The Dark Mod Forums

3DS Max Friendly version of the Open Motion Capture Library!

nbohr1more

I dunno, the animation doesn't really scream "CHAAAARRRGEEE" to me. maybe if the legs moved faster, or if they were brandishing the weapon menacingly or something. the pace and attitude seem a little bit leisurely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwW_y2TuW58

Edited by ungoliant

We can't change speed. If the legs moved even faster with the same speed it would look really odd. The animation will be played whenever NPC with weapon drawn will run, whether attacking somebody or not.

It's only a model...

I dunno, the animation doesn't really scream "CHAAAARRRGEEE" to me

Yeah, I feel the same way. It just seems too leisurely to me.

Also, if you're going to replace that animation, you'll have to test it in combat to see how it looks when AI 'run' forward a few steps while swinging at you.

I already posted it, but here it is again old run_charge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQux1_ta-vg

You can almost hear the battle roar!

I had to shorten the steps from the original mocap significantly. Thats why it looks like running against the wind. TDM run is too slow for a sprint. I uploaded the animation just before you posted Springheel.

It's only a model...

Although the old run isn't as realistic, it does have a sense of intensity to it. The new one just seems more casual, like someone going on a training run with a sword. It's hard to know exactly what issues create that difference though.

A few possibilities:

The new animation has the left arm swinging primarily _behind_ the torso. The arm goes back behind the body, and comes back to even with the body. In the old animation, it swung in _front_ of the body. You can see this by comparing the pagan with the axe to the other runners. The pagan's fist is also up a bit higher, making it look like he is "pumping" his arm forward to help gain momentum. Maybe that's part of it?

The new animation has the elbows quite tight against the torso. The old animation had them further out from the body. Having them further out from the body might make them look less "controlled" and also more combat ready.

I suspect those things are part of what's creating the more "casual" impression, but it's hard to know for sure.

Big improvement. question: is this animation directly influencing the regular run animation? The pagan seems to be altered just as much as the others without a weapon. I thought someone mentioned that charge and run were independent.

edit: whoops, barely even noticed he's now carrying a weapon. re-edit: wait, is he carrying a weapon, or does he have a hammer propped to his hand? whats going on in this video?

Edited by ungoliant

Pagan is using normal run.

You set it that way specifically for the test, right? Normally he should use the charge like everyone else.

Is it just me or do those flames get awfully close to their face? I think I'd be liable to lean the torch away from me while running.

I had a tangential thought on this...

There are "goofing around with sword" animations in this library, no?

It's be cool if idle guards started pretending to sword-play when bored.

It's also be cool if they jumped out and screamed at passing NPC (neutrals) to watch them run in fear.

:D

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yep, looks good to me.

It's be cool if idle guards started pretending to sword-play when bored.

For a couple years I've had this idea of an idle animation where an AI suddenly draws his sword as if about to attack, then swings it once or twice for practice and puts it away with a chuckle. :)