The Dark Mod Forums

Farrell, The Thief

oDDity

I don't usually post WIPs, but I thougt I would in this case since this model is taking a lot longer than my usual 2 or 3 days, and because I'm departing quite a bit from the concept art.

SH's concept art is great, but it's too fantasy and T3 for my liking.

I'm going for a realistic, badass, thieves guild taffer look, more like you might get in a gritty T1/2 style era.

post-5-1108418739.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very good model so far!

theres something ive been wanting to ask for ages, you do texture the model 'while' youre modeling? or is it just some procedural mat? :)

It's just a surface colour, though by setting the specularity and glossiness values, and throwing on a little bump, I can make the surfaces look more or less what they are supposed to be.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I like the sword length. Can we do away with the jagged edge on the tunic? That's a much more medieval trapping than any of the other outfits. Otherwise, I like it.

Well that jagged leather edge style is more Tudor/Elizabethan. I think it's adds some distinction to the model rather than just having the plain old boring normal predictable square bit of jacket at the bottom like every other thief model that's ever been made (and I've made 5 of them)

Anyway, if you see it on the finished model and still don't like it I can change it, it can be done in 15 minutes.

I realise the body armour is different from yours, but that means that deep omega can finish his model. We are having a thieves guild, so we're going to need other thief models as well.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, that's fair enough. My design was more of a "D&D adventuring thief" ready for zombies, burricks and crypts as well as mansions. Our campaign character seems more of a typical urban thief. But keep the fingerless gloves. ;)

Definitely not a cape, bt a cloak certainly. We agreed he's have a cloak for badass sexy reasons in renders like this one below (and this model is mainly for showing our flagship main charcater model in renders) but he won't wear a cloak 'on the job' and since w're only going to see him in the game very rarely in mirrors it hardly matters.

It's pretty obvious that a thief would not wear a cloak while on a job, it's just too cumbersome.

The 'low res' version of this model will still be pretty high res since it's only for cutscenes.

kfmccall, if you look very carefully you can see that you're actually looking though the v-neck to the wall behind. The jerkin has no body inside it) Some people's monitor are a lot dareker than others though, so it's hard for me to be sure exactly how much detail others are seeing.

post-5-1108461543.jpg

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

Update: Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on him recently, but he's definitely getting there. Exactly where 'there' is, I'm not 100% sure yet, I tend to model with no clear idea of where I'm going, and just make it up as I go along.

post-5-1108945445.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

This monitor is too dark to get a good look at it, but I love the gloves, and I like the change to the bottom of his tunic. :)

I was particularly happy with the bracer/glove combo I invented, I'd love a pair of these in real life)

This is really the most important part of the model, since it's the only part you see in the game 99% of the time.

post-5-1108946378.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Damn, very nice. Medieval stealth operative, I like it!

So I can't quite tell from looking at the glove/bracers, are the metal clasps going to be on the inside (ie, what the player sees all the time), or are those going on the outside and the leather "X" is on the inside? From the full body shot it looks like X faces outside, clasps face inside, but I couldn't tell from the glove closeup. I'm just curious, either way would probably fine (although I might tire of looking at shiny clasps after a while :) )