The Dark Mod Forums

TDM T-Shirts

SneaksieDave

Since the other thread isn't really about t-shirts, and has since been de-railed, here's a dedicated thread.

Discussion of TDM t-shirts and a supplier began here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10832-main-picture-rights/page__view__findpost__p__214742

Summary without the hop: a friend of over 20 years has a business and is offering to do TDM shirts for us dirt cheap. All we need is the designs and to tell him what to do. More details in the thread.

So, any updates? Designs or further interest. I can get one made just for myself easily enough (just spoke to him 10 mins ago) but that wouldn't much help the rest of you. If you're interested, speak up so we can get things rolling.

Hi. I am the t-shirt guy.

The price is so low because we are a semi-large shop, and we have arrangements with wholesalers for obtaining relatively cheap "blanks". Those are the garments upon which we print custom images. Normally we bulk order hundreds or thousands of blanks for large events (races, sporting events, etc.). Occasionally we do small runs, and that's why I offered to help with this.

Garment printing is significantly different than, e.g., printing on poster board. There are many factors that come into play, including the type of ink, the type of fabric, the fabric weave, etc. We can manufacture pretty much anything you desire, however cost will come into play the more "advanced" you want to get.

I'm happy to do a regular print (on a decent-quality shirt) using spot color printing, which will turn out quite well, last a long time, and be very durable. I am also doing it for SneaksieDave, since he is a friend of mine and I have watched TDM (through him) develop over the past several years. Therefore, there are no setup costs, screen fees, or any of that garbage.

Alternatively, you can easily use any of the popular internet shirt-printing companies, and I can certainly point you to a few of them. I suspect the quality will not be what you desire, and it will be printed on a big automatic press, without any opportunity to proof the final design, or work with the printer one-on-one to develop the final garment, etc. And it will cost about the same.

I'm happy to work with someone/anyone from TDM who would like to spearhead the collaboration, assuming you want to use Rastertec. As has already been mentioned, vector art is required in order for us to make a proper print. There will also be questions about the precise shirt style/quality/color/etc.

Let me know. I can be reached through this board, or directly: db ((at)) rastertec.com.

Thanks.

db

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put me down for 1 t-shirt if its under around $15 US. I'm hoping this is going to be a black based or dark brown t-shirt, correct? A black hoodie would also be totally amaaazing. i wonder if your friend does those.

For the record, I'm not planning to handle orders myself. rastertec has posted here so I guess he would be the contact (post here or address above), unless we all pool together somehow(?) and make a giant order. I have a feeling it's going to be individual or small clusters, but at least we'd benefit from sharing the same design (lower cost for him = lower cost for us). I've alerted him to this thread.

Funny you should mention hoodies, because he mentioned that to me.

Edit: from the other topic: whatever art we do use, it has to be "vector art"

I know I said in the other thread I could put together some designs, but I simply don't have time anymore (that and I have no idea what "Vector Art" is), so you shouldn't wait on me for this.

Vector art is infinitely scalable mathematical formats (dwgs, ais, svgs...) {lines and curves}.

As opposed to resolution-bound "bitmaps" (bmps, jpgs, gifs...) {dots}.

ETA:

The thing is I don't think that converting a bitmap to a piece of vector art is even yet in 2010 a pretty thing. So for whatever graphic(s) y'all are going to use, hopefully you do have the original vector art if it was created that way.

Like all that clockwork? If somebody took a picture of it and just smacked it around with some effects. It's not going to scale very well. Whereas if someone actually drew it? With nodes and such? And then "flattened" it into a bitmap of some sort? that's not so good unless you still have the original vector files.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I know I said in the other thread I could put together some designs, but I simply don't have time anymore (that and I have no idea what "Vector Art" is), so you shouldn't wait on me for this.

If it helps, I can take the highest-resolution artwork that you have on hand and can do the color separation on my end. Not as optimal, but it would get the process started. My email is db ((_at_)) rastertec ((_dot_)) com.

With something in hand, I can at least create mockups, and give a better idea on final price.

Thanks.

db

Tracing a bitmap to a vector drawing (SVG) is possible with Inkscape and other vector editors, but it is a process that requires much "babysitting" by the artist to produce good results. I seem to recall somebody posting an example of the clock image processed in such a way, but I can't see it in the linked thread.

Last thing I recall was that y'all were going to use the DR logo rather than the clockwork because the DR logo would be much easier to "vectorize". Or maybe I'm just remembering what I was thinking.

Anyway, it would be easier and geekier too.

And, btw, I also recall there was a great tagline -- something like: "If You Can Read This, Your Gamma's Too Bright".

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

@greebo: Can I get a 1280x1024 version of the DR logo you linked here? http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10832-main-picture-rights/page__view__findpost__p__214734

Tentative plan is to have TDM front, DR back (and whatever spice seems appropriate if any), and 1280x1024 is the highest res of the TDM splash that we've got, apparently.

Edit: yes a tagline might be appropriate for at least one design.

"Wanted: Sneakin', Thievin', Blackjackin',..."

oh wait that one's taken.

Last thing I recall was that y'all were going to use the DR logo rather than the clockwork because the DR logo would be much easier to "vectorize". Or maybe I'm just remembering what I was thinking.

Anyway, it would be easier and geekier too.

And, btw, I also recall there was a great tagline -- something like: "If You Can Read This, Your Gamma's Too Bright".

Yes the DR logo idea was for a mug, but i think the problem was noone could find a source of BLACK mugs as opposed to plain white, which would totally suck. (and that was my tagline B) )

The DR logo seems a much more personal item, so I think it suits a coffee mug much better. But if i'm going to fly a flag on a T-shirt (or hoodie :rolleyes: ) i'd much rather have a TDM graphic. I think itd be uber badass to, instead of have a tagline on the graphic, to have a nice builder "scripture" quote in fancy flowing script on the back of the clothing article. Maybe one of GC's from NHAT, those were pretty cool.

Edited by ungoliant

Tracing a bitmap to a vector drawing (SVG) is possible with Inkscape and other vector editors, but it is a process that requires much "babysitting" by the artist to produce good results. I seem to recall somebody posting an example of the clock image processed in such a way, but I can't see it in the linked thread.

Yep. I did a manual trace over in Inkscape.

65948954.png

I'd be fine with making changes. Vectors are a breeze to edit but I need detailed suggestions. "it's wrong" won't do me a bit of good.

I'd love that on the back of a hoodie scaled up and in the gold/bronzy colour.

Rastertec's American though isn't it?

Those of us here in the UK would need to sort something out together to keep shipping costs reasonable.

Edited by Namdrol

That looks good. It might be improved by using two colours, one for the ring and the hands and another for the "background" elements inside the clock. With all one colour, the mechanical elements make the hands harder to see.

I'd love that on the back of a hoodie scaled up and in the gold/bronzy colour.

Rastertec's American though isn't it?

Those of us here in the UK would need to sort something out together to keep shipping costs reasonable.

We would be happy to drop ship everything to a single location, if someone volunteers to then re-ship them throughout Europe. Otherwise, we can try to find the fastest/cheapest direct shipping option (parcel post?).

db

For mock-up purposes sure. Two colors would look something like this...

dm2s.png

But I'm apprehensive to expand the color range. We don't yet know what color shirt will be used and it may be cheaper to stick to a single color.

One option to help distinguish between the foreground and background elements is the use of pattern fills like this...

dm2i.png

Which method is preferred? What color shirt will be used? What color(s) should the logo be? Are there any other details I have missed?

For mock-up purposes sure. Two colors would look something like this...

dm2s.png

But I'm apprehensive to expand the color range. We don't yet know what color shirt will be used and it may be cheaper to stick to a single color.

One option to help distinguish between the foreground and background elements is the use of pattern fills like this...

dm2i.png

Which method is preferred? What color shirt will be used? What color(s) should the logo be? Are there any other details I have missed?

These are both good ideas. If you want to send me the vector files, I'll be happy to work up some mockups using both on several different shirt colors. Additional colors are not that much more, maybe $0.50 extra per shirt.

db

Do people want the entire design to be the clock? Or should we attempt to have the streetlamp be included, or a tower which holds the clock or building silhouettes, etc?

Also, though I'm sure this is answered somewhere, a quick search hasn't turned it up: which font do we use for the official logo? That'll have to be remade, and larger.

Also, though I'm sure this is answered somewhere, a quick search hasn't turned it up: which font do we use for the official logo? That'll have to be remade, and larger.

The logo font is called Dark11 on my system. I have the TTFs somewhere, if you need them.