The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Speed Runs

Airship Ballet

For that run in particular, I think 4 or 5 times, getting as far as dunking the skull each time before something busted me. I was still trying to find a decent path to get through and get all the loot, as evidenced by the cheatsy show_loot towards the end. It wasn't meant to be the final run, but it worked out anyway. That said, I did have to play it 20 or so times for the speed run, so it was left over from that.

I'll skip a few and try The Builder Roads, speed running and stealth, and probably the all loot/no saves thing I've been planning on doing.

Added The Builder Roads speed run ^_^

And people were complaining that this mission is too hard :) Nice how you've used the weaknesses of my level design.

*thumbs up*

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yeah, but it would ahve been more wise to make the diary immobile. ;)

Well, a good mapper would :(

What, expect someone to cheat to beat your mission? Nah don't worry about noclipping.

le epic trole bate

Well, a good mapper would :(

Nah, it's actually a good map. The fact that someone can speed run it is testament to balance and lack of artificial difficulty. It's far, far better than I could manage in two weeks anyway.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I spent ages looking for the officer guy in noclip

WTF would you call it? You noclipped to follow a guard to see where he goes. That's the definition of cheating a game lol. I mean I don't blame you for doing it though, I've done it before myself, but let's just call a spade a spade shall we?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

WTF would you call it?

I'm not getting into this in detail because you're clearly decided on it and opinions differ, but no, I wouldn't call it cheating. If a cheat is used during a playthrough to complete said playthrough, yes, you're cheating. If you're using a cheat to see how a mission works and use that knowledge in beating it legitimately then no, it's not still cheating: it's developing strategies to speed run it. Sure, you used cheats to develop your strategy, but everything you end up seeing in the runs are the result of practice and preparation. That's what 99% of speed running communities put their time into: finding the quickest ways to do things with debug modes and map viewers. The remaining 1% is actually running them, which in itself takes a bunch of skill, less so for TDM since it's so slow-paced. I understand where you're coming from, but I fail to see the point in coming into a speed running thread and complaining about 99% of what the playstyle itself is. Maybe just be less passive-aggressive next time.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I think this is a misunderstanding here.

I wasn't saying that it is bad of me that ab used noclip to find the position of the elite guard. What I've meant is that the diary that must be read to trigger the patrol of said guard is moveable, so the event can be triggered when the player wants it, which maked his life much more easier.

If the book would have been static, he would have had a harder time getting the key from his belt.

If the book would have been static, he would have had a harder time getting the key from his belt.

No, I understand and I think he does too, don't worry. He was just using you as an excuse to vent about frustration with the play style, or something.

This is normally not his style. :)

Lol what? Venting? Hahaha :P.

I just didn't want obs to have to worry about people using cheat/debug codes to beat a certain mechanic or part of his levels. That's all. I love speed runs and obsttorte.

I've done some speed runs myself in Quake and a few other games, nothing as fast as you guys though. Never used cheat codes though, might have made life easier. For me it was just pure repetition that I leaned a level, so I've always assumed that that's how everyone did speed runs.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yeah, the repetition part is what comes after planning your route, really. For something like Quake there's only so many ways you can do it, so it's not necessary: it just takes a ton more practice and precision. For this, what with the random path finding and all, you have to follow 'em so you can plan for everything. The hammer guard who goes upstairs in the church, for instance, would either be outside the Priest's room or in front of the church by the time I got out of the tavern, meaning if he was out front I could take the key, but if he was inside I had to pick it and wait for him to leave. It ended up being the same either way, so there's no need to restart until you get the right one. Still, point is the most efficient ways to work out the map are usually the cheatsiest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

For me it was just pure repetition that I leaned a level, so I've always assumed that that's how everyone did speed runs.

Actually, at least for console games, speed runners use emulators to watch variables changing their values in memory in real time. This way they can find out how to abuse glitches and force the game to do what they want it to do. They also use cheats to plan their route. This is generally accepted by the community since it's impossible to know if somebody used cheats or not to plan his route and it also allows for discovery of bugs that would probably never be discovered otherwise.

I always enjoy watching speed runs and these videos are no exception. Keep them coming. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Ballet, is this one of yours here? im guessing its not...

http://pakyoutube.com/watch/MfFtmB1HfFs/in-remembrance-of-him-part-1-blind-playthrough-the-dark-mod-202.html

For some reason I sat through this entire video playthrough even though I never did that before (I guess I liked the fact it was a girl playing it rather than another guy), only skipping the most painful parts where she is looking for a way out of things. Needless to say I feel like a huge incompetent idiot after this hahaha, the distance between what the map wants you to do and what the player actually thought about doing was pretty great. Still, in my defense, I was thinking, a blind playthrough of a game that is right there crossing the boundaries between fps and adventure point and click games? That does not sound wise to me, youre bound to butt heads loads of times. Some missions would be damn near impossible, without reading and solving the puzzles...