The Dark Mod Forums

Apparently 1.03 won't work on Win2000?

Springheel

You can make Windows 2000 compliant compiles but it requires a number of workarounds (according to a quick Google romp).

Here's one known problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2005279

(I won't hazard to guess how difficult or numerous those workarounds are... :unsure: )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I do have WinXP (you didn't even read that post, did you?). But I don't like it. Win2k is much faster concerning loading times in DarkMod than XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1131

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

2000 was the last Microsoft OS that I really liked. I've actually got an authentic copy sitting right next to me, box and all! If it is too much trouble to get TDM running in 2000 again, you could always install a small Linux partition. My custom Debian install uses about 130 megs of ram at a desktop, or under 100 with a simple window manager. Just stay away from Ubuntu if you want a light system.

I've got Windows 2000 installed as a VM on this laptop, so maybe I could try TDM there. Let me know if I can help, but remember that gaming in a VM is (pretty much) still a joke.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

One of the links in the article I posted suggests that the limitations place on Win2000 support in VS 2010 are artificial.

It's short, so i'll quote it.

One of the rather important things missing in the list of Breaking Changes for Visual C++ in Visual Studio 2010 is that applications generated by VS2010 no longer support Windows 2000. Usage of W2K has fallen under 0.5%, but that's still a very large number of users. This was pointed out by Martin Richter in the Community Content. However, the actual story is a little more complex.

I built a C++ application to see what functions are actually being called. When examined in DEPENDS under Windows 2000, these are the functions that are undefined:

DecodePointer

EncodePointer

ReleaseActCtx

CreateActCtxW

ActivateActCtx

DeactivateActCtx

The interesting thing is the DecodePointer and EncodePointer are documented as only being available in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later. This means that the minimum system requirements for an application generated by Visual C++ 2010 is WinXP SP2, or Windows Server 2003 SP1 for server versions of Windows.

In addition, DUMPBIN shows that the required version of Windows has been bumped from 5.00 to 5.01, which is Windows XP.

What's really annoying is that none of these calls are required under Windows 2000. These calls appear to be an artificial limitation purely for the purposes of preventing end-of-life versions of Windows from working properly.

I didn't use VC++ 2010 to compile the TDM DLL nor the TDM Updater, the error they posted is related to the WS2 library which I linked against to add download capabilities to TDM.

I could look into this, but I first need to set up a VM with Win2000, I can download that from MSDN. No guarantee that there is a way out of this though, I definitely won't bend over backwards and invest several days to get it to run in a more than ten year old OS.

edit: bummer, my MSDN subscription doesn't offer a download for Win2k. Maybe I have a copy on my HDD at home.

fibanocci, does this updater work in Win2k?

http://www.dramtheth...m_update_w2k.7z

No, it doesn't work. I put it into an old TDM (1.02)-folder. Is this okay?

dynn.jpg

New Horizon, I've tested the file you gave to me. I got the same error message (couldn't load game dynamic library) . I'm currently downloading the torrent to make sure I have all the files from 1.03 and try it again.

New Horizon, I've tested the file you gave to me. I got the same error message (couldn't load game dynamic library) . I'm currently downloading the torrent to make sure I have all the files from 1.03 and try it again.

As greebo has not pointed out, it's not a problem with us using VS 2010 but rather the WS2 library. I don't think downloading again is going to help considering things worked under Windows Xp....this is a W2k issue.

fibanocci, can you try to install the GDI+ redistributable on your Win2k: http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Does this help?

Yes it worked...until the updater got a new updater, then I got this message

freeaddrinfo cannot be found in WS2_32.DLL

I found this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms737931%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Edited by fibanocci

Yes it worked...until the updater got a new updater, then I got this message

freeaddrinfo cannot be found in WS2_32.DLL

Yes, of course, the updater detects the discrepancy between your test updater and the one on the mirrors and will try to correct that first.

Please check the --noselfupdate option when running the test updater.

Of course, I didn't recompile the gamex86.dll so far, I wanted to make sure that the fix works for the updater. Now that I know that I can work on a game DLL fix.

For TDM 1.03, it will boil down to a documented workaround for Win2000 users, for TDM 1.04+ the fix will already be included.

I'll post a new game pak here for you to test soon.