The Dark Mod Forums

Return to the City V2

Bikerdude

Evening

Can everyone who has/is playing RttcV2 please post the following information as follows:

System config

•  
  • Cpu - Qx9650
  • Gfx - GTX480
  • Ram - 6Gb DDR2-1066
  • OS - Win7X64
  • Res - 1680*1050
  • AA - 4x
  • AS - 16x
  • Vsync - On
  • AR - enhanced (ambient rendering)
  • IS - Enhanced (interaction shader)
  • OD - very high (object detail)

(just post the settings you have used)

Frame rate

•  
  • At start position - 53FPS
  • Bottom of dirt alley - 63fps
  • Chantry scaffolding - 63fps
  • Builder bell tower - 53fps

See attached pictures of the locations below

On very low end PC's with a "Pentium"4 or "HD2400pro" that are even considered low for vanilla Doom3, I recommend that V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower and "Ambient rendering" & "interaction shader" are set to their lowest settings. Also playing any tdm mission I suggest you do a fresh reboot of windows, this will flush the ram which enables a few extra fps in tdm.

^_^

post-496-129909110233_thumb.jpg

post-496-129909110891_thumb.jpg

post-496-129909111537_thumb.jpg

post-496-129909112085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Will do soon .

I am updating to 1.04 now; will use it to get RTTC v2; will also use a couple of add-ins: grayman's "Withdraw Weapons Fix" (unless it's already official in? haven't investigated) and Tel's "[2011-02-21] Tels' "Black Light"...

BTW, for those who don't know the FPS metric display is activated by getting to the console (should be able to do this with a Ctrl+Alt+` {left of the 1 key on most keyboards, just ask if you can't get into the console or otherwise}) and then typing "com_showFPS 1"). ...I think that's right, right?

BD, can you post pics of the positions where to read the fps? Like, where to stand on the Builder Bell Tower etc. After all, a look in just a slightly different direction may cause the fps rate to change.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Shadowhide, what Dual-Core do you have? Intel or AMD? And what type? The differences between the various generations are enormous, even with the same clock speeds. For example, a Pentium 4 dual-core can in no way be compared with a Sandy Bridge d-c.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• CPU - Q8200 @ 2.33GH
  • RAM - 4Gb DDR2-1066 (Only using 3GB... see OS; also guessing at data-rate... at this point I've forgotten, but that seems right)
  • Gfx - 8800 GT w/512MB
  • Rez - 1400x1050
  • OS - XP SP3
  • Antialiasing - 16x
  • Anisotropy - 16x
  • VSync - On
  • Ambient Rendering - Enhanced
  • Interaction Shader - Enhanced
  • Post Processing - Enabled
  • Object Detail - Normal

Frame Rates

• At start position - 20 as dropped in... 30 if I do a 180.
  • Bottom of dirt alleyway - Not sure where this is but if it's near the beginning to the left? 10-20.
  • Chantry scaffolding - Haven't been there yet.
  • Builder bell tower - Haven't been there yet... which leads to:

This thread does need some reference shots ALONG with a SPOILER tag in the title. Let people play the mission and then report back I'd think, eh?

So those frame rates seem less than hoped for maybe, but, I never had anything to complain about with the original and if I hadn't been "looking" here I wouldn't have been bothered either.

As a matter of fact, so far I've got a lot of praise that I'll drop in the proper thread when I'm finished. Starting with the wind-chimes! :D

System config

Cpu - Q6600 @2.4

Gfx - GTX460

Ram - 4Gb DDR2-800

OS - Win7X64

Res - 1680*1050

AA - 4x

AS - 16x

Vsync - Off (just round down to 60, 30 or 20 fps)

OD - very high

PP - enabled

AR + IS - enhanced

Frame rate

At start position - 34FPS, 32 with Guard

Bottom of dirt alleyway - 22fps

Chantry scaffolding - 26fps

Builder bell tower - 29fps

after restart:

AA - 2x___AF - 2x: _63 - 57 - 63 - 63

AA - 4x___AF - 8X: _63 - 51 - 63 - 63

AA - 4x___AF - 16x: 63 - 47 - 59 - 63

AA - 8x___AF - 16x: 63 - 45 - 55 - 63

AA - 16x__AF - 16x: 34 - 28 - 26 - 31

update:

AA 4x, AF 16x: 38 - 42 - 43 - 42

Edited by Xcen

Open Nvidia Control Panel ->

Manage 3D Settings ->

Bottom half of list locate "Threaded Optimization" <-- Set to NO / Off

Also set "Multi-display/Mixed GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

3GB RAM

Dual Core E7400 2.9ghz

GeForce GTS250 512 mb

OS win XP SP3

And the fps rates?

Antialiasing - 16x

That amount of AA is overkill, specially on a low-to-mid range card.

On very low end PC's with a "Pentium"4 or "HD2400pro" that are even considered low for vanilla Doom3, I recommend that V-sync is off, AA is off, Aniso is 4x or lower and "Ambient rendering" & "interaction shader" are set to their lowest settings. Also playing any tdm mission I suggest you do a fresh reboot of windows, this will flush the ram which enables a few extra fps in tdm.

Edited by Bikerdude

I am really tempted to dust-off my Radeon 9500pro and see how bad it does on this one. I never tried it with TDM since Saint Lucia (which was just barely playable with low settings...). :laugh:

I guess I should also try my 7300GT while I'm at it.

Does New Horizon still have that FX5200 lying around? :unsure:

(Lowest hardware to test this map wins! :D )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Sorry to hear that, most of us are in a similar boat. What's wrong with the psu is there anything I can help with..?

There had been a leaky capacitor on it. They're cheap, so I replaced it and everything worked perfectly for months. Then the symptoms started showing up again, locking up, crashes. I checked the motherboard and everything is fine, and I don't see any more faulty capacitors within the PSU...but there must be one somewhere, it's just not showing up.

The soldering connection on the capacitor I replaced looks sturdy, but I might try swapping it out with the spare I bought. At this point though, it makes more sense to replace the PSU.

Er. have you turned down your AA from 16 to 2 or 4 like I suggested..?!

No. As I said, I don't have a problem with these frame rates. I know full well how to adjust things if I do need to, but I'm not bothered.

I could speak a bit more on the way some of you obsess about details and tweaks -- literally spending months messing with these things -- and then turn around and speak of toning down features that do indeed have an impact on every scene in every moment as if that's nothing but "overkill". :laugh::P;)

The only time I really have a lag problem is when I cross a threshold (which I assume is a VP or related situation) where a whole lot of textures need to be loaded... this is a bottleneck. A true bottleneck. And it's a bottleneck that can be made worse or better, btw...

Here's my general philo:

Out of the box -- without obsessing -- TDM kicks T2 (&etc) in the ass. Graphics-wise. (It also does so in so, so, so many other ways!).

People speak of the way T2 "lets you use your imagination" when they try and downplay this fact, this fact that OOTB, TDM murders T2... Well, I don't buy that; it's silly. But if you must go there then I'll play that too for getting 20 FPS, because, I'm telling you... I would not have taken any notice if I hadn't turned the FPS display on.

Antialiasing is something that affects everything. A long established and long worked on fix for making everything look better. I'll keep it high unless I need to adjust it down.

As I also said, I love a lot of what you've done in this mission. The big details(?) mean more to me personally. :D

Edited by Aprilsister

CPU - Q9450 @3.6GHz

RAM - 4Gb DDR2-900

GFX - GeForce 8800GTS

OS - Win 7 64-bit

Res - 1680*1050

AA - 4x

AF - 16x

Vsync - Off

Ambient Rendering - enhanced

Interaction Shader - enhanced

Post Processing - disabled