The Dark Mod Forums

T3 FM: Veil of Deceit (04.01.2012) v1.0

Bikerdude

Evening

I know this isnt a TDM mission per se, but its so rare to get to play a new TDS mission I thought I would post it here - admins, feel free to move it to another section.

7944f7478cdb.jpg

"Veil of Deceit" is the fifth part of "The Keeper" mission.

This mission is based on the original TDS with my textures and my own storyline. Also I used Dark Arrow's map with my renovations. Unfortunately becouse of the limited editor' date=' I couldn't use the whole size of the map. I hope you'll like this mission.

[b']Thanks:[/b]

- Grear thanks to Tiens for her help with the editor. And for her new Matlibs and models for my mission too.

- DJ Riff, SHB, Soldi for translation into English.

- Krenim for translation into Italian.

- Beleg for translation into German.

- Models: Massimiliano Goi, Flux, Tiens, Ziemanskye, Chuzhoi, ShadowSneaker, Beleg, str8g8.

- Maps: I used Dark Arrow's abandoned map. It was reconstructed. In the mission it's named "Hotel".

- Musics: M.Isham, Blink 182, B.Berman, B.Tyler, A.Silvestri, TDM, Cardia

- Textures: games Painkiller, The Dark Mod, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Necrovison.

- Textures&Matlib: authors Flux, Renzatic, Judith, str8g8, Shadow Sneaker, Chuzhoi, Tiens, Cardia.

- Textures: sites http://www.cgtextures.com; http://www.the-witcher.de; http://davegh.com/vg/walls.htm; http://www.shadowdar...exturepack2.zip.

- Testers: Clearing, Chuzhoi, Thief Holy Thief, Lolkab.

- Thanks to Paul Bettany, the artist, whose pictures I used on paintings in the mission.

- Clearing - hor constant P.R. for my missions!

- And thanks to everyone whose works were used while working on my mission, but who I accidentally didn't mention.

Known Bugs:

- No French language as Russian is instead of it.

- After saving the game some sounds may disappear. Two subsequent saves will return them back.

- If you download maps from the game throws you, try adding (replacing) the content user_patch.ini in user.ini :

[PCVertexPools]

DynamicVertexPool0=9437184

StaticVertexPool=7864320

StaticShadowVertexPool=5242880

VeilDeceit_1.0.zip

Well since they allow TDM announcements in TTLG's FM forum, we shouldn't really have a double standard now should we?

Screenshots looked good. And it's a good thing he changed the name of this from his first idea, "Deadly Shadows".

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

he done a lot of work on his TDS missions,but unfortunately TDS SUXXORZ and even half of Thief/TDM community wont play them :(

I have played every T1/T2 and T3 mission and I do so as a mark or respect for the effort that authors put into thier missions (and that was before I became an author myself) and as a player because I love thief.

Btw, your getting better with your comments, its not outright trolling this time. Keep up the effort.

I am still waiting for the final parts of The Cabal. A lot of work went into that campaign, and while some engine problems proved insurmountable, it has a certain something.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I thought it was six parts. Well, I will have to reinstall T3 and play A Knife to the Heart when I get my PC working again, then.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

TDS+JohnP textures (where's is that guy now? :D)+some HUD/engine tweak = very enjoyable game/narrative experience.

IMHO TDS has a real nice "implementation" of the Garrett's City, maybe too much "fairy" for Thief steampunk canon integralists.

Pity about the ineffective "city hub" system: frequent (long) level loading kills the gameplay experience.

So thanks for TDS missions!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I tried Deadly Shadows again briefly over xmas, for the first time in ages.

I've been quite kind to it in the past. Either I or it hasn't aged well. The writing wouldn't be out of place in a fourth rate kid's book. It's a buggy mess. The AI is farcical.

Given how brilliant Thief 1 & 2 were it's a real disappointment.

Tweaks help (they're essential in fact - they're more fixes than tweaks - assuming Garrett hasn't really caught a fitness bug and decided to mix sneaking and jogging), but still you have to be prepared to overlook a comedy of errors to get some enjoyment out of it. That's not my definition of an immersive experience.

And then they went and slipped The Cradle in there - which is among the best gaming experiences ever. It's just such a shame that the rest is so awful ~ and it really is ~ that even that is barely worth getting at.

Some of the Fan Missions are little gems though. The engine may be difficult and restrictive (though I still think it's capable of looking fantastic) but in careful hands it can deliver some enticing and sparkly experiences.

Edited by jay pettitt

The plot isn't a masterpiece, yes, but the storytelling is enjoyable. Maybe because I'm and old Garrettvoicefag since 1998 :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Ooh - I've not played TDS in a long while - how much faffing about do you have to do to get a mission like this to work?

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Ooh - I've not played TDS in a long while - how much faffing about do you have to do to get a mission like this to work?

No more than with TDM I don't think. There should be some reliable mission loaders out there to take care of all the nonsense.

As for TDS as a continuation of the series, from the first time I played it until having recently fired it up again, I can say that for me the essense of the game never felt as true as the other games. There was something genuine about the first two games that just wasn't captured in the third. A lot of it just felt forced in some way...mainly because I think a lot of the new folks brought into the game were of a different mindset and really didn't have a firm grasp on what Thief was. Some good moments though, but overall it collects dust on my shelf.

Important for who plays after long long time TDS (1.1) and FMs through GarrettLoader :D

*John P textures: http://www.john-p.co...tures/Thief-DS/

*Widescreen patched exe (for FMs too, so don't use the one provided by GarrettLoader if you want a widescreen resolution): http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=134185

*If you play TDS on a Win64 system change the savegame path (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows) registry key to a correct path (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows)

Edited by lowenz

Important for who plays after long long time TDS (1.1) and FMs through GarrettLoader :D

*Widescreen patched exe (for FMs too, so don't use the one provided by GarrettLoader if you want a widescreen resolution): http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=134185

*If you play TDS on a Win64 system change the savegame path (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows) registry key to a correct path (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows)

hey thanks for that :) I totally forgot that texture pack for T3 which is enough reason to leave darkradiant to migrate t3 editor. Bye forum and all!

Nope, j/k :D

Ooh - thanks! looks like it might be viable now!

Am I the only person here who really liked the story / villain in TDS? =-/

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Ive been noticing thats some of the TDM sounds are in in this mission, I assume Savar got the ok to use them? If so then all of the custome textures he used in it I assume we can make use of in TDM..?

Haven't played it, but are you sure those aren't just community/freely available sounds from around the web?

Also, I'd be against posting anything other than true TDM FMs here - there's a big difference between TTLG (all encompassing LGS/Thief board) and here (TDM official). Do we really want the forum all bloated with every T1/T2/T3 release out there?