The Dark Mod Forums

MSI HDMI Monitor

MPMcguire

• 2 weeks later...

You are effectively using a different GPU when using the onboard VGA port, which raises the question, what CPU / onboard GPU are you running?

My bet is that your 2 Gigs of VRAM are simply insufficient for running Iris at Full HD. Could you try a small FM like "The Parcel" with the new monitor and GPU?

Geforce GT 610 has "Turbocache" so it can use system memory to expand it's VRAM.

If you have old \ buggy Graphics drivers ( or no graphics drivers), that may not work too well.

Still, the mission will challenge a lowend GPU like this. Setting image_downsize settings should help it run:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Performance_Tweaks#Image_downsizing

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Device name    DESKTOP-JJQP8RQ
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz   3.19 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
Device ID    AD437894-5D3C-4DCB-9AD1-8E95732FDBCC
Product ID    00330-50362-88188-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

According to UserBenchmark, the "Intel® HD Graphics 530" that comes with your i5-6500 is more powerful than the Geforce GT610. Most motherboards that support this CPU have both HDMI and Display Port. Yours only has VGA? Can you post a picture of the rear I\O ?

• 2 weeks later...

Weird, what Intel driver do you have installed? What Nvidia driver? Since the Nvidia card is the weakest, can you remove it so it doesn't act as the primary?

The output of condump log would be nice.

Please hook up a monitor the troubled displayport and load the mission using some start-parameters. After And post the output of the condump in this topic.

Maybe we can answer it by giving some driver setting changes.

More info:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Debugging_TDM_systemerrors

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Can't understand why GPU behavior depends on monitor.

Maybe test all the configurations in Windowed mode with exactly the same resolution?
Perhaps with Borderless/Fullscreen you get different resolution and it affects how much VRAM you have.

In fact, WDDM also reserves some VRAM for itself in order to render Windows desktop. It means that there is different amount of VRAM left for TDM (which usually does not matter unless you are very low).
Maybe try to set Windows display resolution the same and check if two monitors behave the same?

Also I agree that image_downsize is worth a try: it should reduce VRAM demands of TDM. Same for lowering "Render Scale" in the graphics menu and disabling antialiasing.
You can also try some software which tracks amount of VRAM used, maybe you get some insights from it.

• 1 month later...