The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Characters

7upMan

Hi guys, I'm looking for a name for the player character in Johannes' upcoming FM. In order to find a suitable name in an existing FM (or to have help in finding a better fitting name), I need a list of the playable characters that appeared so far. The wiki isn't really helpful, as it lists only two characters: Corbin (Thieves, Builder's Influence) and Farrell (Thief's Den, Chalice of Kings, Heart of Lone Salvation). What other names did come up in the 30+ FMs so far?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

My creation is Thomas Porter, as seen in the all the Porter -series missions.

Also when I made the Beleaguered Fence, I put in a readable which mentions Ulysses, a deadly assassin. I was thinking of making maybe a hitman-styled assassination mission, which would be starred by Ulysses. Maybe later I will if I have time...

I'd like to have Porter and Ulysses restricted for my own mission player characters, at least for the time being.

Wiki released and upcoming mission lists tell the following names:

Selis Woderose (Jesps)

William Steele (grayman)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

That makes five characters so far. Along the lines of the aforementioned names we have found two names we can decide from. More will be revealed later.

Feel free to use Farrell if you want. Just keep in mind his earlier informant was Sam and later Lady Clara Granville so depends if the FM is set before or after the Den series. But these informants are not his only source of info so can be ignored or either used whatever. Lady Clara might be seen either as a rogue with dark clothing with a bow and arrow as her weapon of choice or else as a noblewoman - also dressed in dark. It all depends what task she is on - infiltrating a nobleman's banquet or stalking over the rooftops. She might be a player character in her own right one day.

The main character in my FM really relevant to other FMs was Archibald Damuddy, who runs an opium & contraband smuggling operation from the Highlands Ward in Bridgeport (and he has status in city politics; he's nobility, not a huge figure, but not small), then his main operative is Fressard, and Harlan is about to join his ranks as a participating shipper, with Robert being his first mate. So you can refer to these names if you want, helps fill out the background criminal scene. Soren Rikk was the amateur inventor whose notes you stole; he might crop up again with some scheme or another someday too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Jesps, thank you for those invaluable resources. Sotha, Fidcal & Dem, thanks for your input. By now I have compiled a extensive list Johannes and I can now choose from.

Jesps, thank you for those invaluable resources. Sotha, Fidcal & Dem, thanks for your input. By now I have compiled a extensive list Johannes and I can now choose from.

Would you be willing to put the list of "used" names on the wiki with a short reference? The next mapper choosing a name could then look up what not to use :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I thought a list of names would be good for world building, so people could refer to NPCs in readables and fill their story out more. I understand this is for picking player-character names, but while we're at it it's good to have NPCs too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

There is a page like that: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Universe#Notable_Characters

Could use some updating though.

Would you be willing to put the list of "used" names on the wiki with a short reference? The next mapper choosing a name could then look up what not to use :)

I will, though I can't add any backstory, as this is something the original mapper must do. Simply extracting the names from this thread should be enough, right?

I have

Ziggy - pagan tramp and general scrounger.

Lord Edward Dufford - head of order of fire. (deceased)

Charles Dufford - new lord and head of order of fire.

Lord Knuckles - knight of the order of fire.

Lord Ribald - knight of the order of fire.

Lord Rodney - knight of the order of fire.

Lord Shipping - knight of the order of fire.

Drake - head of order of water. (deceased)

Zac MacKleakly - useless adventurer

father McGrews - quack doctor.

Vlad Dillions - dodgy dealer of all things dodgy.

King Urgo the Vacant - stuffed ruler of city of Lunarium. head of the order of earth.

Lord Slyfingers - currently possessed by the essence of the fungi lord (brother of the wood lord, local pagan religious figures)

Wood lord - pagan god of life.

Fungi lord - pagan god of death. main storyline person.

Baron de Plankk - current elected ruler of city of Lunarium (whoever gets elected gets called Baron de Plankk followed by a number). main storyline person.

city of Lunarium - (walled city state) 8000 mile east of Bridgeport, beyond the edge of the empire, in a very hot swampy area.

Zith the Sorceror - main storyline person.

Zot the magician - main storyline person.

High priestess Gabrolex - head priestess of local pagans. main storyline person.

Reginal "Red" Rouge - name of player. (local thief for hire to anyone who needs something normal thieves wouldn't do). main storyline person.

Leo von Clumpenthumpon - Illusionist (deceased)

Lord Rose - Head of the knights of the order of Rose.

Father Flanders - Priest of oak village church (deceased). Member of the Wetshed Inquisition.

So any name can be used by anyone else except main storyline people if possible. if not, doesn't matter.

• Like 1

There is a page like that: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Universe#Notable_Characters

Could use some updating though.

That's perfect.

I don't see any "Edit" links so I guess it's set up with permissions, though; probably for the best.

If people want to add stuff here I can put it on the wiki page. I'm not just going to add any old character mentioned in a readable, however. It should be a somewhat significant character in a map that clearly belongs to the TDM setting (which rules out dragon riders, sorry).