The Dark Mod Forums

Fx

comp-music

Hi TheDarkMod team.

i'm realy happy to join here........................

ok let me start something and thinking together:

when you hear the big sound door while open it you must believe (the door)big enough to make sound like that OK.therefor plz i want

1-screenshots for EVERY object you want FX for it,doors,torch.......even carpet! coz i must actually Calculat the atmosphere around the any objects like the room size or room high for reverb.......etc

2-screenshots for Wall size around the object especially the high.

4-what sound format you want,what bitrate,what sample rate (kHz),stereo sound how channel you want 2 or surround channel,5.1, 7.1, ............EAX supporting or not ........................................

.......etc?

3-MY object list exactly>we need 1,2,3 from you...............ok now i can work<

i have a small question,human_carpet (4/4) what this numbers mean?

I asked the T2X team if they would be willing to share their footstep sounds with Dark Mod and they kindly agreed to let us use them.

i don't prefer that,must darkmod special like any others,WE will make together a good sound.NP

thanx bye

1-screenshots for EVERY object you want FX for it,doors,torch.......even carpet! coz i must actually Calculat the atmosphere around the any objects like the room size or room high for reverb.......etc

That's not exactly how we go about it. We're making sounds for a toolset, not for specific maps. We can't know exactly what kind of room a mapper might put his door into. The idea is to have a series of generic sounds to choose from. An old squeaky door, a metal door, a regular door, etc.

Also, reverb is added by the D3 engine, and shouldn't be part of the original sound.

i have a small question,human_carpet (4/4) what this numbers mean?

That means we want four different versions of that sound, and currently have four.

I would suggest not starting with footstep sounds, since we already have some we can use. Better to start with the sounds we don't have yet, like impact sounds.

Pak is the lead of the sound department, but I don't know how active he is atm.

1-screenshots for EVERY object you want FX for it,doors,torch.......even carpet!

There's a model gallery, you can take a look there: http://www.tjoff.com/jens/darkmod/gallery/...m.php?albumID=5

If you can't find some model (f.e. I don't think there are all doors we have - - it's just texture that makes them diffrent.) you can ask for some photoconcepts if you have to see them first.

Besides that, I don't think that super accuracy is necessary for game purposes. While it's good to have several variations of let's say door sounds, you don't have to make separate sounds for each door, if you know what I mean.

must actually Calculat the atmosphere around the any objects like the room size or room high for reverb.......etc

2-screenshots for Wall size around the object especially the high.

This looks impossible for me, cause we don't have control over the way models are used by mappers - they can put door in small room, long corridor or even in the middle of desert, if they want. Thus I would suggest making some variatons, if it's possible. Just follow your nose and imagination. And it's better to have more SFX the less, so mappers could have bigger choice.

That's not exactly how we go about it. We're making sounds for a toolset, not for specific maps. We can't know exactly what kind of room a mapper might put his door into. The idea is to have a series of generic sounds to choose from. An old squeaky door, a metal door, a regular door, etc.

Well, but if he wants some screenshots as concepts to draw inspiration from, that can't really be a problem.

Gerhard

Hello comp, welcome to the den! :)

As Springheel said, we need generic sounds that go well with a number of objects.

Here are a few guidelines I can think of:

• Make them generic but good - some of the sounds will be played a lot in the game (especially if you want to make footsteps), so they shouldn't get annoying if often repeated.
  • We need plain sounds. As already mentioned, effects like reverb will be added by the game.
  • Same goes for the stereo effect for most sound fx. To avoid things like a phaser effect, I recommend making mono sounds for object dependent effects.
  • Same for volume. If possible, mix your sounds at maximum amplitude, but avoid overdrive. Volume can be adjusted with the sound shaders of the game. I think you can also manipulate pitch with them.
  • Avoid pauses at beginning and end of the sample, and consider which effects should be able to loop (the rustling chain of a drawbridge for example). To avoid clipping, looping samples should start and end at 0 amplitude.
  • Use 44100 Hz PCM WAVs for small samples. Doom 3 can handle OGG Vorbis files for longer sounds - I think even VBR ones - and we can keep the mod size smaller with them.

MY object list exactly>we need 1,2,3 from you...............ok now i can work<

Here are a few I know we need for starters:

1. Creaking rope sound (as if someone is climbing up it)

2. Squeaky door open/close

3. Metal door open/close

4. Simple wooden door open/close

5. Rustling vines (as if someone is climbing up it)

6. Sound of small bottle being uncorked and drank from (for drinking potions--quick sound)

7. Sound of page turning

Yes, don't go remaking the footstep sounds right now. I just barely put the T2X sounds ingame and got them tweaked. Since we have them in place, they should be the last thing we worry about, the good thing is that they're familiar to the thief community already and they're high quality.

As others suggested, lets start with sounds we don't already have. I had to do a lot of tap dancing to get those T2X sounds. I would hate to see them tossed out so quickly, especially with so many other sounds to make.

'Given on condition', 'had to tapdance' - what's up with that? Not to sidetrack, but that's disturbing to hear. Why are they so uptight about sharing with members of the Thief community? I don't know of other people out there creating assets for FMs and forbidding anyone else to use them. I'll withhold the rest of the sentiment.

-iron portcullis! (start, loop, end) :)

'Given on condition', 'had to tapdance' - what's up with that? Not to sidetrack, but that's disturbing to hear. Why are they so uptight about sharing with members of the Thief community? I don't know of other people out there creating assets for FMs and forbidding anyone else to use them. I'll withhold the rest of the sentiment.

I'm not sure...I think it's just the amount of work it took for them to pull it all together, five years in total. I think they will loosen up later, after all...they did agree to let us use them. :) They won't even let the Thief community use assets within Thief Gold or Thief 2, so that goes a long way towards showing how much they appreciate what we're doing. :)

I'm not sure...I think it's just the amount of work it took for them to pull it all together, five years in total. I think they will loosen up later, after all...they did agree to let us use them. :) They won't even let the Thief community use assets within Thief Gold or Thief 2, so that goes a long way towards showing how much they appreciate what we're doing. :)

I already said that before, but I still don't see any point in working on somethign that has to be free anyway and then put arbitrary resitritcions on it, which are only designed to block other people from using the stuff to make new good content with it.

Well, we can only respect their wishes, but with this kind of attitude I rather would replace that stuff sooner than later.

Gerhard

Yeah, I think everyone knows how I feel about the reverb in a few of the T2X footsteps. Every time I walk on a stone floor in an open space I want to scream. :)

@Comp-music:

As others have said, the mapper can set up reverb filters for each room if they want, so we can just use one "anechoic" sound and filter it as needed for the room, rather than create countless versions of the same sound for different reverb environments. Also, FX sounds should be mono as was mentioned, otherwise the player won't be able to locate them in space.

Doom 3 can handle OGG Vorbis files for longer sounds - I think even VBR ones - and we can keep the mod size smaller with them.

Point of information: ALL Vorbis files are VBR, there is no such thing as CBR Vorbis (you can approximate it by imposing restrictions on the bandwidth fluctuations, but it is still not truly constant and the quality is much less).

Point of information: ALL Vorbis files are VBR, there is no such thing as CBR Vorbis (you can approximate it by imposing restrictions on the bandwidth fluctuations, but it is still not truly constant and the quality is much less).

Aye, you're correct. Somehow I got the nominal BR of oggs mixed up with the CBR of mp3s. Serves me right for posting when my brain is already asleep.

If someone wanted to take the time to package up only the assets required for the map then you could... but that's pretty tedious and error-prone.

Would be nice to have a utility to automate this. Could be useful for mappers too, to make sure they haven't forgotten to package any custom assets. Now if only I had infinite free time... :rolleyes:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

HI Everybody

Make them generic but good - some of the sounds will be played a lot in the game (especially if you want to make footsteps), so they shouldn't get annoying if often repeated.

oh my GOD. i'm already beginning since yesterday to create differant kind of footsteps metal,carpet .....etc

today i just log in and i see a lot of opinions!!!!!!

Yes, don't go remaking the footstep sounds right now. I just barely put the T2X
As others suggested, lets start with sounds we don't already have

Yeah, I think everyone knows how I feel about the reverb in a few of the T2X footsteps. Every time I walk on a stone floor in an open space I want to scream

What is that? How i supposed to work now ? i'll STOP untill know who is the BOSS here,and b4 told me here i'm,show my sfx LIST,exactly list like this http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2698

NOT general list and everyone known this list.what's problem with that? i waste more than 5 hours to create some footsteps and surprise! we don't need it-create else.

For everyone>>>>>>>>>> i know about sound quite familiar i'm was study music above 5 years,and now i study sound editing, mix,effect..etc

did anybody here ask me what kind of reverb i mean? ECHO,DELAY,and more there are kind of reverb! i did't mean the reverb itself >i mean there is some calculate in sound and i'm did't need to explain what sound calculate means? coz that i side reverb,this word is famous >plz stop talking and let's WORK plz

thanx bye

What is that? How i supposed to work now ? i'll STOP untill know who is the BOSS here

As I said, Pakmannen is the Sound Department Lead. However, he has been pretty busy lately and may not post very often. New Horizon is another admin with Sound responsibilities.

did anybody here ask me what kind of reverb i mean? ECHO,DELAY,and more there are kind of reverb! i did't mean the reverb itself >i mean there is some calculate in sound and i'm did't need to explain what sound calculate means?

Take a deep breath. Your English isn't exactly the easiest to understand, so don't get too worked up if people don't understand exactly what you mean the first time around.

b4 told me here i'm,show my sfx LIST,exactly list like this http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2698

NOT general list and everyone known this list.what's problem with that? i waste more than 5 hours to create some footsteps and surprise! we don't need it-create else.

If you want to create sounds that are on that list, that's great. However, you should notice that all the footstep sounds on that list are already done (well, the human ones, anyway). It's great to be enthusiastic, but if you're worried about wasting time, you probably shouldn't launch ahead and start making sounds without getting feedback about what we need. Anything on that list with a 0 in it is a fine place to start.

i waste more than 5 hours to create some footsteps and surprise! we don't need it-create else.

It's definitely not a waste of time. As I already explained before, the footsteps that we have at the moment, were given to us as a curtesy by T2X on the condition that we replace thew with our own creation when we have the opportunity. They also said that we can release them if we DON'T have the oppurtunity, but that means that we at least should try. So your work is definitely not wasted, because this is the condition and you fullfilled that, if you did it already.

Gerhard