The Dark Mod Forums

Mission with "Open Doors on Unlock" Bug

Araneidae

Not too sure where to report this, but found another mission which soft locks if "Open Doors on Unlock" is not set, namely "VFAT1: The Angel's Tear".  To be precise:

Spoiler

To complete the mission you need to unlock a panel covering a large painting and pick up a jewel embedded in the middle of the painting.  It seems that the jewel only becomes frobbable if the panel is unlocked with "Open Doors on Unlock" set.

So a bug in this particular mission.  I am running dev16818-10434, but I suspect this isn't relevant in this case ... the mission isn't worth replaying in another version to check, to be honest.  I was lucky to have a save file from before opening the panel!

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

Oh you mean Vengeance for a Thief Part 3.

Don't think I do.  The mission in questions has the short name vfat1, and the following content in its darkmod.txt:

Title: VFAT1: The Angel's Tear
Description: Steal a valueble diamond called The Angel's Tear
Author: Sir Taffsalot

I eventually resorted to this walkthrough to get it done.  This uses the name "Vengeance For A Thief 1 (Angel's Tear)".

Curiously, I can't find anything mentioning Angel's Tear in the missions database you linked to, but there is a reference in this post.  Oddly the description for vfat1 in the missions database appears to describe the "tear" as having already been stolen.

Edited by Araneidae

I think first mission one and two were A pawn in the game and The art of revenge. Then the campaign was introduced (which is still 3 seperate missions), which includes the prequel The angel's tear and the original missions got renamed.

But I think this isn't correctly updated in the mission database.

So here is a screenshot of vfat1 in the mission downloader:

fvat1-missdownloader.jpg.1467a730b09779262bba25201e616b1a.jpg

And here is vfat2 listed in the mission selection screen (after downloaded):

vfat2-misslist.jpg.5e4d950a8e76e706ef10b3c3b275615f.jpg

Clearly this is the same mission. In the mission listing the darkmod.txt is used, in the mission downloader something else is used.

But you're right that vfat1 is "The angel's tear".

Edited by datiswous

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Well, I can propose the best solution to the problem: delete the "Open doors on unlock" setting.

Would this mean that all doors are always open on unlocking them? Because I remember another mission where this needs to be true. I don't know the name but there was a code wheel that unlocked a grate in a bank and if it didn't automatically open, you were stuck!

17 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Well, I can propose the best solution to the problem: delete the "Open doors on unlock" setting.

I'd be unhappy about this, and I think this setting has been around for as long as I can remember.  I definitely prefer to open the door as a separate action after unlocking it, gives me more control with interacting with whatever is going on.  It can take time to unlock a door, and having the door suddenly open when you're not ready for it can land you in trouble!

• Like 1

I can reproduce the issue with "Open doors on unlock" on and off so I am fairly certain this issue has nothing to do with the setting. Just open and close the panel slightly a few times and you will see the item sometimes is frobable and sometimes isn't. I would say the trigger box gets in the way of the panel (or the other way around) and the game sometimes freaks out.

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

On 10/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, wesp5 said:

Would this mean that all doors are always open on unlocking them?

19 hours ago, Araneidae said:

I'd be unhappy about this, and I think this setting has been around for as long as I can remember.

No, it's the other way around.

Settings and defaults need to be discussed at some point. Is "Open Doors on Unlock" a "General" or a "Difficulty" setting? I would lean to the latter (No: normal door vs Yes: lazy automaton).

Dare I at this point propose a third category: "Legacy". Some will understand where this is going.

TDM Modpack 4.0

2 hours ago, snatcher said:

No, it's the other way around.

Settings and defaults need to be discussed at some point. Is "Open Doors on Unlock" a "General" or a "Difficulty" setting?

Okay, I still don't understand. Is open-on-frob going to be default or going away? Because the latter will break several missions that need to be fixed first! As for sorting the stuff on the setting tabs, as I wrote elsewhere, I would move all helper options to the difficulty settings, but not this one.

Edited by wesp5

On 10/22/2023 at 4:56 PM, wesp5 said:

I don't know what the default value is, is it open-door-on-frob?

Yes, auto-doors is the default.

On 10/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, wesp5 said:

Is open-on-frob going to be default or going away? Because the latter will break several missions that need to be fixed first!

It would be good to know which missions. Since it's the default I used auto-doors for many months thinking it was normal 😔

Edited by snatcher

TDM Modpack 4.0

I have it currently disabled. This is because sometimes there is a guard nearby and you want to wait with opening. Sometimes the door opens in your direction and then you want to step back before opening.

There should be a wiki article about how to fix dependency on it.

For example if you have a door that opens automatically after a number input, how to make it work when auto open on unlock is disabled.

• Like 1

Ok, I understand now. The name "Open Doors on Unlock" fooled me for some reason.

There are regular doors (and windows) that can expose you and then there are trap doors, manhole covers, chests, strong boxes, jewelry boxes, wardrobes, cabinets, desks, panels, showcases... and the game treats them all as doors. Tricky business.

TDM Modpack 4.0