shotgun

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, I'm getting back on the TDM texturing track. Here's one for the morning, something for the richly decorated yet old and neglected mansion houses:

Stone_tile_starpod

Cool to see you back :) The texture looks like it as no normalmap, tho? Or is it supposed to be perfectly flat?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I enhanced it slightly and moved the lighting so it's more visible.

Cool, thanx! (Although I think it would have been better to post a new pic and leave the old, so one can see the difference. I viewed the first on yesterday on my laptop and the new on now on the CRT, so it is really hard to say how it changed :)

Anyway, do you have access to the mod to include the textures directly, or should someone from us handle this?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Anyway, do you have access to the mod to include the textures directly, or should someone from us handle this?

Anuga was taking care of this so far, I rather naively pretend the paperwork doesn't exist (until the cops arrest me, basically). Here's a 256 Trim version. For some reason I'm not quite able to pin-point, it didn't come out very well.

I feel what we need is more texture sets for mappers to work with, filling more 'sets' and less stand-alones. Watcha think guys?

I feel what we need is more texture sets for mappers to work with, filling more 'sets' and less stand-alones.

This is precisely what we need, yep. Especially finished wood sets; right now we just have a bunch of different hued, different detail leveled, different patterned mishmash of standalone woods. Others too (stone trims are very limited) but especially the woods.

YES YES YES!!!

We are very lacking in 'texture sets'.

I'd like to see a full range.

Stone wall, same stone wall with dirt on bottom, same stone wall with drips at top (that could be made into a 3 story building, a two story, whatever.)

Same stone wall again but maybe some damage marks, chipped or missing blocks.

Same stones with trim along top and/or bottom.

Most games have stuff like this. We really don't.

-----------

Nice tile tex there. Very fitting for an old manor.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Oh, you mean it has to be the *same* stone wall? no cuz your post was somewhat ambiguous :P

Yes ok I'll do that. Is there a particular texture we have / I made that you'd like variations to?

I completely forgot to fix the trim version above. I'll do that tomorrow. I worked on this wooden.. pre-set (meaning, I'll trim it down to stand-alones to create a set). Still in-da-works.

wood_trip_edweb_wip.JPG

Beautiful

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I like the wood grains a lot. The top and the bottom strike me as odd though.

Me likes the wood grain, and the top, it is unique. The bottom seems not yet finished :)

Seems he might paint in greyscale and multiply layers on top :)

Yeah, basically have one tiling stone wall tex. Tiles in ALL directions. (Base Tex)

Then make a variation that is dirty along bottom. This one only tiles horizontally because of the dirt along bottom. But for a tall wall you just put the base tex above it. Then they both look like one seamless vertical texture.

Then have another of the base tex, but put some drips down from top (not all the way down). You could then place this above the base to make the wall even taller, but appear to be one texture.

post-1981-1225640587_thumb.jpg

Obviously this is crappy and doesn't tile. But with this set you can stack textures to get a full range of effects on a wall and they all match and line up good. Either just use the base for 'clean walls' or use the drip (maybe in sewer), or stack like above but have 3 base tex vertically in the middle for a really tall wall.

Other variations could be a base tex with big stones along the bottom (like a foundation), or one with fancy trim along the top (roof). These would need different normal maps, but the dirty ones above would only need different diffuse maps.

This is good for big buildings like a castle where you want the entire place built out of the same stone, but you want character in different spots. It all matches but doesn't all look like one repeated tex.

It would actually be good to do like T2 tex. Baffords brick was yellow, but they also had the same bricks in blue.

Not sure, but we might also be able to add the drips or dirt with an overlay in a material. This can be tough though 'cause I'm not great with shaders and sometimes that can make the tex 'glow' or get brighter.Tels might be able to help more with that, he's pretty good with shaders.

Seems he might paint in greyscale and multiply layers on top :)

Yeah, basically have one tiling stone wall tex. Tiles in ALL directions. (Base Tex)

Then make a variation that is dirty along bottom. This one only tiles horizontally because of the dirt along bottom. But for a tall wall you just put the base tex above it. Then they both look like one seamless vertical texture.

Then have another of the base tex, but put some drips down from top (not all the way down). You could then place this above the base to make the wall even taller, but appear to be one texture.

post-1981-1225640587_thumb.jpg

Obviously this is crappy and doesn't tile. But with this set you can stack textures to get a full range of effects on a wall and they all match and line up good. Either just use the base for 'clean walls' or use the drip (maybe in sewer), or stack like above but have 3 base tex vertically in the middle for a really tall wall.

Other variations could be a base tex with big stones along the bottom (like a foundation), or one with fancy trim along the top (roof). These would need different normal maps, but the dirty ones above would only need different diffuse maps.

This is good for big buildings like a castle where you want the entire place built out of the same stone, but you want character in different spots. It all matches but doesn't all look like one repeated tex.

It would actually be good to do like T2 tex. Baffords brick was yellow, but they also had the same bricks in blue.

Not sure, but we might also be able to add the drips or dirt with an overlay in a material. This can be tough though 'cause I'm not great with shaders and sometimes that can make the tex 'glow' or get brighter.Tels might be able to help more with that, he's pretty good with shaders.

Not sure, but we might also be able to add the drips or dirt with an overlay in a material

Yes, dirt can be done quite easily this way, using a blend modulate (IIRC) filter. Basically it darkens whatever is underneath, which is sufficient for dirt or stains.

It would be pretty straightforward to take an existing texture and make new shaders that blend our existing decals into it.

Yes, dirt can be done quite easily this way, using a blend modulate (IIRC) filter. Basically it darkens whatever is underneath, which is sufficient for dirt or stains.

It would be pretty straightforward to take an existing texture and make new shaders that blend our existing decals into it.

Had started to work on it, but the decals we had seemed to be all from D3 so I got sidetracked making new decals, and they look well..bad :laugh:

If some artist makes a small set of decent decals for walls, we can easily create "_dirty" versions of bricks, woods etc.

If some artist makes a small set of decent decals for walls, we can easily create "_dirty" versions of bricks, woods etc.

What's that? alpha channeled stains, basically?

I think in some instances decals work, when they are really superficial. Water streaming down on a surface is a good example, but anything more integrated, like mud or dirt, I believe should be diffused for best looks.

Badcog: I getcha, I'll make such variations once I'm done with the current wood set. If there is a specific texture you want variations to - tell me, or I'll either make a new one or pick-up an existing one. Btw, the greyscale is the hightmap initially laid out.

Looking at it now I think I over-did the normals, the geometry design is more suitable for actual map geometry than normals, it just doesn't hold too well. Will know better for next time!

wood_trio_edweb.JPG

wood_trio_vars_edweb.JPG

Download - wood_trio.incl.vars.WinAll.working-PARADiGM [updt. - 11/5]

Next I'll disassemble the parts for smaller trims as we talked.

Why would we make new ones when the D3 ones work perfectly well? (though there are at least a dozen ones in the our decal folder as well)

Updated the wood_trio set (scroll above) and the stone_tile_starpod (scroll really above, like top of page) with size variations (download links included). I wish to come up with more 'props' to go along, matching carpet / tapestry / etc.

I'll see to this and then take a rock texture and start adding the moss / mud / etc. variations. Actually I was tinkering with this earlier - mostly testing out some normals -- here's a really early WIP.

stone_bacrack_wip1.JPG

That rock texture looks awesome....and it's a wip??

Yes it was just thrown together ::

the cracks red underlight = kill

the cracks consistency = randomize (larger blocks, varied)

color adjustments

sharper normals

specmap

seams

will do it later

Here are a carpet and a painting I thought would go along with the wood_trio set. Does this work guys? any suggestions? other 'props' you think I should tag along?

wood_trio_props_edweb.JPG

Nice stuff. Where's that painting from?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.