What if the visibility meter can remain the darkest ONLY when you stand still?

Loginnerer

And any time you move at all - your light meter shows you to be minimally visible? (The next visibility level up from if you were to stand still.)

Motion should attract more attention, or no? Of course people expect games to be more fun than realistic, but bugs me a bit personally. 

- Would that match with how detection system works in TDM? And if so:

- Do you think it would add anything to the game as a custom setting? Make stealth more immersive? Make it too difficult? Ruin existing FM experiences?

I think I would prefer this compared to the current rules of having to crouch all the time to maintain max concealment. It would better reflect the central optimization puzzle of this kind of game: how do you move from point A to point B with the least risk of detection? To my mind the key determinant of success should be the absolute question of where and when you decide to move, not how dedicated you are to holding the creep key.

Of course that change could have some nasty follow on effects. It might make this already very slow paced game even more so. And yes, there is some risk of breaking the difficulty curve of older FMs. But, TDM already supports a wide variety of difficulty adjustments for players to tinker with. As an option, I don't think a change like this would be any more game breaking than bumping up guard acuity by the normal method. 

No opinion on the matter yet, just adding some observations...

From what I can see in full darkness and according to the light gem:

• Crouched: full concealment
  • Standing: a little exposed
  • Running: more exposed (unless you run backwards lol)

Jumping doesn't seem to affect any condition.

TDM Modpack v2.0 (20/11/2022) - Visit:

Snatcher's Workshop - Mods for The Dark Mod

On 11/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, Loginnerer said:

And any time you move at all - your light meter shows you to be minimally visible? (The next visibility level up from if you were to stand still.)

Motion should attract more attention, or no?

If you're in total darkness, motion won't make you more visible.

Changes to these gameplay dynamics will most likely affect people who ghost the missions. It will make things more difficult for them (note that it's already hard to ghost).

I think the light gem system works great the way it is. That's the least of my concern with TDM.

Edited by chakkman

5 hours ago, chakkman said:

If you're in total darkness, motion won't make you more visible.

Changes to these gameplay dynamics will most likely affect people who ghost the missions. It will make things more difficult for them (note that it's already hard to ghost).

I think the light gem system works great the way it is. That's the least of my concern with TDM.

Good point on total darkness. And also I seemed to forget not everyone has the same contrast settings and it may look off to be hidden in some places you visually should not be.

However, I disagree with "it's already hard to ghost". It's hard for some to be patient maybe, but not to ghost. Depends on mission of course, but getting to crouch-walk away from right in front of someone approaching you feels way too forgiving. Poor movement decisions don't get penalized, as you can always just retreat back safely.

To be clear I would only be interested in it as a custom setting.

Edit: If only crouch-creeping (slowest speed) would maintain invisibility, it's already a big step up imo.

Edited by Loginnerer