The Dark Mod Forums

Shotgun's textures

shotgun

Here's another window in the works - not sure what surface to make the outer border thing (just used temp). Maybe make it more ornaments.

That's looking very good, we can definitely use these. I'd just skip the border entirely, mappers will fit this into any frame they can come up with.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You definitely have a talent for stained glass, which we are sadly lacking. The more the merrier. :)

I like it, though it seems a bit odd to have a bottom border but not a top one.

Those are really sweet, shotgun, me likes a lot :)

I didn't have time during the last few days, but I will continue adding your textures soon (unless you want to add them yourself).

I also like your fluffy rug normal map, I think I will add it to your other rugs too.

Springhell: that's a good point, I'll see about squeezing in smt at the top.

I'm working on a circle window now and I'm wondering if I should alpha-out the rest or fill it in with more glass and stick to square? Waddya say? Could we use such an anomaly?

I think it looks great! Don't know which method would be most useful for mappers; I'll let them comment.

Springhell: that's a good point, I'll see about squeezing in smt at the top.

I'm working on a circle window now and I'm wondering if I should alpha-out the rest or fill it in with more glass and stick to square? Waddya say? Could we use such an anomaly?

window_hammer_circle_edweb.JPG

Wow, that one is damn sweet.

I think it would be better not to alpha it out. As a mapper if I want a round window I'd create a round hole or round patch and align the center of the texture onto that, so no need to alpha it out. If you want you can just leave the outline rocky or whatnot, up to you.

Those windows are gorgeous; I especially love the sword one (omfg). One question/concern: is the lighting on it (or any of them really) in-game or baked into the diffuse? If it's in the diffuse, it will limit the usability somewhat (but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be added). If it's in-game... meaning that's all natural and result of specularity... then holy crap, it's even better than I thought. :blink:

Edit: also, I'm not sure if contributors have SVN access(?) but if so, take a look at arcturus' recent window submissions to see a great way of implementing and organizing them for all light levels (with or without light entities).

wow sir those are some beautiful windows.

Are your textures on the SVN? I'm still downloading it.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Happy cheese: I don't know, Anugua is responsible for that, for now. I do supply download links though...

Sneaksie: I really liked your map screenshots. Watcha got cook'n now? If you need 'personal assistance' with the texture I'll be happy to comply.

Some of the windows have more light 'baked' into them, In any case only backlight (from the outside behind, not on the surface). The sword in particular has none baked, all you see is specular. Download the texture you can see.

Ah, I see it is in fact specular (and colored no less) and not baked. Very, very nice. :wub: I really like all of these windows (not to mention the earlier textures as well). The specular hues you're using work for me, that's for sure. I'm very happy to see our number of quality texture contributions increasing with time. ^_^

As for what I'm working on map-wise, not much at this moment. I started to remake a map from Blade of Darkness for practice/testing/fun, but haven't touched it for maybe a month. The others, requiring my own creativity ( :unsure: ) are on the backburner to that. Haven't had a whole lot of free time and creative concentration lately, unfortunately.

Compared to the one in the previous post? Yes, I like the former's deeper, richer colors. By the same token though, if I wasn't directly comparing them, I'd say they're both good. And that orangey-round-hammer one is really sweet.

I do feel some TDM settling back in me already, so I am hoping to get back on track. :) Just a lot of... distracting... RL things going on lately.

@angua: I've seen that you've added a few of these; are you still doing so? I don't want to step on toes, but I could help out.

I also think we should start making use of the chopping block thread to cull some of the less-desirable textures out, especially with all of the good submissions recently (and masterbuilderstore's possibilities). I know, broken record, but we haven't done it yet. I've also got I believe perhaps 5 or so contribution folders from over the last year or so, things still needing to get up there, so there's certainly no shortage anymore. :)

@angua: I've seen that you've added a few of these; are you still doing so? I don't want to step on toes, but I could help out.
Thanks for the offer, Sneaksie, but there are only a few left and I hope I can get them in over the week end. :)

I also think we should start making use of the chopping block thread to cull some of the less-desirable textures out, especially with all of the good submissions recently (and masterbuilderstore's possibilities). I know, broken record, but we haven't done it yet. I've also got I believe perhaps 5 or so contribution folders from over the last year or so, things still needing to get up there, so there's certainly no shortage anymore. :)
That's a good idea, maybe there are even a few where we can replace the current version with a new one of similar appearance but better quality.

Call it done and put download?

This will be the last window for now. I'll move on I think to try some more elaborate ornaments on walls and such. Wonna see how that goes, normal mapping wise. Sounds good?

Aye, bring it on. :)

Sweet! Just downloaded them, will add soon. :)

All your older textures are up now.

Update: all textures are on SVN (those new windows are really good! :wub: )

Now I only have to upload the tgas to the hires repository.

Shotgun, do you already have SVN? If you want I can help you adding your textures yourself.

It would be nice to have selflit versions of the windows, would someone like to add shaders with blend add?

Happy birthday shotgun! :)

Here's my present for you, the instructions to get your textures on SVN... ;)

Take a look here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...to_The_Dark_Mod

and here for adding files to SVN:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...dd_files_to_SVN

Basically, you have to first place your files in the right folders. For example, I put your purple hammer window files in

darkmod\textures\darkmod\window\ornate\hammer_purple_ed.jpg

darkmod\textures\darkmod\window\ornate\hammer_purple_local.tga

darkmod\dds\textures\darkmod\window\ornate\hammer_purple.dds

darkmod\dds\textures\darkmod\window\ornate\hammer_purple_s.dds

Note that the dds files go into the dds folder and that the extensions should be lower case.

Then you have to take care of the naming. The names should describe what the texture looks like. I didn't include window_ in the name, because this should be already clear from the folder where the texture is located. You should also avoid names like ground_... or kitchen_..., because the textures could also be used as a cave wall or in a bathroom. The diffuse map should not have the _d in the name. Just have a look at the existing textures for examples. :)

Then you make your shader. Open the right material file (in this example materials/tdm_windows.mtr) in the materials folder in a text editor. Add the following lines:

// Author: shotgun
textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple
{
glass

qer_editorimage  textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple_ed
diffusemap		  textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple
bumpmap		   textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple_local
specularmap	   textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple_s
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

// TDM Ambient Method Related
{
	blend	 add
	map		textures/darkmod/window/ornate/hammer_purple
	red		global2
	green	global3
	blue	global4
}
}

where you enter the correct names of your ed, local, diffuse and specular (you can omit the line with the specular if you don't have a specular map). You don't need /dds/ or the extension, Doom will figure this out by itself.

Before you upload the textures, you should check if everything works correctly. If you don't know how to work with DarkRadiant yet, here's a tutorial for you:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...uide_Start_Here!

If you have checked your textures and everything is alright, select your texture files in windows explorer -> right click -> SVN add. This will not upload them yet, but mark them for uploading. After you have done this for all files, you go into the trunk folder darkmod/ -> right click -> Commit. Make sure the texture files and the mtr files are selected (and nothing else), add a comment, click ok.

This should be it, feel free to ask if anything is still unclear. :)

Oh god, this is always what I wanted! I'm so excited!! best birthday gift ever!!!

My friends are gonna be so jealous... :)

Ok ok, so, I'll put the files where ever I reckon suitable. That's was my main concern, not to interrupt your naming procedures...

Now I'm looking at idSDK trying to figure out what does what, and it doesn't explain clearly what everything does. My interest in understanding shaders is to utilize all the program features that enhance the texture/material, but most tutorial just cover the basic "copy-paste and rename" procedure...

Modwiki is a good reference for this kind of thing. (Check out the quick reference links on the right for the keywords, and there's also a tutorial linked at the bottom.) It's not complete but it's the best out there AFAIK. The page for the blend keyword is definitely worth a look if you're after unusual effects.
My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 1 month later...