The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Mapper Application

HappyCheeze

Hello everyone,

After learning the tools and reading tutorials, and receiving some valuable feedback on my work, I've now decided that I'd like to take the next step.

I'd like to apply for beta mapper status. Since its still summer I have lots of free time to work on this, when school starts back up in the fall I won't have the plethora of time I have now, but I'll still find time, I always do ;-D (Most my level design ideas usually come to me when I'm in class anyway ;-0) {Plus I go to a community college right now so my schedule is more flexible}

My portfolio is on my Deviantart account which you can check out here. The link takes you to pics of my latest work. Its some sort of a temple with some tech elements tossed in. It originally started off as something I hadn't intended it to be, but than I started putting down some trim and than I got carried away and I had something completely different. So still working on it of course, thats about 3 weeks worth of work, but theres also parts I'm not showing yet because they're unfinished/ugly placeholder textures.

If you look in my scraps you can check out my city level, but I hit a snag with the design for visportaling it, so I decided right now to just work on an indoor map.

Hope you like it ;-)

Edited by HappyCheeze

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

To get an application thread, please drop a PM to New Horizon to give him a heads up about this thread. He'll set up Applicant permissions for you.

I'll post the usual disclaimer here, from our internal start-up thread:

What do we expect from Beta Mappers?

Beta Mappers are considered Dark Mod pioneers. Not only we hope to see some cool maps from them, which might finally be released along with The Dark Mod, we also expect them to assist us during the development and pave the way for future mappers. This includes reporting bugs, trying to figure out things, sharing their experience/tips and ideally writing tutorials for future users. Beta Mappers are encouraged to make heavy use of our custom DarkRadiant Editor and to push its limits. Beta Mappers can create whatever maps they wish, although it would be nice if they fit the Dark Mod Universe Setting (see Wiki). Maps that infringe copyright, however (by using the IP of another company, like Eidos) cannot be distributed by The Dark Mod. Therefore we ask that beta-mappers refrain from making any references to Eidos' IP (your protagonist cannot be called Garrett, for example).

So, beta mapper status should not be seen as just a wild card to get the latest resources from us. Not only you get access to our SVN repository, you usually have the team's support when running into problems. We can't possibly expect you to return that favour, but we do hope you might help us getting the mod forward.

Many beta mappers have signed up in the past. Often it went like this: they ambitiously created their maps, posted the screenies, applied, became a beta mapper, got access to the resources, ran into the usual newbie problems, we helped them out, they finally got started and after a few weeks they vanished for good - all that was left was a couple of forum posts and lost developer time. Before applying, you should ask yourself: will I be one of them or not?

That might sound harsh - but don't get me wrong, that's not me trying to discourage you. But I wanted you to see the team's perspective too, to understand how things can be going.

That being said, be sure to drop New Horizon that PM and we'll see you in the Applicant's forum. :)

Greebo I understand your concern.

A few things have influenced me to keep going,

1.)I really like using the doom3 engine now

2.)The Thief games are one of my favorites of all time, thus making a modern thief themed style gameplay is really cool, and challenging.

3.)I've never done anything with a team before. You guys are great with the advice and critiques which is really encouraging and I'd like to start returning the favor.

And if you guys need me to help test things out, I gladly will. I like helping people and its only common sense to assist one another I think.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Well, off you go to your personal messenger then. :)

Just did :-D

Meanwhile, I think I'll be going to the bearpits tomorrow, you wanna come with?

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Well, how much are you paying? :P

Don't think I could pay you enough

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

hmm,

I wonder if my PM ability is broken or my browser is messed up. I tried sending New Horizon a PM and he hasn't gotten back to me yet,

Though hes probably really busy, but still, my mail thing won't show any of my sent messages, so I don't know for sure.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Greebo, New Horizon hasn't gotten back to me today.

I wonder if my PM is broke, I'll try sending you one to see if you get it/

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

HappyCheeze, I've sent you a PM, can you see this thread?

Yes Sir

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Well then, would you mind to assemble two or three of your best screenshots in here? Then the team can express their opinion, which won't take long I reckon. Regarding your "seriousness" of becoming a beta mapper, the situation is clear already. :)

Alrighty than.

This first shot shows the sancturary doors. They lead to a balcony from which the high priest can give his sermon from. This shot has a lot going on. You have the shadows on the doors and pillars, along with the corner pillars, the metal plating and the other trim.

Sancturary_Doors_Front_View_by_HappyCheeze.jpg

This next picture shows another front view, which is to the library. More wall plating experiements, just adding some variety and trying new things.

Stairway_front_by_HappyCheeze.jpg

And lastly, this shows more perspective, with flooring and pillars and a better view of whats sort of going on.

Center__floor_trim_experiement_by_HappyCheeze.jpg

I've got plenty more :-D

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

That red light is rather too intense and saturated IMO (something I've done before - see my crappy little Thief 3 mission, for example :) ) and I'm not sure quite where exactly such an eeeeevil temple with tech elements would fit into the Dark Mod universe... having said that, your work shows definite potential, and your enthusiasm and sticking-around-ness are undeniable, so you've got my vote too. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

That red light is rather too intense and saturated IMO (something I've done before - see my crappy little Thief 3 mission, for example :) ) and I'm not sure quite where exactly such an eeeeevil temple with tech elements would fit into the Dark Mod universe... having said that, your work shows definite potential, and your enthusiasm and sticking-around-ness are undeniable, so you've got my vote too. :)

I was more concentrating on the architecture, but yeah the red is a bit excessive.

That red light is rather too intense and saturated IMO (something I've done before - see my crappy little Thief 3 mission, for example

I actually like that kind of saturated light, provided it isn't used to excess. One of my comments on Komag's contribution to that contest was how the mission benefited from a judicious use of coloured lighting.

It's not something that I think would fit the TDM atmosphere very well, but it shows you know what you're doing with the editor. You have my vote.

So, this seems like a rather clear vote then. :)

Before we take you to the next level, we need to discuss our "Non-Disclosure-Agreement" about certain things we'd like to keep in private for now.

New Horizon, can you take care of this via PM?

You'll also want to read through the startup thread, which is in the Documentation forum, so this needs to wait until you got the correct forum permissions.