The Dark Mod Forums

Thief at its best:

Bikerdude

There is also the realization how absolutely fantastic-excellent the voice actors were. Those grumbling sore-throated guards with soul so deep you peer into them everytime you hear them opening their mouths.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

There are fine sound designers, but very few people are up to the standards set by Eric Brosius. Commercial games even tend to neglect this area since it doesn't show as well as graphics.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yes, sound design was definitely one of its strong points and still holds up very well today. And I find it so important too.

I think that's why for the (few) things I've done for Dark Mod, the sound issues tended to capture my interest.

I wasn't happy they could do all the sound design in Doom3 entirely with just area speakers -- first that tells you how linear and closed the levels were right there, but it's just a bad way to control your sound design. But for Dark Mod I was going to find a better way come hell or high water.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I miss the Thief sounds. :(

I allways wanted to put my Thief sounds into Doom 3 and replace the TDM sounds with them just to see how that feels :D

On the videos: The first one was really amazing, especially how good the person captured the classical thief rooms and scenes (with that rough graphics for all). And then the original thief sounds and voices, which made it even more like a Thief movie. Wow I really felt like watching Garrett at work. It was really really good.

The second one was less dateiled but also very nice and entertaining. I only dislike the music switch from original thief music to some hard rock stuff which isn't bad at all but doesn't fit into the scene.

Thank you really much for sharing this!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Those grumbling sore-throated guards with soul so deep you peer into them everytime you hear them opening their mouths.

That extended conversation is not from Thief, is it? It sounds more like actors trying to duplicate the Thief voices (and doing a pretty good job).

Where is that whole "Every time you bug me with questions something gets stolen" convo from? I'll be shocked if it's from T1/2...it sounds too campy to come from anything but TDS.

Stephen Russell and Dan Thron as Dumb Guard/Benny and Smart Guard will be missed in Thiaf.

Benny's first line in that great vid by Albi is from a First City Bank & Trust convo.

The rest is from a convo made for Masks, but is broken and isn't heard in-game.

Here are the two in full:

sg30702A: Ya' ever wonder, looking at all this--?

sg50702B: Wonder what?

sg30702C: Well...where all the money for the fancy marble, an-an' the carvings, and the art comes from?

sg50702D: W--from all the people who give the bank their money.

sg30702E: Noo no no. If the bank spends it on the fancy stuff, what if they want it back?

sg50702F: W-w-well, maybe some of them die first and never ask for it back.

sg30702G: Well--could be. I keep my gold home, locked up, myself. Safer that way.

sg31201A: UNUSED: Hello, up there. How goes yer watch?

sg11201B: UNUSED: Not too bad, just catching a cold. (Sneezes)

sg31201C: UNUSED: Nasty weather we're havin'. Makes me wish I was inside guarding one a' them exhibits, instead of out here in the rain. (Whining) How come we got stuck on outdoor guard duty again?

sg11201D: UNUSED: We're guards--that's what we do. (coughs)

sg31201E: UNUSED: Do you know anything about the ex-hibitions? I've heard stories that the masks they're gonna bring are...are 'magical.' Aaaand 'haunted.'

sg11201F: UNUSED: (Angry) I don't know and I don't care. We go through this all the time. You ask these stupid questions and then something goes wrong. Lord Bafford, Lord Donal, Sheriff Truart--We've worked for all of them and always gotten fired because someone broke in, something got stolen, or someone got killed! I'm always gettin' distracted answering your stupid questions! When this job is over you're on your own. I'm done with ya.

sg31201G: UNUSED: Hey! No need to get all...heated about it.

sg11201H: UNUSED: Taffer! (Coughs)

Nothing in TDS came close. The saga of the festering wound was all of it, and it ignored the fact that there are health potions in that universe, not just as power-ups.

Edited by jtr7

A skunk was badgered--the results were strong.

I hope that something better comes along.

Thanks for that. I was guessing it was some unused set.

Oh, how I wish we had that rugged simpleton Benny kind of vocal set...

Oh, how I wish I could write custom dialogue of that caliber...

;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

h, how I wish we had that rugged simpleton Benny kind of vocal set...

That's on my list for 1.09, now that I've found a cadre of voice actors.