The Dark Mod Forums

Concept Art Position

kfmccall

Hi, My name is Kevin McCall. I'm a junior in highschool and overly enthused with the passion to create art and would like to apply for the Dark Mod. I worked on MEmod for Morrowind (The Middle Earth Mod for Morrowind) in the past as a concept artist, mainly designing medieval/fantasy-rpg styled settings revolving around tolkien's world. I worked alongside Atti, who is on the Dark Mod, drawing him a few concept art pieces here and there.

I don't know TOO much about the Thief series,but I'm more than willing to learn about the games, and have a bit of knowledge on medieval armour/weapons and architecture.

Here are a few examples of my work.

Character_001.jpg

Character_002.jpg

Character_01.jpg

Character_05.jpg

Character_09.jpg

House_02.jpg

House_Concept_01.jpg

Thanks for checking out my application, I'm looking forward to seeing (and hopefully contributing) to the completion of the Dark Mod.

-Kevin McCall (aka kfmccall)

Edited by kfmccall

I love all of those pics. NOt having any knowledge of Thief could be a problem, but there are a lot of more generic medieval to Victorian concepts to be done as well.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear kfmccall

Very nice work...Im not a traditional artist but i loved your art and lines..So cool..

BUT

PLEASE get the THIEF series..seriously..Just play the game, look at the cutscenes..It s really an awesome inspirational river which making US (this team) come together and so many minds around the world addicted...

No matter what first get thetwo games...Thief the dark project and Thief 2 metal age...You will not only get one of the MOST important and influential gaming experience but also you will get eternal inspiration...(*)

BEST

deaer Draven...!!!!

I ll hunt you down...!!! :) when you try to get your inspiration from somewhereelse!!! :)

MAN! ... And thief is THAT MUCH good.....

BESt

THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD

THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD

THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD

THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD

THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD

THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD.THIEF is THAT MUCH GOOD

dear DRAVEN!!!!!!!

Im not saying it s the only thing in the world which has eternal inspirational essence inside...But in game industry it s RARE to find the gem like THIEF

It s a timeless game...Its design is timeless as well. You cant tell Thief is in that time period..It has many layers, its textual concept so much better than almost (i worked in that field) every movie, It has so much side thoughts behind it..Level design breathtaking, character development first class...

SO in game industry for me at least THE eternal inspiration is tthe one and only Thief... That s why im here :)

BEST

Ya Theif did revolutionize the game industry. I agree if your looking for inspiration within the game industry theif is a great example. Although it also depends upon ur personallity and likes/dislikes. For example im a huge western fan theirfor i found inspiration in 'Red Dead Revolver' created by Rockstar although as you stated correctly Theif could be pretty much any time period (within reason) and you could inco-orporate almost anything into it.

My point wasnt that Theif didnt have merit for giving inspiration i just said its not the be all and end all of inspiration within the game industry

Hi Kfmccall. I'm the head of the art department, and just wanted to welcome you aboard. Looking over your work, I think the place we could best use you right now would be for some environmental shots, both interior and exterior.

Take a look at some of the Thief sites on the web to get a feel for the setting...ours is going to stick pretty close to that, although with perhaps more of a victorian look mixed into the medieval gothic.

Our first 'theme' is mansions, so how about starting there? Any exterior or interior shots of gothic/victorian style mansions would be great.

Bummer, looks like I missed his/her artwork. They're broken links now...

Note: I started my Thief gaming career with Thief 2. Not totally on purpose, but it just happened that way. In the end, I liked that I played through T2 and then worked back to Thief 1. You might think that's weird and backwards, but it worked really well for me as it made me a long-term fan.

Had I started with Thief 1, I'm not so sure I would've gotten hooked. There's a specific reason why. One that I believe oDDity shares with me, but I won't get specific.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Guest Michael Longlands / Darth Garuda

I am currently in University at the minute, I want to go and do concept work for games etc. This would provide some much needed experience. I can produce work in many mediums. I have recently started doing digital paintings too.

I have a small site that showcases some of my work, this site is mostly fan art. I have lots of original ideas too, in fact most of the art on my HD is original designs.

The site: Art of Garuda

I have work spread out over the internet, on PlanetAVP, theforce.net, imperialarchives.co.uk

I get asked to help people with art pretty often, designing new versions of characters for lightsabre.co.uk at the minute, also working on a short strip for The Rancors Tooth publication in the US.

THose are great drawings, Michael, but have you any knowledge of the Thief universe?

edit: Just to expand on that - we're not exactly short of concept artists, so we can afford to be choosy.

You not only have to be a great artist, but you have to have good knowledge of Thief.

What you need to do is draw us a Thief related character concept and we'll judge you on that.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Guest Michael Longlands / Darth Garuda

I know quite a lot about Garret, and all the different guilds, factions and religions in Theif.

I know the weapons, the kinds of loot that you can steal. I know that it's not set in a totally realistic period. There may be licence to introduce technology, stuff not around the same time as the period style buildings.

The main inspiration for my art is fantasy movies, so I mostly paint concepts of armour weapons and species of strange creatures.

Sorry Mchael,

Our art division is pretty full at the moment. KFM nicely filled a bit of a gap we had in the environmental art area, but our character art needs are already covered. Thanks for offering, though. :)