The Dark Mod Forums

Dark mod won't start after 2.09 update

StudentManiac

Try updating your graphics driver.

For details: the error occurs because OpenGL reports a value for GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS that is lower than the value expected by TDM, which is 48. However, 48 is the minimum value allowed by the OpenGL 3.3 standard, so either your graphics driver is lying about supporting OpenGL 3.3 (in which case it should have failed earlier), or the returned value is just incorrect. In either case, updating your GPU driver is the best hope for a fix. What GPU do you have?

You could try installing the latest driver from AMD, anyway: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5550

I'm afraid there's nothing else to do right now. This is a driver bug we'd have to work around or ignore in code, and until then you'll have to stick to 2.08.

Yes, try to update the video drivers. 

And check if you have file write permissions in the gamefolder, by copying just a file to the folder.

But if that doesnt work, then we need more information from TDM on your system. What is written inside of darkmod.log or qconsole.log, when running the game. More info: https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Debugging_TDM_systemerrors

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

14 hours ago, freyk said:

but the devs (and we) needs the info from the logs

Maybe I should start assigning names to the points in changelog...
It seems that regular frequent users don't really know who the devs are 😁

15 hours ago, cabalistic said:

However, 48 is the minimum value allowed by the OpenGL 3.3 standard, so either your graphics driver is lying about supporting OpenGL 3.3

Just looked into GL 3.3 official specs, and indeed found this requirements in the table of minimum capabilities.
I guess driver developers call it "supports GL 3.3 except for a few rarely used features" 😤

Right chaps, the gist appears to be that my graphics hardware and software is no longer advanced enough for TMD.

That's alright I'll add it to the list of reasons I should do some serious upgrades to my pc. I've got other games that could also do with better hardware anyway.

I'll not go fiddling with codes and notebook as I am naïve and technologically illiterate when it comes to these things.

I've still got 2.08 on my laptop so I'll play it on there for now.

Thank you you've all been helpful

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, StudentManiac said:

Right chaps, the gist appears to be that my graphics hardware and software is no longer advanced enough for TMD.

But did you try installing the driver from the AMD website? Sometimes the Windows supplied driver is not the correct and/or up to date driver.

I (and we) have not  read your darkmod logs yet, studentmaniac.
And i still want to read them, because capability check written in them and can show other things.
(and if there is a driver issue, we can also see that in the log. Than we have proof)

"I'll not go fiddling with codes and notebook as I am naïve and technologically illiterate when it comes to these things."
Please hold on! Then I write some easy instructions for you, which i did also for other people.

instruction:

1. open the file explorer and go to your darkmod folder.
  2. open file darkmod.cfg (right click > open with > notepad), look for value for setting "seta logFile", change the value "0" to "2", and the save the file.
  3. open file "currentfm", change its content to "training_mission", and the save the file.
  4. open a command prompt/powershell window in the tdm folder:
    In file explorer > click on menu "file" > open in powershell.
    Or in file explorer, hold your shift-key on keyboard and right-click in a empty space (shift+right click), > in the quickmenu select "open powershell / command prompt" here
    Or
    hit windowskey+r to open the execute window. input "cmd" and run.This wil open the black command prompt window
    If the game is located at c:\games\darkmod, enter the following line and hit the enter-key: cd games\darkmod
  5. Then run the following command by entering the following line and hit the enter-key:
    .\TheDarkModx64.exe +condump tdmwontstartlog.txt +map training_mission +quit
    this automatically start tdm, create logfile tdmwontstart and quit.
  6. This create a file "tdmwontstartlog" and we want to see its content.
    Open the file and post its content in the topic, or attach the file to the topic.
    (You can also look if there is a qconsole file in your fms\trainingsmission folder, but i doubt it.)
  7. end.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

On 5/8/2021 at 1:23 PM, cabalistic said:

The error message is unique in the code base. So both cause and workaround are fairly clear, in this particular case.

If we have control over the error text, shouldn't it be something more informative than just "Too few"?

It would be more useful if it said something like "Too few combined texture units (need 48, found 32)".

On 5/12/2021 at 2:05 PM, StudentManiac said:

That's alright I'll add it to the list of reasons I should do some serious upgrades to my pc. I've got other games that could also do with better hardware anyway.

I'll not go fiddling with codes and notebook as I am naïve and technologically illiterate when it comes to these things.

I've still got 2.08 on my laptop so I'll play it on there for now.

Thank you you've all been helpful

It only takes a minute minute to edit your darkmod.cfg

seta r_glCoreProfile "0"

But there's also the VBO changes that tend to underperform on older hardware, so 2.08 isn't such a bad idea after all

• 3 months later...

I finally braved following your instructions Freyk it created a qconsole file. 

Spoiler

log file 'qconsole.log' opened on Tue Sep 14 13:57:40 2021

execing DarkmodKeybinds.cfg
Couldn't exec autoexec.cfg - file does not exist.
I18N: SetLanguage: 'english'.
I18N: Found no character remapping for english.
I18N: 1277 strings read from strings/english.lang
I18N: 'strings/fm/english.lang' not found.
----- Initializing OpenAL -----
Setup OpenAL device and context
OpenAL: found device 'OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)' [ACTIVE]
OpenAL: found device 'OpenAL Soft on Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)'
OpenAL: device 'OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)' opened successfully
OpenAL: HRTF is available
OpenAL vendor: OpenAL Community
OpenAL renderer: OpenAL Soft
OpenAL version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.19.1
OpenAL: found EFX extension
OpenAL: HRTF is enabled (reason: 1 = ALC_HRTF_ENABLED_SOFT)
OpenAL: found 256 hardware voices
----- Initializing OpenGL -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...getting default gamma ramp: success
...registered window class
...registered fake window class
...created window @ 0,0 (1280x1024)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...PIXELFORMAT 2 selected
...creating GL context: compatibility 
...making context current: succeeded
...initializing QGL

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
mouse: DirectInput initialized.
keyboard: DirectInput initialized.
------------------------------------
OpenGL vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer: AMD Radeon HD 5500 Series
OpenGL version: 3.3.12618 Compatibility Profile Context 13.251.9001.1001 compatibility
Checking required OpenGL features...
v - using GL_VERSION_3_3
v - using GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
v - using WGL_VERSION_1_0
v - using WGL_ARB_pixel_format
Checking optional OpenGL extensions...
v - using GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
    maxTextureAnisotropy: 16.000000
v - using GL_ARB_stencil_texturing
X - GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test not found
X - GL_ARB_buffer_storage not found
v - using GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect