The Dark Mod Forums

Performance killing bug?

AluminumHaste

I keep getting this in my maps that I make.

missing 'raise' animation on 'player1' (player_tdm_thief)
writing to: \\.\pipe\dm_renderpipe
writing to: \\.\pipe\dm_renderpipe
missing 'raise' animation on 'player1' (player_tdm_thief)

Over and over again. It seems to get worse if more lightsources are visible to the player. IE, if I turn away the error still appears in the console, but at a much slower rate. I put in 6 light sources and the error causes FPS to go from 60 down to 12.

Am I missing something when compiling?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Don't use testmap, use dmap and then map to compile and run your mission.

I don't use testmap, I use these commands;

>dmap mapName
>devmap mapName

And I get these errors. Can this be caused by leaving DarkRadiant open at the same time as doom3?

Don't use devmap either, use map. DarkRadiant is not the cause here, although some people have reported significant FPS slowdowns.

Yes there are significant slowdowns (almost 50%) when having both open at the same time.

I'm very curious what supposed benefit testmap or devmap has, some more tools to test things maybe, stuff we don't use or need? I used to like the fact that testmap would compile and load the map all together, but after a while I would always get some error and have to do a map command anyway, so now I just do dmap and then map since "d" is shorter than "test".

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm very curious what supposed benefit testmap or devmap has, some more tools to test things maybe, stuff we don't use or need? I used to like the fact that testmap would compile and load the map all together, but after a while I would always get some error and have to do a map command anyway, so now I just do dmap and then map since "d" is shorter than "test".

devmap enables cheats ;)

Like god mode and noclipping etc (in case you want to fly around your map)

Yeah, I god and noclip all the time with just dmap and map. So it must be something else, some other diagnostic tools maybe

Well in the original Doom3 in order to use cheats you had to use devmap AFAIK, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'm thinking of Quake 3

... as well as in Quake 3. =)

Oh no, I know for sure that you can't change certain vars unless you use devmap. For example, load up quake 3 with the latest patch and try changing lodCurveError. It is cheat protected and you have to use devmap to change it.

EDIT: Also. changing sv_cheats to 1 doesn't work unless you use devmap. I've tried.

Edited by AluminumHaste

Also if you play locally?

Well, cheating in Q3 is quite pointless. If you play against the bots, it doesn't really make sense, as it is still multiplayer without human opponents. And if you play online against other players, then it's correct to disable cheating. Might be that they didn't bother to differentiate these szenarios.

Gerhard

Also if you play locally?

Well, cheating in Q3 is quite pointless. If you play against the bots, it doesn't really make sense, as it is still multiplayer without human opponents. And if you play online against other players, then it's correct to disable cheating. Might be that they didn't bother to differentiate these szenarios.

Oh there's other reasons to use cheat protected cvars, such as r_lodCurveError (which defaults to a terrible 250 units and is cheat protected) and r_subdivisions (which defaults to 4 and is also cheat protected). Look at the difference in the curved hallways and architecture, see what I mean? the curveerror cvar tells the game at which distance to lower the Level of detail for curves, which is 250 units, but I would like to change that to the max of 9,999 (or 10,000) but they are cheat protected and can only be changed using the devmap command. Changing sv_cheats to 1 only gets it changed back to 0 when starting the game.

This is using the defaults of r_lodCurveError = 250 and r_subdivisions = 4

shot0037zm4.th.jpg

This is using r_lodCurveError = 10000 and r_subdivisions = 1

shot0036js9.th.jpg

There is a huge difference. More examples:

shot0035gm2.th.jpgshot0033vy1.th.jpgshot0031ye2.th.jpgshot0029sf2.th.jpg

shot0034xq2.th.jpgshot0032mh6.th.jpgshot0030am9.th.jpgshot0028oe0.th.jpg

But we're getting a little off topic, thanks for all the help guys :)