The Dark Mod Forums

Werewolf

oDDity

I think you should stick to coding if you see anything but vague resemblence between the model and those pictures. Your brain has obviously got a very rudimentary shape detection ability.

It's much more than just a vague resemblance, and anybody with his right mind could easily see this. It definitley looks as if you used something like that as your reference, even if there are enough differences to make it no totally exact.

Darkness Falls concept also has a short snout but it looks much more werewolfish than this WIP. I wait until the fur is on to get a better idea of how it will look then. After all, I still trust your modelling abillities enough that it will look good, once it is finished.

Gerhard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visual acuity is quite different from logical acuity. My brain has masterly 3d spatial awareness abilites, which develops though years spent modeling in a 3d environment and constantly having to extrapolate shapes into 3d space. I'm also an expert on anatomy,

I don't operate at the same basic level of vague shape comparison as you do, so forgive me if I don't agree with your rudimentary opinion on these matters.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Apparently you don't know how coding works, because even though coding doesn't require to analyze anatomic patterns, it still requires you to train in pattern detection a lot, if you want to be any good. After all, you have to transform a real world problem into a suitable solution on the computer.

Gerhard

Apparently you don't know how coding works, because even though coding doesn't require to analyze anatomic patterns, it still requires you to train in pattern detection a lot, if you want to be any good. After all, you have to transform a real world problem into a suitable solution on the computer.

Yeah but that's not as much about visual patterns as it is logical, conceptual patterns.

It's much more than just a vague resemblance, and anybody with his right mind could easily see this.

There's only a slight resemblance from the front, and that's only if you disregard all the other 3d information from the profile shots. The movie orcs had no real snout at all. If anything, the similiarity is only present in the brow ridges and ears, and you could find the same details in a hundred different humanoid monsters.

It's all very well posting pitures of dog skulls, etc, but remember this is not a dog, it's halfway between a man and a dog. If anything, it's more man than dog.

DF, maybe you could paint the textures for this, I havent' got a tablet, and it's pretty essential to have one to paint fur. The colour of fur you have thre is spot on, though it owuld be better s little more shaggy as it gets longer. He looks like he uses a good hair conditioner

I'll post up the UV map of the head when Ido it..

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure how to paint textures... :blush: I've wanted to learn though. If you can find a *good* online tutorial (one that you consider 'good') that has a similar goal and would explain for me how I would do this, I will take a stab at it. I've looked at a couple UV-mapping/texture tutorials, but nothing that good. It's still kind've an unknown for me.

A werewolf, by its name, is a cross between man & wolf: "A person transformed into a wolf or capable of assuming the form of a wolf." I posted up some canine pics to try and help fine-tune your model. Which side of the scale it leans to (human <----> wolf), or if we venture in other directions, is open to anyone's interpretation.

Too much hair conditioner? ;) You know it. My werewolf uses only the finest hair salon products and blow-dries his hair. No, that's one thing I wish I could do over again, but I was in a hurry and experimenting. I've never painted fur before; so I've learned some lessons.

Pattern is pattern.

I don't agree. You can't "see" a business workflow system pattern in the same way you can "see" polkadots. Computer programming patterns occour in your mind after comprehension. Visual patterns go in through your eyes and are recognised instantly. You can't convince me that's the same process :) It stands to reason that some people could be better at one than the other.

I don't agree. You can't "see" a business workflow system pattern in the same way you can "see" polkadots.

You are right. Of course it requires training. If I never saw one or the other it would be hard to make out the common pattern underneath it. But I'm working as a programmer for almost twenty years. In all that time I have ALWAYS heard from ALL clients "My software requirements are something totally unique and you can't compare it to something else." Well, they can believe that, but in MOST cases I can find similarities that makes it easy to implement their needs based on stuff I already did in the past, because the underlying patterns are similar. You just have to look for them and it saves a lot of time.

Computer programming patterns occour in your mind after comprehension. Visual patterns go in through your eyes and are recognised instantly.

If you believe that, you probably believe everything. :)

Of course it is not recognised instantly, it also has to go through processing in your brain but the human brian is optimized for visual input in a certain field. So fo course it is faster to look at an image then to listen to the description of the image and reconstruct it in your mind. That is a matter of the inputchannel though, and not of the principle.

You can't convince me that's the same process :) It stands to reason that some people could be better at one than the other.

Of course. Nobody denied this, and I certainly didn't say it's the same process. I only spoke about similarities, which IS what pattern recognition is about.

Gerhard

I think there comes a time when taking philosophical arguments should go to personal messages and emails. The poor werewolf thread has turned into a story about The Trials and Tribulations of Life and the General Philosophical Arguments of Humankind and the Visual Receptors Thereof. Detecting visual patterns is something that is not the same as detecting programming patterns. Visual patterns: you look at spatial relationships, colors, shapes, etc. Programming: you think about math, logic, repetitive code, correlations to code you've already seen, etc. Two different things. Seeing 3 triangles on a page with one slightly skewed from the other two is completely different than noticing a section of code has redundant processes. Visual pattern detection is different and is probably why it is tested independently in IQ tests, away from math/logic/reasoning/story problems. Case closed? From my standpoint, yes. But I'm sure Sparhawk will want to continue to fit the last word in (kidding! kind've... don't jab back, don't take so serious), so if more thoughts are absolutely necessary, please consider PM'ing.

so if more thoughts are absolutely necessary, please consider PM'ing.

I agree. It would be beneficial to helping keep threads clean if such debates were carried on in private. I have a feeling they would fizzle out much faster in private, since there wouldn't be an audience to amuse. ;)

Yeah - wierd. Those ARE goblins, and yet the filenames of the pics are "orc" and one even has "orc" in the image.

I remember the Orcs from the movie. I think any similarity between oDD's werewolf and the Orcs is just the basic similarity of a man with a carnivorous jaw on his face. Even the classic Doom 1 and 2 imps look similar in this way (to me).

Those big ones are Uruk-Hai, created by Saruman in the pits of Isengard. The orc pictures oDDity posted are of the orcs of Moria, who are also known as goblins, since they are rather puny and can clamber over things when escaping from the Balrog. The Mordor orcs are a bit less puny, able to take over Minas-Tirith in large numbers.

Sorry, I just wanted to see how many crazy fantasy names I could get into one post. Remember to rrrol your rrrrrs!