The Dark Mod Forums

Crashing when trying to dmap

Xarg

I'm getting crashes when I attempt to dmap, and a forum search for the exception code only turns up 2 topics from 1 and 2 years ago respectively.

Faulting application name: thedarkmod.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x507ebd34

Faulting module name: thedarkmod.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x507ebd34

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0003879c

Faulting process id: 0xef8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdfc791722acc7

Faulting application path: C:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\thedarkmod.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Games\Doom 3\darkmod\thedarkmod.exe

Anything I can provide to help track this down?

Fix GlobalTJunctions is the last line before it crashes, if that helps.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

What are the entities printed out before the crash? We recently fixed a few railing models, maybe if these are the problem, removing them from the map makes it work again?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Btw:

3 monitors at 4320x900 Eyefinity

Should we add this resolution to the GUI? Sound like a lot of fun :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@ Sotha it worked for multiple dmaps on the map in question, and it works on another map

@Tels I had just inserted some fence railing, I'll try removing those and trying again, will update.

@Tels It is a lot of fun, though to avoid everything looking "fat" I use g_fov 115-120, if you want to add common eyefinity resolutions, please feel free to do so, though you might find that is a lot of resolutions to add (since I'm 16:10 and 16:9 is a lot more common)

Removing this railing models/darkmod/architecture/fencing/fence_spike_01_tall_4_segments.ase fixed the problem

• 3 months later...

I'm getting a bit frustrated with this problem myself.

Freeze/Crash on dmap/testmap

Crash to desktop on map.

Tried with other maps, no problem.

I've literally tried cutting out the section of the map I was working on, sealing it up, and dmap'ed again, with same freeze/crash.

I don't have the above mentioned object on the map, so I wonder if there's any other notorious objects I should track down? Been working really hard on this map for the past 4-5 weeks now, and this is a terrible annoyance, that I can't test while editing.

Edited by Kvorning

Maybe it is a generally faulty build technique? Have you used extensively CSG subtract? Do you have many weirdly intersecting, oddly angled or overlapping brushes? Have you made stuff into func_statics?

Generally, the sealing geometry should be boxy worldspawn brushes of grid 8 minumum.

Detailwork should be func_statics of any shape and size.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've used grid size 8 for almost everything and in the box style, for floors, walls ceiling/sky and usually 16 thick, for easier overview.

I haven't used CSG subtract since first week of work, I prefer the clipper tool.

I did mess around with some patches, but I tried deleting them all and see if it could dmap, with no luck.

I'm sure I've missed something, but it's frustrating to not be able to backtrack to it and at this point I've got no idea why.

I'll try to convert more to func_static and hopefully that'll help, but I had more when the problem occurred.

That's alot of "I"'s but thanks for the replies, and I'll get back to you with the results later today :)

The only solution is to cut the map into smaller and smaller pieces until you can identify which section is causing the crash.

Strange if you get problems if the mapping workflow is okay. I've never had dmap crash issues and I've made many maps so far...

Like SH said, save a separate copy of the map. Then start stripping off areas and sealing the dead ends until the dmap works. Then you know the area that causes the crash and you could rebuild the area in your completely intact map version.

Horrible job, I'm sure, but if you get no error message I suppose it is the only way. :(

Luckily shift-mouse click-dragging lets you easily select big areas for deletion relatively easy.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

For future reference I always save my map as a different revision after every session. Therefore if something is wrong I can go back to a previous revision that does work and start again.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Oh yeah within the first week of getting addicted to this map editor, I did a few "Basil Fawlty styled fetal postions" and made sure to take proper backups. :)

Problem resolved, not 100% sure, but I think it was a case of duplicate patches inside each other, with opposing faces. I basically manually stripped down an archway I'd been working on, and found some hidden saboteurs.

As promised I'm gonna buckle up and finally share a bit of what I've been working on. I don't like to give spoilers as this map is no where close do done, and I have a few things in mind, which I think will be enjoyed the best, if they are a complete surprise.

I'll post in "What are you working on" :)

Thanks for the help, and please, if you look the screenshots over, do let me know if any alarm bells go off in your experienced eyes, to the apparent design.

Edit: URL to the topic: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10003-so-what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page__view__findpost__p__310923

Edited by Kvorning

The only solution is to cut the map into smaller and smaller pieces until you can identify which section is causing the crash.

I had to do this for one of the maps for the NHAT campaign in working on, it turned out to be a rotated monsterclip brush. For what ever reason the engine just didnt like it.

I did a few "Basil Fawlty styled fetal postions" and made sure to take proper backups.

ROPTFL, fuggin classic..