The Dark Mod Forums

July 4th - 2011 - Doom3 $5 on Steam

Baddcog

July 4th - 2011 - Doom3 $5 on Steam

Yeah, not much of a thread, much to say, but it is only $5, if you've been waiting to get it on the cheap...

This allows you to play TheDarkMod, keep in mind you have to be online while running it through Steam

(I know we all know this but I'm double posting at TTLG so...)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm curious to know why you are so sour to Steam Biker? I have a lot of games and have never had any issue that wasn't solved by Valve (aka password/email changes)

And why Shadow is so sour period. Also we don't encourage Software Theft on these forums Shadow so if you don't mind...

I agree physical copies and no internet requirement is nice, and at first I was very hesitant of Steam, but after 4 years of using it I have no issues.

I think I paid $10 for a hard copy, unfortunately it's CD's and when I do have to instal it takes forever to swap the 4 CD's and load it. I played through Doom3 once and it was OK, but having it for TDM is priceless.

I'm curious to know why you are so sour to Steam Biker? I have a lot of games and have never had any issue that wasn't solved by Valve (aka password/email changes)

And why Shadow is so sour period. Also we don't encourage Software Theft on these forums Shadow so if you don't mind...

I agree physical copies and no internet requirement is nice, and at first I was very hesitant of Steam, but after 4 years of using it I have no issues.

I think I paid $10 for a hard copy, unfortunately it's CD's and when I do have to instal it takes forever to swap the 4 CD's and load it. I played through Doom3 once and it was OK, but having it for TDM is priceless.

I agree that Steam is good. I've had my account since Steam went beta in 2002 and I've never once ever had an issue with it. I've spent hundreds of dollars and saved thousands using their service. If I was really paranoid about losing my games because they're digital, steam has a backup feature which I could use to move all my games to a different HD. Also contrary to many thoughts on steam, you do not need to be online to play a game, you just need to be online to download a game. Also if you want the manual, most good steam games have a manual option if you right click the game where you can view it. And tbh I don't like physical copies of games anymore, I don't like the physical space they take up, how fragile they are, or having to swap install from physical drives. Doom3 is one of the last games I ever bought in its physical form. Why spend the time swapping 4 cds and entering a cd key when I could double click doom3, go do something for 30 mins come back and it's ready to play?

I adore Steam.

ps: Shadowhide the doom3 engine and its assets make TDM possible. They spent more time and effort than we did making that engine, testing it, refining it and making D3 assets. Their hard work made our hard work possible. Have the integrity to pay $5 to support their hard work and ours.

Also contrary to many thoughts on steam, you do not need to be online to play a game, you just need to be online to download a game.

So why is there this belief? This is the main reason I have not used Steam and I think many others. Seems that Steam ought to take out a double-page spread to announce "You don't need to be on-line to play games." Or is it a secret for some reason to reduce the number of people who use Steam? If you don't need to be on-line except to download then it is the same as most downloadable software so what's the difference?

If your internet goes down for whatever reason Steam should just pop up a window with an option to go to offline mode. Sadly for me it (almost) never works. I think I've managed to get into offline mode maybe 5-10 times out of probably a 100 tries at least. So yeah, you might have to be on-line to play your games

The biggest issue is the first-run authentication. Even if you buy a game like Duke Forever right now from the local shop, you will have to go on Steam to activate it just to play it at all. So, what happens when Valve decide to close up shop or get bought out? Given the disgusting attitude from most game publishers towards their fans (leaving disk checks in decade old games that prevent us from using them on netbooks), we should at least be concerned about an online authentication required to even play in the first place.

Steam can also raise its requirements in the future, and you're stuck. Either you have to upgrade your OS to keep enjoying your old games, or find a new hobby.

The entertainment industry has repeatedly shown its lack of respect for the honest person as a whole with these online authentication schemes, sometimes selling you an "upgraded" version that stops the activation requirement (Itunes Plus). In other cases, they leave the honest user stranded with unusable files (in the case of the second link).

Then we have the idea that a downloadable game on an outdated engine (like Duke Forever) that wasn't even fully designed for our target platform should cost $49.99, which is just greed. Now they don't even have to ship you a disk or a box and they try and charge the same amount.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The biggest issue is the first-run authentication. Even if you buy a game like Duke Forever right now from the local shop, you will have to go on Steam to activate it just to play it at all. So, what happens when Valve decide to close up shop or get bought out? Given the disgusting attitude from most game publishers towards their fans (leaving disk checks in decade old games that prevent us from using them on netbooks), we should at least be concerned about an online authentication required to even play in the first place.

Steam can also raise its requirements in the future, and you're stuck. Either you have to upgrade your OS to keep enjoying your old games, or find a new hobby.

The entertainment industry has repeatedly shown its lack of respect for the honest person as a whole with these online authentication schemes, sometimes selling you an "upgraded" version that stops the activation requirement (Itunes Plus). In other cases, they leave the honest user stranded with unusable files (in the case of the second link).

Then we have the idea that a downloadable game on an outdated engine (like Duke Forever) that wasn't even fully designed for our target platform should cost $49.99, which is just greed. Now they don't even have to ship you a disk or a box and they try and charge the same amount.

Still Biker still hasn't responded and not saying he's avoiding or whatever, but I'm still curious.

See this bothers me a bit.

Trying to drum up players/support for TDM so I post that Doom3 is cheap now and we start to get arguments about why to NOT buy Doom3.

Is this going to help our cause? If you don't like Steam, fine. Either say why or keep it to yourself, don't scare off possible players.

First Biker leaves a post about the horrors of Steam but offers no proof/reason.

Then lost_soul makes a post, but offers no real perspective on Valve. First, yes they are stopping support on Win2000, like that post says, it's 0.01% of their user base. If you are that stuck on an old OS, sorry, most companies will probably end support at some point. Maybe it's YOU who needs to update and not expect companies to continue to support antiquated systems that people barely use.

I'd really like to see Linux support for Steam for more than servers, but I guess they don't see it as viable right now.

As far as Valve being compared to Apple/MS. You're literally comparing apples to oranges. Apple has always been a snobby, we do what we want and screw everyone else. We'll over charge, over liscense everything. Don't like it buy something else. Games on Mac are a pretty new development.

MS has always had a fairly similar approach, though more open to a larger base/not as restrictive on hardware vendors as mac.

Valve started off as a really small studio who always appreciated their customers and still to this day does a lot to please them. They probably have the pickiest/bitchiest customers because of this too. People spend all day long at Steam forums complaining about the smallest most rediculous things because VALVE LISTENS.

If id still wants to charge $50 for Doom3 in 20 years, that's id. Valve doesn't choose store prices, they just get a percentage of the devs chosen price. If id wants to sell it for 50 cents they can, if they want to sell it for $50 they can.

As far as online verification, yeah it's a bit of an annoyance. But you can't even run windows without it these days. Or you have to call the company and get a key... It's a fact of life, companies want to protect themselves against pirating so they have to come up with solutions. Recall even in this thread on this forum someone brings up pirating software.

I seriously doubt we will see the end of Steam any time soon. It's got to be the most successful digital software distribution model for games to date. Valve is making too much on it to sell it. Why would they? Most games I buy have a fairly short life anyway. I play them once, maybe twice if they are good. Most I get on Steam REALLY cheap. (under $10).

Very few have stood the test of time like T2. Doom3 will only do that because of TDM. If Steam dies, is sold, or no longer supports XP in 10 years, well, I still think $5 for Doom3 to play TDM for 10 years is a pretty damn good deal.

Nobody is saying they should have to support Win2k forever, but folks who paid for games that only required Win98 or Win2k should not be expected to upgrade just to keep playing the old games they bought.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I don't suppose this is a good time to chip with "Why not install XP and have 2000 in a VM"?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I'm curious to know why you are so sour to Steam Biker?

A few reasons, firstly the attitude of Valves customer care dept and their greedy/fat ceo. Secondly the fact that impossible to sell a game on after having finished playing it, is unacceptable when you consider that this 'digital' version of the game are costing the same as full retail (look at Portal2, £35 for 10hrs playtime, ffs...). And lastly Valve and others are under the mistaken beleive that they can dictate terms to the paying customer which is also unacceptable. So I vote NO against valve/steam the only way I can with my wallet.

And regarding Doom3 on steam (or any other digital download medium), how many times have people had problems running mods or other addons that run perfectly fine with retail versions of the game. The Darkmod being no exception! And on the subject of digital downloads, we have the extreme end of the scale that some games wont work/play if we the paying customer god forbid have our internet connection go down...And what guarantee do we have that said server will be still around in a few years or that the game will even be supported. None of these issue effect a physical copy.

Trying to drum up players/support for TDM so I post that Doom3 is cheap now and we start to get arguments about why to NOT buy Doom3.

I never said or intended that, you can buy Doom3 from any games retailer for £5/$5(or less) and I actively encourage that line of thinking, just avoid steam or any other 'digital' download medium.

@Biker,

Fair enough, everyone had their own opinions.

At first I felt the same as you and really wasn't interested in Steam. But like I said no issues in years. And I guess if you like to sale games when you're done physical is the only way to go. I used to just give spares to my sisters kids, nowadays they just sit around anyway.

I don't think Valve's all that greedy though. Sure they want to turn a profit, that's how they stay in the games business.

Portal 2 being over priced. Yeah maybe, but it was released just months ago at $50, now it's $35. They gave away free copies of Portal and that was fun. The SP is 10 hours, but it also has multi-player.

They actually BUY content from mappers and modellers. What other game studio does that? Buying content to update games for free from amatuer fans. NOBODY.

As far as greed goes, there are many studios that charge $50-$60 for games that aren't worth it.

Valve's not making money because they are greedy, they are making money because they treat their fans well, make great games, support the modding community like no one else and have built up a huge following. Can't fault them for being smart.

Nobody is saying they should have to support Win2k forever, but folks who paid for games that only required Win98 or Win2k should not be expected to upgrade just to keep playing the old games they bought.

And Chevy stopped making parts for '56's a long time ago. People still drive them though. My point is that progress moves on. If you want to stay in the past you can, things change though. You honestly can't expect companies to go out of their way forever to make sure you can still play Thief 1...

Steam wasn't even around in that era, and yet you expect them to support software from that era for a tiny sliver of people? Even Microsoft is moving on. They updated XP to service pack 3... that's it, no more.

It'll be interesting to see if Thief 1 still works on Windows 8 the way it does in 7, which seems to be a case of simply setting processor core affinity.

Well, apparently it's coming.. already seen a preview of it, it has a touchscreen "desktop" thing as an option... looks like it belongs on a phone imo.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/04/see-windows-8-interface-in-action.aspx

here we go

Edited by Xarg

personally,i hate steam

gigabyte updates,"server not found",multiplayer achievements to null....

and it also make system work slower

LOL, sometimes I don't think you can separate what's causing you an issue from what you hate.

gigabyte updates: depends on game, and devs. If you have a game like TF2 that DOES get tons of updates then YES gb updates. (But you can always pause them too until convienant or just not buy those games).

updates to Steam themselves are typically VERY small.

server not found. 99% of the time that would be a game server which is NOT steam. Yes sometimes steam goes down but it's usually fixed very quickly. Unless you are extremely impatient (which wouldn't surprise me) it's not that big of a deal.

Multi player achievements. They are actually in single player games too. Does that really bother you? I don't spend too much time trying to achieve them even in games I like/play a lot. But is it really that bad to have them in games. A lot of people like them and think they add a bit to games.

Sure, it does take some processing power, but it's less than IE.

See, 3/4 of your problem with steam is really with games, not steam itself.