the team declare both trainer and St.Lucia to be free to use; they were a team effort after all.

I was thinking that it would be useful if everyone who doesn't mind sharing their content ships their mission with a note that says you can use the custom content freely for Dark Mod missions, and for anything else it needs permission from the author.

That might be troublesome if content used with permission is alongside the free stuff as things propagate.

Personally I'd be happy if the team declare both trainer and St.Lucia to be free to use; they were a team effort after all.

Ok, so who else do we ask..?

I was thinking that it would be useful if everyone who doesn't mind sharing their content ships their mission with a note that says you can use the custom content freely for Dark Mod missions

On that Note my previous mission and upcoming mission will be free for anyone to use, just mention my name if you do use anything etc.

Edited by Bikerdude

I was thinking that it would be useful if everyone who doesn't mind sharing their content ships their mission with a note that says you can use the custom content freely for Dark Mod missions, and for anything else it needs permission from the author.

That might be troublesome if content used with permission is alongside the free stuff as things propagate.

i'm liking this idea, I think all custom content should be freely available to all those who wish to use it for TDM purposes without needing to 'track down' the original author of content like whats happening here in this thread for St. Lucia assets.

There is a further complication here, though. For instance, in my FM i will be using multiple pieces of custom content created by a contributor that I have explicit permission to use. I cannot, however, put a note in my release giving permission for others to use it, although I do think the contributor would intend for that content to be freely available to mappers, even though that is not explicitly stated. But it's not really my place to say.

To the best of my knowledge, my FM is currently the only place where this content is used, so people may mistakenly believe that my permission is required to use these assets. In other words, without such a system as quoted above implemented for each FM release, and maybe even each individual piece of custom content that's created, the simple task of acquiring the rights/permission to use new custom content could end up being a tedious, time-consuming chore.

I vote that permission to use all custom content be (voluntarily) stamped with some sort of non-commercial limited use policy for TDM purposes by willing contributors, and also something in each FM release that uses such content. Maybe someone draw up some legal mumbo-jumbo in a sticky that mappers/contributors could copy/paste in their FM releases or material file comments, etc etc.

Just include a text file called 'permissions' and list all the files that can be used freely, and then list all the files that need permission to use.

If your mission contains only your own free to use content then it's simple.

To further the cause of shared content and help newcomers like myself, I will recommend that FM authors who are inclined to share should post modified FM's as "Starter Maps" like the one in the wiki. If there were a dedicated place to share these Starter Maps then the content re-use implications would be self-evident.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)