The Dark Mod Forums

Why does the A.I. see bodies hidden in complete darkness?

chakkman

Might be something worth considering for a high difficulty mode, but not being able to put corpses/unconscious people away would suck for regular playing.

Anyway, nice find grayman. I wonder how that bug could slip through for such a long time... :)

Might be something worth considering for a high difficulty mode, but not being able to put corpses/unconscious people away would suck for regular playing.

Please no more extra difficulty sliders, bitte. ;)

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I straightened out the problem with AI seeing bodies hidden by darkness.

Code for issue #3584 is checked in, along with binaries for both Windows and Linux.

If you have SVN access, please update to get the latest, and test the crap out of it.

You'll find the gory details in the issue notes.

Two things:

1 - I'm pretty sure that falloff and projection images are not used when determining brightness. The code knows the images are there, but can't see the data for them. Tracking that deeper is something I'm not doing atm because I couldn't exactly understand what's going on, and it takes me into the image library, which is difficult to debug. Anyone is welcome to disprove this by showing that an AI can't see a body hidden under a light that uses a totally black falloff/projection image.

2 - The illumination code was originally taken from the weak lightgem code. Though I made extensive changes to the illumination code, I did not push those changes back into the weak lightgem code. If anyone has a strong case for doing that, I'll need to make that happen. I didn't think anyone used the weak lightgem. Perhaps its problems stem from the code being not exactly correct in the first place.

I remember we looked at making the weak lightgem code more robust, but the whole falloff/light texture tie-in would have had significant performance overhead, while also not being completely accurate.

I think the same thing applies to the object-missing code too.

All stuff we should think about going forward, the lightgem-type code is always going to be something which could be improved (and if it became cheap enough, used elsewhere).