The Dark Mod Forums

Unofficial Patch

wesp5

23 hours ago, wesp5 said:

P.S.: I looked closer into it and it seems there was only one other overlap which I fixed by renaming, so now the patch and your modpack can be merged with each other :)! As you use x_ as prefix your features will override mine though ;)...

This shows willingness. I will check where we stand today. The goal: players.

TDM_Modpack_Thumb.png

WOW, what a pleasant surprise! I expected this day would come but not this soon. There they are :)

mods-unite.jpg

Here is an initial, quick assessment.

Currently the Modpack loads last, therefore it takes preference. We can test the other way around at a later stage.

tdm_frobactions.script
No conflict detected. The Modpack's version takes preference and it apparently works as intended. The Patch changes some chest sounds in a separate script at mission start but then the Modpack overrides these sounds on the fly.

Blinking items
Threads from both the Modpack and the Patch run in parallel throughout the mission. I don't notice anything unusual except that sometimes the blink is out of sync. The reason is that something fishy is going on between milliseconds 16 and 17 in Uncapped FPS mode. In v4 of the Modpack I set the wait time to 15 milliseconds to avoid the issue and you should do the same in the Patch:

tdm_froblock_frobability.script > mod_frob_highlight_blinking() > sys.wait(0.015)

Containers
Threads from both the Modpack and the Patch run in parallel at mission start. I honestly don't know what the game is doing in this case but the outcome apparently is not negative. No issues detected.

Body names
Threads from both the Modpack and the Patch run in parallel throughout the mission. I don't notice anything unusual but most probably names are being displayed twice.

Shock / Electric mine
No conflicts that I can detect at a glance.

Whistle
No conflicts that I can detect. Players however end up with two different versions of the same feature in different categories.

Blow
No apparent conflicts. Players however end up with two different versions of a same feature in different categories. This one is interesting because the Patch introduces "extinguish on frob" on small candle sources and players are spoiled by options now.

• Like 2

TDM_Modpack_Thumb.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, snatcher said:

The Patch changes some chest sounds in a separate script at mission start but then the Modpack overrides these sounds on the fly.

In v4 of the Modpack I set the wait time to 15 milliseconds to avoid the issue and you should do the same in the Patch...

This one is interesting because the Patch introduces "extinguish on frob" on small candle sources and players are spoiled by options now.

About the chest sounds, I wasn't aware the Modpack does change them too. Would it make sense for the patch to use your way or would it produce another duplicate script?

I can set the blinking to another frequency, but are you sure this is not due to the game trying to apply two blinking scripts at the same time? It looks fine if I only use the patch.

Your blow skill is just a last resort for mission unique lights that can't be extinguished by my frob script. Also my version does not include free relighting so it is inferior to yours ;)!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

About the chest sounds, I wasn't aware the Modpack does change them too. Would it make sense for the patch to use your way or would it produce another duplicate script?

The question is, what do you want the Unofficial Patch to be? Then do just that. Players shall judge.

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

I can set the blinking to another frequency like you suggested, but are you sure this is not due to the game trying to apply two blinking scripts at the same time?

I am fairly sure, yes.

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

Your blow skill is just a last resort for mission unique lights that can't be extinguished by my frob script. Also my version does not include free relighting ;)!

What's wrong with some free virtual relighting 🤪 ?

Since you are interested in some skills what we can do to avoid duplicates is to adopt the same basic entities with the same basic properties. That way players using only the Patch will get your version but players using both the Patch and the Modpack will get a single instance (whichever mod that wins).

Here is an example for the Whistle.

tdm_playertools.def

Go from:

// Whistling sound to distract enemies, added by wesp from snatcher
entityDef atdm:playertools_whistle
{
	"inherit"					"atdm:playertool"

"editor_usage"				"Don't use, gets automatically spawned at the start of the map"	"scriptobject"				"playertools_whistle"				// changed by wesp

"inv_category"				"#str_02394"	// Tools
	"inv_name"					"Whistle"
	"inv_icon"					"guis\assets\hud\inventory_icons\whistle_icon.dds"	// changed by wesp
	"inv_map_start"				"1"
}

To:

// Whistling sound to distract enemies, added by wesp from snatcher
entityDef mod:playerskills_distraction
{
	"inherit"					"atdm:playertool"

"editor_usage"				"Don't use, gets automatically spawned at the start of the map"	"scriptobject"				"playertools_whistle"				// changed by wesp

"inv_category"				"Skills"
	"inv_name"					"Whistle"
	"inv_icon"					"guis\assets\hud\inventory_icons\whistle_icon.dds"	// changed by wesp
	"inv_map_start"				"1"
}

tdm_user_addons_wesp.script

Go from:

void user_addon_init_wesp()				//If any of your addon scripts need to be initialised at map start, add their init function here. See the line that has been commented out with // for an example.
	{
		entity blow = sys.spawn("atdm:playertools_blow");		// added by wesp
		entity whistle = sys.spawn("atdm:playertools_whistle");	// added by wesp
		statistic_message_init();	// added by wesp
		thread frob_details();	// added by wesp
		tdm_frob_lock_init();		// added by wesp
		tdm_chest_sounds();		// added by wesp
		tdm_unlit_lamps();		// added by wesp
		sys.waitFrame();		// contingency in case no addons are specified
	}

To:

void user_addon_init_wesp()				//If any of your addon scripts need to be initialised at map start, add their init function here. See the line that has been commented out with // for an example.
	{
		entity blow = sys.spawn("atdm:playertools_blow");		// added by wesp
		entity whistle = sys.spawn("mod:playerskills_distraction");	// added by wesp
		statistic_message_init();	// added by wesp
		thread frob_details();	// added by wesp
		tdm_frob_lock_init();		// added by wesp
		tdm_chest_sounds();		// added by wesp
		tdm_unlit_lamps();		// added by wesp
		sys.waitFrame();		// contingency in case no addons are specified
	}

See if that does the trick, and if you like it.

TDM_Modpack_Thumb.png

2 hours ago, wesp5 said:

Your blow skill is just a last resort for mission unique lights that can't be extinguished by my frob script. Also my version does not include free relighting so it is inferior to yours ;)!

Regarding the Blow I would argue that if you need a backup plan perhaps the main plan isn't that good after all. Maybe the main plan simply needs a little more work and maintenance. Besides, players using the Unofficial Patch can extinguish almost everything with their hands except that element there, for which they need a tool? Odd.

Edited by snatcher

TDM_Modpack_Thumb.png

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, snatcher said:

1) The question is, what do you want the Unofficial Patch to be? Then do just that. Players shall judge.

2) I am fairly sure, yes.

3) What's wrong with some free virtual relighting 🤪 ?

4) Here is an example for the Whistle.

I have numbered your suggestions because I find it hard to multiquote here. As for calling blow and whistle tools and not skills, this was just done to not confuse the player with another inventory class. Also what would the Numbers scroll be?

1) Is there an advantage of your method vs mine? If the result is the same, nothing needs to be changed.

2) I don't know what you mean with blinking being out of sync. Should all loot blink in the same rhythm?

3) It removes the need for slow matches and flints which mission authors might provide for their stories.

4) This is what it looked when I copied it from you, but I had to rename it to avoid duplicate definitions!

Edited by wesp5

Posted (edited)

I changed blinking frequency to 0.015 now but I can't see a difference. I have another question though: is it possible to have the new tools or skills listed on the inventory page right after Unarmed? I have no idea how sorting is determined there and while changing their category to "weapons" works, it also creates duplicate entries on the inventory page...

Edited by wesp5

13 hours ago, wesp5 said:

[...] Also what would the Numbers scroll be?

A Readable?

1) Is there an advantage of your method vs mine? If the result is the same, nothing needs to be changed.

I invite you to read the documentation, experience mods first hand and draw your own conclusions.

2) I don't know what you mean with blinking being out of sync. Should all loot blink in the same rhythm?

I changed blinking frequency to 0.015 now but I can't see a difference.

It's ok. You did the right thing.

3) It removes the need for slow matches and flints which mission authors might provide for their stories.

Fair point but the Blow removes the need for Water Arrows which mission authors might provide for their stories. Justifying our decisions is a tricky business.

4) This is what it looked when I copied it from you, but I had to rename it to avoid duplicate definitions!

Ok.

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

[...] is it possible to have the new tools or skills listed on the inventory page right after Unarmed? I have no idea how sorting is determined there and while changing their category to "weapons" works, it also creates duplicate entries on the inventory page...

No idea but I can tell you item sorting, except for weapons, is messed up: you have 4 keys and pick up another one: the 5th key gets listed first in the inventory but last in the inventory menu. Why? Who knows.

Edited by snatcher

TDM_Modpack_Thumb.png

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, snatcher said:

Fair point but the Blow removes the need for Water Arrows which mission authors might provide for their stories.

As far as I know Blow only works on small flames that mostly can be extinguished by Frob in my patch anyway. Actually the fact that the core developers wouldn't include pinching out oil lamps compared to candles, which is rather illogical to me but was always excused by not breaking existing missions, was the main reason I made the patch in the first place!

Edited by wesp5

Posted (edited)

The Frob Outline is already in the core game but not accessible without console commands, so I added it as option in the Unofficial Patch.

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

The Frob Outline is already in the core game but not accessible without console commands, so I added it as option in the Unofficial Patch.

I can't find the option in the menu.

8 hours ago, Taquito said:

I can't find the option in the menu.

No, and it should be.  I have the following lines in my autocommands.cfg file:

// The following implement
//   r_frobOutlinePreset 4
seta r_frobOutlineBlurPasses "1"
seta r_frobOutlineColorA "0.7"
seta r_frobOutline "1"

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wesp5 said:

You could perhaps expose all presets for players to toy with them.

• Like 1

TDM_Modpack_Thumb.png

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

You could perhaps expose all presets for players to toy with them.

I'm rather your opinion that, like with the frob helper, sometimes too many options will only confuse players.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Araneidae said:

No, and it should be.  I have the following lines in my autocommands.cfg file:

// The following implement
//   r_frobOutlinePreset 4
seta r_frobOutlineBlurPasses "1"
seta r_frobOutlineColorA "0.7"
seta r_frobOutline "1"

Thank you. And Thanks to wesp5 and snatcher for keeping this game looking fresh and feeling current.

Edited by Taquito
  • Thanks 1

Hehe. Not sure how can I be of any help in the modding department snatcher. I'm scratching my head as of why some of these features haven't been officially implemented already like the outline or the peek behind doors. A feature that can enrich future missions.

btw how do I make the outline white in color instead of black?

On 5/17/2024 at 11:06 PM, wesp5 said:

Is there a wiki page about this? Could be useful. With screenshots of some of the options.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Taquito said:

how do I make the outline white in color instead of black?

Use the following console command to switch between different versions: r_frobOutlinePreset X (X being a number)

Edited by wesp5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 1:44 AM, wesp5 said:

The TDM Unofficial Patch is a personal project of mine to modify some small details that annoyed me in the core game. It wouldn't be possible without many others, so thanks to the whole TDM community for discussions and help, but especially to friendly modders who directly contributed code for it, like Obsttorte, Dragofer, Kingsal, Goldwell, Destined, and snatcher! You can find it under the link below and while over the years there was little progress, in recent times many things have been improved that I never even thought of when I started and some might be worth to be included in the core game.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/the-dark-mod-unofficial-patch

Version Changelog:
------------------

v1.7                                                      20.08.2022
----
Made loot icon change right back to last tool icon, thanks snatcher.
Added new whistle player skill to distract NPCs, thanks to snatcher.
Made more lights extinguishable and added info for 4 beta missions.
Corrected container bottom fix messing up drawers, thanks Dragofer.
Improved unlit behaviour of moveable light sources, thanks snatcher.
Corrected lit lamps set to extinguished in maps, thanks to Dragofer.
Changed western empire maps so the location of Bridgeport is vague.
Added several major city names to the small map, thanks to Kukutoo.
Fixed frobing animation not working with bound and carried entities.

v1.6                                                      23.07.2022
----
Improved extinguishing oil lamps, thanks to Dragofer and Obsttorte.
Added frobing animation, thanks to Obsttorte, Goldwell and snatcher.
Fixed container bottoms and training mission chest, thanks Dragofer.
Made doors open faster when running, thanks Obsttorte and snatcher.
Added more player tools to training mission and improved text there.
Fixed Holy Water doing no damage and Hazard Pay not starting at all.
Made all five oil lamps in Sotha's "The Bakery Job" extinguishable.
Added blow player skill to snuff out small flames, thanks snatcher.
Changed Unarmed icon to make clear that the player always has a bow.

v1.5                                                      02.07.2022
----
Created Invisibility Potion out of cut Speed Potion, thanks Kingsal.
Increased arrow head shot damage to both living and undead enemies.
Replaced slow matches with easier to handle flints, thanks Kingsal.

v1.4                                                      10.03.2022
----
Replaced Frob Helper with dark Frob Outline and updated to TDM 2.10.
Made electric mine stun elite guards too and improved mission names.
Renamed mission installation/selection UI mishmash to "activation".

v1.3                                                      21.02.2021
----
Changed flashmine to stunning electric mine and updated to TDM 2.09.
Edited more mission names and made threefold candles extinguishable.

v1.2                                                      26.08.2020
----
Updated to TDM 2.08 and fixed custom holywater script compatibility.
Added Numbers Scroll showing stealth and loot info, thanks Dragofer.
Edited more mission names to avoid truncated descriptions in menus.
Added default keys info to training mission and repaired cut lines.

v1.1                                                      03.02.2019
----
Moveable candles can be extinguished directly by frobing the candle.
More blackjack immune enemies and inextinguishable candles modified.
The key frob distance has been decreased to be that of lockpicking.
Holy Water bottles must be thrown directly, but they do more damage.
The controls settings menu additions have been updated for TDM 2.07.
New mission names have been fixed to fix format and spacing issues.
Added looking up and looking down controls for people without mouse.
Pointed bad prefabs container open/close sounds to existing effects.
Added version info to starting screen and edited some new missions.

v1.0                                                      06.05.2018
----
Many enemies will not become immune to blackjacking when alerted.
Oil lamps can be snuffed by frobing, thanks Destined and Obsttorte.
The controls settings menu lists that "use" can work on held items.
Mission names were syncronized between download and online lists.
The controls settings menu lists that "frob" can get or drop items.
Astericks were added to official missions to move them to list top.
Minor text and format bugs have been fixed in some mission infos.

It's not working on William Steele 3, it gives this error:

ws3_cleighmoor_96b5485e9ec9697b (2024-07-14 13-26-28) (0 0 0).jpg