Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

New PC :)


Acolytesix
 Share

Recommended Posts

That may not be the best deal coming up with Black Friday almost here, but that thing is gonna run like a champ on steroids. A good value is only worth money minus convenience, hence the formula:

  • GV=M-C

therefore Good Value (GV) can further be broken down into:

  • GV=(M-C) / (Eom+P)-(A+R)

where Good Value is equal to (Money minus Convenience), divided by (Ease of mind plus Peace) less (Anger plus Rage).

Only YOU can determine what your true GV is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's harder to count on Black Friday these days, and there can be stellar deals any time of the year.

There will probably be better prices for these specs later on, but it's adequate for under $1k and more than enough performance for years to come. It sounds like it's somewhat repairable too because it's not using a proprietary PSU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Shadow said:

That may not be the best deal coming up with Black Friday almost here, but that thing is gonna run like a champ on steroids. A good value is only worth money minus convenience, hence the formula:

  • GV=M-C

therefore Good Value (GV) can further be broken down into:

  • GV=(M-C) / (Eom+P)-(A+R)

where Good Value is equal to (Money minus Convenience), divided by (Ease of mind plus Peace) less (Anger plus Rage).

Only YOU can determine what your true GV is.

 

Yeah, but I couldn't wait any longer. I just played and finished Iris & The Black Mage. Working on Lucy now.

Still got Written In Stone to do too. None of these would work with an asus with windows 7. Now I can take all these old pc's and laptops and recycle them. The batteries suck and the desktops/towers are all outdated. I used to build my own for just gaming, but now tech is so far forward that even a Lenovo can do it :) 

& then there's the idea of building my own TDM FM one day, with 12 cores of processing power maybe now I can get the water in the moat to work. That's when I stopped last. The water kept crashing the old pc's :( Now I just have to relearn Dark Radiant again...

When is the Christmas contest due? Maybe I can make a little snowy one... I love the snow in T2 & TDM :) & just incase, the water will be frozen lol ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

the i5 processor is $899. The i7 is $999. I got the i7 :)

You got the LOCKED i7.......the non overclockable i7. Yeah it's a good CPU regardless, but I got my 12700k to 5.1Ghz all core WITH a negative voltage offset, on air cooling.

 

I'm actually super curious about the difference, can you install Cinebench R23 and run multicore benchmark?
I'm currently getting 25033 pts with this overclock.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was curious how much better the -K version is, so I found a comparison.

     https://makethatpc.com/intel-core-i7-12700-vs-core-i7-12700k/

In summary, performance of not much more for single core but a big 50% more for multi core, plus personal nerdiness factor to care that it even matters. Either is going to soar, and myself currently on a 3rd gen i7 and not ever complaining about performance, the 12th gen i7 non-K is still worlds better than that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

I was curious how much better the -K version is, so I found a comparison.

     https://makethatpc.com/intel-core-i7-12700-vs-core-i7-12700k/

In summary, performance of not much more for single core but a big 50% more for multi core, plus personal nerdiness factor to care that it even matters. Either is going to soar, and myself currently on a 3rd gen i7 and not ever complaining about performance, the 12th gen i7 non-K is still worlds better than that.

 

 

Keep in mind, those comparisons are at stock values for both chips.

The K series are hugely overclockable, I'm running 1 core at 5.3Ghz and 2 active cores at 5.2Ghz. I'll have to run that again when I get home to see the single core performance.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 10:40 PM, AluminumHaste said:

You got the LOCKED i7.......the non overclockable i7. Yeah it's a good CPU regardless, but I got my 12700k to 5.1Ghz all core WITH a negative voltage offset, on air cooling.

 

I'm actually super curious about the difference, can you install Cinebench R23 and run multicore benchmark?
I'm currently getting 25033 pts with this overclock.

I've never over-clocked any of my pc's. I make sure I buy them I can run T2 & TDM. I'll install them both at the store just incase ;) However this pc came with an nvidia sub-menu to actually over-clock for gaming, but I don't know how that works & I don't care. As long as it works :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Acolytesix said:

I've never over-clocked any of my pc's. I make sure I buy them I can run T2 & TDM. I'll install them both at the store just incase ;) 

Got me laughing hard! I wish someone would really do this at some point in time. And record it. Especially the face of the employee. 😁

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recent Status Updates

    • peter_spy

      Perhaps an unpopular opinion: TDM team might benefit from someone with actual QA experience; someone with naturally and professionally developed curiosity, who is interested in how and why things work, how they break At least to me it's kind of mind-boggling how untested some rather important features are (first the absence alert feature for items, now the rope +body carry behavior).
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

      The Dark Mod is hosting an Ask Me Anything thread on the PC Gaming reddit forum:  https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/10nfcwj/hello_we_are_the_international_development_team/
      Feel free to join the discussion there
      · 2 replies
    • stgatilov

      Bumped into an interesting piece of wisdom called Hyrum's Law:
      With a sufficient number of users of an API, it does not matter what you promise in the contract: all observable behaviors of your system will be depended on by somebody.
      · 5 replies
    • The Black Arrow

      I love playing The Dark Mod when it's cold in my place. Bonus points when it's a bit (or even very) dark and it's raining, too.
      · 2 replies
    • The Black Arrow

      I've been having stutters in Vulkan, apparently it's Nvidia Drivers' fault, so I reverted to 512 according to this: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/505679/regular-microstutter-in-vulkan-applications-after-/?topicPage=40

      And no, that did NOT fix it. What's going on? My GPU is an RTX 2070, by the way.
      · 4 replies
×
×
  • Create New...