The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved] Allow mantling while carrying a body

Daft Mugi

On 5/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, snatcher said:

Allow mantling while carrying my lucky dice? No?

Carrying an object is treated differently than shouldering a body in the code. I suppose the original thinking was that the player can't mantle while using both "hands" to carry something.

I've put it on my list of things to investigate. Stay tuned.

15 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

I suppose the original thinking was that the player can't mantle while using both "hands" to carry something.

I suppose. I also suppose players would naturally try to mantle while carrying a candle only to find out this is unnaturally restricted, regardless of the justifications.

15 hours ago, Daft Mugi said:

I've put it on my list of things to investigate. Stay tuned.

Many thanks in advance, Daft Mugi.

The show stopper happens in lines 5055 and 5056 of file game\physics\Physics_Player.cpp:

// Ishtvan: Do not attempt to mantle if holding an object
    if( gameLocal.m_Grabber->GetSelected() )
        return;

I wonder what would happen if these lines are commented out, if only for testing purposes... I am specially interested in seeing what happens with jumps.

TDM Modpack 4.0

• 3 months later...

This is most excellent news, @Daft Mugi! Thanks for your commitment and for your work.

Now, I haven't tested anything nor checked the code but I guess you applied similar limitations than when shouldering bodies. Apologies in advance if this is not the case. At the risk of sounding ungrateful I will say something the same: I already suggested somewhere else that it would be ideal if you include in your workflow going forward a step to see if parts of the code you work on can be made script-friendly. I have seen scripts making use of functionality - previously made available by others - in the most peculiar ways. I would say, from the little experience I have, that even the most irrelevant variable or function can make a difference when realizing that mad idea in a map or as a mod.

Having said that and once again: thank you very much for the efforts and for sharing the results with us.

TDM Modpack 4.0

7 hours ago, snatcher said:

Now, I haven't tested anything nor checked the code

The latest dev build includes it.

I guess you applied similar limitations than when shouldering bodies. Apologies in advance if this is not the case.

Yes, very similar limitations. There's a new cvar to adjust allowed mantle height while carrying an object.

The default is set to closely match the limitations of mantle while shouldering. Here's a video showing the limitations.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful I will say something the same: I already suggested somewhere else that it would be ideal if you include in your workflow going forward a step to see if parts of the code you work on can be made script-friendly.

I'm not sure what scripting would like for this.

Having said that and once again: thank you very much for the efforts and for sharing the results with us.

You're welcome!