The Dark Mod Forums

Need scripting help: want to poison a barrel

Bikerdude

I thought I could use a method that I saw in another mission, but it wont work. Essentially what I want to do is as follows -

1. I have a bear/wine barrel
  2. I have a poison vial with is in my inventory and can be dropped.
  3. I want to poison said barrel with the contents of the vial.

Any pointers and a simple script would be appreciated.

Is there a reason you want a script instead of using the Objective system which does that directly? Also, what results from the poisoning?

This wiki article is more elaborate than what you need: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Objectives#Having_the_player_place_multiple_interchangeable_items_in_varied_places.

In your case, just one objective using "item is in location" will do.

At the poison barrel have a info_tdm_objective_location item where the poison needs to be placed by the player, it needs the spawnarg "objective_group" set to whatever you specify below, such as barrel_objective_location.

Set the objective: "let the target entity poison_name be at location 0 of barrel_objective_location"

If you want anything more to happen than just the objective completing when they place the poison there, use the target of the objective to trigger whatever (like func_remove the poison object).

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

This was done in an FM already, there was a cauldron that you had to put an ingredient in. I think it was the one where you shoot a canon into a door to blast it open, is that Lich Queens' Demise?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

This was done in an FM already, there was a cauldron that you had to put an ingredient in. I think it was the one where you shoot a canon into a door to blast it open, is that Lich Queens' Demise?

Yep you're right Lich Queens Demise was the FM that had that.

Yep. Check LQD.

It was done with stim response system. There was a brush with a stim or response (and remember which way it was around). Then the object emitted complementary response or stim. Then, when the objects met, I triggered scripts that did stuff.

Multi-ingredient systems were done by simply having overlapping stim/response brushes.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

No. The LQD method is

1) drop item to hands (frobber)

2) touch the location of interest with the item.

For a poison vial, it might look like you toss the whole bottle into the barrel. ;)

Why not use a solid poison item, like a cube of crystalline poison. something you quickly drop into the to-be-poisoned container.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.