The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Presentation

BlackThief

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damnnn! That green, especially, PWNZ.

Edit: ah, crap - good a place as any to ask: could there be (for these, and any new texture dumps that reach the server) made available, perhaps in a new_textures_zips folder, or something, a compressed zip of them? That's another 7 mb or so to get.

Edited by SneaksieDave

YEs. I'm sure it ;ooks even better in game, with the real time specularity.

Just on the subject of doors - does anyone know what the reason for the central doorhandles/locks in T3 was?

Will there be any problems putting door handles and locks on the right/left side of the door like normal?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Just on the subject of doors - does anyone know what the reason for the central doorhandles/locks in T3 was?

Will there be any problems putting door handles and locks on the right/left side of the door like normal?

There is no problem with that. I think the reason for putting it in the middle are twofold.

1.) Because of 3rd person view, the have to position the model in such a way that it looks believable from 3rd person view as well as from first person. That's also why you had to be sucked into position. Placing it on the sides would cause unneccessary problems, because it can either be on the left or right and there has to be enough place so that the model doesn't either dissolve into the building or might be collisioned and can't get into the proper position.

2.) Probably handles on the sides could be harder to see because of lighting conditions. Considering the XBox it might be much worse on a TV screen. When the object is placed in the middle the light is probalby better there.

Just pure speculation of course.

Gerhard

black thief...

it does look so so lovely. I was reading whole thread.. It s really great to see the evolution of design. It s getting superior almost every week...

and i loved so much renzatic's height maps too. It looks brilliant. So amazingly cool..

best

Good Spar, becasue the lockss in the middle of doors was fecking stupid.

I thoght I'dn start doing you some pictures to hand on the walls BT, these are easily skinnable, the frame and picture is on one image, snd the mdoel is only 30 polys.

Normal maps rule for this sort of job, makes 30 polys look like 1000s. I'm doing some tapestries and other wall adornments as well.

post-6-1102629601.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Wow, very nice indeed! I made up a batch of normal-mapped textures for paintings and a tapestry, but they don't have a model. Are they going to look ridiculous next to each other?

BTW, what is the policy on using fine art in games? THis is a portrait by Rembrandt, but I don't think it'll be a problem since it's not a commercial project, if anyone asks us to remove them, we easily can.

I think the Dutch masters are particularly fitting for this sort of game.

post-6-1102629757.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear GOD :) !!!!

my goodness.... almighty oDDity! ! ! It looks awesome. what a lovely stuff is this. Gamers will not only play but they will learn art history as well...

at the same time gamers will be blown with the quality of the textures. Look at this frame. I mean a normal gamer will notice FIRST frame than picture. I mean they somehow familiar with paintings but not with this....the quality of frame texture.. breathtaking..

It s not a game it s an art... :)

How bout putting some HR. BOSCH work. he was dutch and he was very very twisted.

Best (inski)

OK Spring, you want to do the picture and frames in this format, since that's the way I've UV mapped it. I can do a few different picture models of course.

Well, half the pictures I did are already part of the texture pack. I might be willing to redo them later, but I'd rather work on the GUI right now.

BTW, what is the policy on using fine art in games? THis is a portrait by Rembrandt, but I don't think it'll be a problem since it's not a commercial project, if anyone asks us to remove them, we easily can.

I think the Dutch masters are particularly fitting for this sort of game.

I really love that pictures and that was another reason why T1/T2 was so atmospheric and T3 sucked. The pcitures looked as if they were really from that epoch, I don't know if they are actual classics or not but at least they look as if the could be.

But somehow I doubt that we can use this pictures in our game. It doesn't really matter if we are a commercial project or not because copyright law doesn't really make a difference with that.

Thinking that we have such pictures in our Thiefy levels would give a real big boost to the atmosphere of them but I'm not really convinced about copyright.

Gerhard

Bosch's painting are all religious though, and don't really fit in.

I don't think there is a copyright issue actually, don't copyrights automatically expire after a certasin amount of time and things come into the public domain?

Since the pictures I'd be using are all from 3-400 years ago I don't think there would be a problem.

THe works of Dickens already have no copyright attached to them and are freely distribuitable on the internet.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Bosch's painting are all religious though, and don't really fit in.

For cathedrals? I think there are a lot of old masters which should easily fit in. I have some book from my wife which also has some great paintings in it. Shall I scan some of them?

I don't think there is a copyright issue actually, don't copyrights automatically expire after a certasin amount of time and things come into the public domain?

Yeah. But they are extending this all the time. It also depends on what it is and which country this applies to.

Since the pictures I'd be using are all from 3-400 years ago I don't think there would be a problem.

THe works of Dickens already have no copyright attached to them and are freely distribuitable on the internet.

I'm no copyright expert, but I would hate to get into troubles because of something like that. Well, I guess we can include it and if somebody complains we have to remove them. It certainly looks much better with them. :)

EDIT: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum36/1462.htm

This is also my understanding of the law, but this would mean German/Austrian law in my case. :)

Gerhard

Bosch for some strange reason chose Christianity for his religious subjects, and not a hammer or builder or trickster i sight)

Maybe SH could come up with something along the lines of the typical Renaissance religious art, but depicting something a little more appropriate for the THief universe (or whatever it is we're calling ours)

I could come up with a dozen of these very quickly, and I'm sure that's all we'll need. Fm authors can easly change the skin.

post-6-1102679780.jpg

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah. But they are extending this all the time. It also depends on what it is and which country this applies to.

I'm no copyright expert, but I would hate to get into troubles because of something like that. Well, I guess we can include it and if somebody complains we have to remove them. It certainly looks much better with them. :)

EDIT: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum36/1462.htm

This is also my understanding of the law, but this would mean German/Austrian law in my case. :)

the link leads to a login page....

anyway, we discussed that copyright issue of paintings before and I read that copyright only protects paintings for about 70 years ! then they become public domain.