The Dark Mod Forums

Small Model Request

angua

I would like to have some light emitting mushrooms in our cave area.

Pinkdot, would you like to make some? If you don't have time I can make some myself, but I have a feeling that the results will look better if you make them. :)

Thanks for your trust in me :) Surely, I'll make some with pleasure (have some already on my mind). Just give me a couple of days for that, cause I'm also working on other stuff at the moment, OK?

I was going to ask you for the colour you wish them to be, when I realised that if I make the texture white (well, not pure white, you know), then we can make several skins using red, green and blue keywords in material definition to get any colour we want. That should be more versatile, I think. And we like word "versatile" in this mod... :);)

Finally I managed to get a piece of spare time to do it...

mushrooms.jpg

Currently they have only green and red skins - you can make whatever colours you like simply by changing red, green and blue components in ADD stage map. (it's white by default). You can have two or more add stages, depending on the shining intensity you want. Their diffuse stage uses _black.tga map to avoid any shadowing on them coming from directional light (cause they're selflit). Maybe there's more elegant way to do that?

If you like them, I'll make some single models as well, or other small groups. But anyway - I don't think they suit caves very well. I'm going to make something like this for mushrooms growing on rocks:

http://rze.pl/firmy/grzyby/gr/f/02.jpg

http://www.biol.uni.wroc.pl/obuwr/archiwum/4/image/48.jpg

http://www.biol.uni.wroc.pl/obuwr/archiwum/4/image/49.jpg

I think you have to put 'noshadows' if you want them to not be affected by other shadows (though then they won't cast one either). Noselfshadow just keeps it from casting a shadow on itself, doesn't it?

I always get confused about those two. :)

Yes, the material has already "noselfshadow" keyword. But I'm talking about something else. I think there's a word for that - chiaroscuro. Diffuse stage computes which polygons are lit by the light and which are not. But I wanted them to be completely flat (no chiaroscuro) so I put black map for diffuse stage. Otherwise they would be light by their own light source...

Orb- I know - but I like it with the shadow. Since it's not set in material but on entity, it's entirely up to mapper if he want's that shadow or not. And please mind that it's triple sources light. If it was just single mushroom I wouldn't do that.

Yes, the material has already "noselfshadow" keyword. But I'm talking about something else. I think there's a word for that - chiaroscuro. Diffuse stage computes which polygons are lit by the light and which are not. But I wanted them to be completely flat (no chiaroscuro) so I put black map for diffuse stage. Otherwise they would be light by their own light source...

I believe you can leave out the diffuse stage altogether, this is basically equivalent to using _black. Materials can have just an additive (self-illuminating) stage if required.

Orb- I know - but I like it with the shadow. Since it's not set in material but on entity, it's entirely up to mapper if he want's that shadow or not. And please mind that it's triple sources light. If it was just single mushroom I wouldn't do that.

It's totally unrealistic though -- as the mushrooms are the light source, it doesn't make sense for them to cast a black shadow in their own light. You don't see a shadow of a lightbulb when you turn on an ordinary light in real life.

It's totally unrealistic though -- as the mushrooms are the light source, it doesn't make sense for them to cast a black shadow in their own light. You don't see a shadow of a lightbulb when you turn on an ordinary light in real life.

Put three candles close to each other - each candle would cast two shadows, wouldn't it? The above image is obviously simplified situation, cause there's only one shadow per mushroom, instead of two. And again - if you don't like it, just turn off shadowcasting for mushrooms in your map. :)

edit: the reason why mushroom shadows wouldn't be that noticeable in RL is because they're not point light sources, so they would produce very blurred shadows (so called area shadows). And then the shadows would be lit by the mushrooms itselfs... OK, maybe you're right that lack of shadows would be closer to realism than those sharp shadows, but still... I like it... maybe because it helps identify their location in 3D space? Objects without shadows seem to float under the ground.

I believe you can leave out the diffuse stage altogether, this is basically equivalent to using _black. Materials can have just an additive (self-illuminating) stage if required.

I've checked that too. Without diffuse stage, add stage draws "ghost" mushrooms on the background. In other words - mushrooms were transparent.

edit: the reason why mushroom shadows wouldn't be that noticeable in RL is because they're not point light sources, so they would produce very blurred shadows (so called area shadows). And then the shadows would be lit by the mushrooms itselfs... OK, maybe you're right that lack of shadows would be closer to realism than those sharp shadows, but still... I like it... maybe because it helps identify their location in 3D space? Objects without shadows seem to float under the ground.

Exactly. In real life you would get two very faint, blurry shadows from each mushroom -- one from each of the other two mushrooms. However since Doom 3 cannot produce faint blurry shadows, in my view it is better to have no shadow at all than a harsh, pitchblack shadow which makes it obvious the light is actually coming from a point above the mushrooms rather than the mushrooms themselves.

I've checked that too. Without diffuse stage, add stage draws "ghost" mushrooms on the background. In other words - mushrooms were transparent.

That sounds plausible actually -- without a diffuse stage the material will not write to the Z buffer and therefore will not occlude geometry behind it.

Keep in mind we have a lantern you can give to the player, so that you aren't obligated to place some form of light at various points in the level, if you so wish. You can have total spooky darkness.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry107221

Of course, but as you inferred, the lantern can be given to the player...it's not default. The mushrooms are great for mood lighting.

Not only that, those mushrooms are one of the few "believable" possibilities to light the bonehoard caves, as such caves should be totally dark normally.

especially that lantern in Bonehoard cause serious problems and should not be used... ;)

They look good enough to eat!

Though they're probably poisonous, so maybe not...

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

OK, so the mushrooms are on SVN now.

Sorry about that delay. I can't spend much time on the mod recently... and I feel that I lost some enthusiasm for it as well... I'm going to work on some other, more serious things for my portfolio. I'll still be around and most of the things I'll be working on will fit into the mod's universe, but I won't be available for requests for some time.

OK, so the mushrooms are on SVN now.

Cool!

I can't spend much time on the mod recently... and I feel that I lost some enthusiasm for it as well...

Sorry to hear that. Understandable though I guess. We really appreciate what you've done so far!

Good luck with your portfolio; not that you need luck with your skill. ;)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.