The Dark Mod Forums

Farrell, The Thief

oDDity

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are we calling this guy. I think he DOES need a name. There's nothing cool about 'tjhe man with no name' He's an ex-noble who probably had a two or three word name, and it just doesn't make sense to have him nameless. He will be interacting with a lot of people in the game, he's well known among the thieves guild, I hope we will be learning something of his past, so he needs a name.

edit: BTW my first choice is Debian - Debian Alverstone. The surname doesn't really matter.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Picking the name for our thief would make a good public contest if we have a need for one. Actually, people would probably throw out names for no other prize then having their name picked. Then we could make a short list and vote on them.

As I said, if you can come up with a good reason why the Thief used to be a noble that fits into the plot I'll include it. I'm not against our character having a long-winded back-story, as long as the player is told it for a good reason. We could always include it in the manual, anyway. As for our Thief's name, I've been calling him 'Picasso'. But he might as well remain unnamed.

I'm currently reading a tutorial on zero gravity modeling just incase I need it in the future:P

edit:As for the name - if he has no background and is just 'a thief' then no name is required, but if he is this ex-noble whos risen to the top of the thieves guild, that's quite a rich history which requires a name IMO.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Great stuff there as usual. The only thing that jumps out at me as a "bit weak" is somewhere in the hip region. Kinda narrow, or small, or something. Maybe if the tunic was a tad longer or bulkier or ... I'm not sure. It's like, every other part of it is badass and strong, while the hip region is lacking something. Or that his legs are long, but he has no crotch. Then again, I don't have a great eye for picking things like that out (except in retrospect :huh: ).

I've realized that my incessant drooling over these is of no real help so I'm trying to be a bit critical, constructively.

Regarding the name, no ideas yet. But every time I see the word Debian, I think of lesbians. Hope I didn't just spoil that for everyone. Hey wait! Uncle Gay and Desbian the Thief. Interesting.

Edit: Staring at it more... maybe some kind of knee protection/padding/gear? If he can protect his forearms and elbows, why not the knees. Though I think a longer tunic or a "bit more meat" in the hip/wait/upper thigh region might make all the difference.

Edited by SneaksieDave

Hey oDDity, I was wondering if I could get a screenshot of the thief from you (I heard you may not get PMs, so I'm reposting here). I'm redoing our website with in-game art, and it's dying for the thief model. Do you think you could send me a pic of the thief from the waist up, in a similar pose to this: http://www.mindplaces.com/save/webpage1.jpg

I'd love to get the model in before the site goes public, in about a week's time. :)

Other possible thief names I feel would work, no particular order:

Grayson (English)

Tiernan (Irish)

Jarrett ;) (English)

Flemming (Danish)

Jerrik (Danish)

Debian, which was mentioned before, just reminds me too much of Deborah (fem).

It's not finished yet SH, I'm so bored and pissied off looking at it by now I have to tie myself down to my chair and bribe myelf with money to open it up in lightwave.

The modeling is dione and it's 60% textured, I'll finish it up in the next few days.

I'm not sure what oyu mean by 'a pose similar to that one' - that's just him standing their in the da vinci pose, an anti-pose if you like.

I do get PMs BTW.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, don't cause yourself any trauma. :) At the moment it will probably be another week or week and a half before the website is ready and I can work with placeholder art until then.

I'm not sure what oyu mean by 'a pose similar to that one' - that's just him standing their in the da vinci pose, an anti-pose if you like.

I meant in a pose something like this:

thiefbanner.jpg

With him looking back over his shoulder. At the moment the corner of the site looks like this:

webpage3.jpg

using the michaelangelo pose. But that's a little too stiff to use.