The Dark Mod Forums

Nofog materials in TDM

nbohr1more

I know there a variations of the same textures without specular etc. This is pretty handy to have rather than having mapper make new materials when they want to change attributes. I am requesting that duplicate definitions be generated with the noFog global keyword applied. This will make it easier to hide fog transitions on worldspawn brushes. Does this sound like a worthwhile inclusion?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

NoFog prevents fog from rendering on a texture. Anything you dont want to become foggy you can use this on. The intended use is to make transitions to fog free areas seamless by having noFog objects or walls overlap into the fogged area. You could even noFog an alpha texture decal and have a nice blend to noFog objects like Fidcal's grass texture edge technique. (Though that would be a bit labor intensive for mappers.) You can make Func_statics noFog just like you can set them to noShadows but worldspawn doesnt take entity arguments so you have to do it with materials.

Just asking to have duplicate material definitions with noFog in the global keyword section. This will make

it easier to work with fogged areas.

For example:

Large FogLight covers the City. Inside the buildings the fog persists. To alleviate this, re-texture all the internals with

noFog versions of the same textures. (Or at least the first room you enter.) Then script the fog light to turn off shortly

after entering.

Wouldn't it in this case be better to create the fog only there where you actually want it to be? Just curious. :smile:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

You can't place foglights adjacent to each other and make it look good in a city/interior interface.

The only way is to switch the fog off when the player enters a fog-free area. You could use moving particle fogs in the interface areas to mask the fog winking off. I did this in Glenham.

Also, if nothing has been changed since those times, fog cannot be turned off. You get a black fog if you do. Teleporting the fog light to a distant blue room is the only way.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Couldn't you fade it out by manipulating the fog light distance during runtime? I have to check that.

Unsure. A crazy way could be to make a blueroom shaft into the map. Put the fog light into the shaft. Bind the light a mover. The mover would then lower the light far below ground, making a "fog sinks into the ground" -effect. I don't know if it looks fine or crap. It could be also used for a mild fog moving effect if the mover moved the fog slowly some units up and down.

Clipper

Couldn't you fade it out by manipulating the fog light distance during runtime? I have to check that.

No. I already have tried all these things in Swift Mazes (did you forget? :)

The only way to have seamless (more or less seamless due to blending artefects and banding) is to bind a blend light to the player and manipulate it at run-time. See Swift Mazes :)

@Sotha: You can easily move the fog light with 2 lines of script (f.i. depening on player position), so movers and binding etc are all not required at all.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

As far as the original question goes, I definitely wouldn't want to see texture lists twice as long in DR because there is a nofog version of every existing texture. If this were done it would need to be in a separate folder somewhere to keep it out of the way.

And given that DR can show you the material definition of any texture you want, it's not that hard for a mapper to copy/paste any needed textures into their own material file and add the keyword themself, is it?

• As far as the original question goes, I definitely wouldn't want to see texture lists twice as long in DR because there is a nofog version of every existing texture. If this were done it would need to be in a separate folder somewhere to keep it out of the way.
  • And given that DR can show you the material definition of any texture you want, it's not that hard for a mapper to copy/paste any needed textures into their own material file and add the keyword themself, is it?

• Yes, I wondered about this. I wasn't keen on the idea of having yet more texture names for each texture, we have enough duplicates as it ios with the no_shadow versions.
  • Agreed.

This seems like the wrong way to fix the problem then, as well as the possibility of making some legacy result which will need to be dragged around.

So I think perhaps its an issue which needs to be talked about more, with people that are more understanding of the gfx stuff, and fixed correctly if possible. Right now I think visual examples are needed or a test case. I'm not sure there's anyone around with experience in this area at the moment :)

Hmm!

Not to mention that I guess most mappers would completely oversee the possible benefit of such textures as described by nbohr1more.

To close this topic there is one other option.

Blendlight fog can use any shape projection image you choose. You could make a projection image that matches the street locations and fades to alpha over buildings. The problem with this is the same problem as Strombine style lighting. Its difficult to align the texture and light in DR because you cant see the light textue in orthoginal views.

Random idea.

Howsabout implementing foglight into the location system.

Outside, the foglight would slowly morph on.

Inside, the foglight would slowly morph off.

If the mapper used an 'airlock' room between these two extremes, the effect would not be too jarring? By this I mean: inside, clear visibility. Go outside. Clear visibility, that slowly gets occluded by fog.. Instead: inside, clear visibility. Entrance hall, slow morphing to weak fog. Outside, fast morphing to strong fog.

Clipper