The Dark Mod Forums

Multi-cabinet container variations prefabs

Fidcal

This is what I've been working on and almost finished. The cabinets can be modified as shown to be a sideboard, writing bureau, dresser, kitchen cabinet etc and are a looters' paradise having loads of working drawers and cupboards - one a secret compartment. Moveables can be dropped into drawers or cupboards and they work much like RL. Sometimes frob is a bit hindered but mostly OK. All are shielded by frob blockers but that is mainly so the player can't frob through the back or side once a door or drawer is open. The primary frob protection is the target_set_frobable entity which removes frobbability on anything the player puts in a cupboard or drawer.

They are not as old-looking as I'd like but being brushwork they can be modified. Maybe someone can come up with better handles?

The writing bureau is virtually finished but needs more testing. The matching cabinet also. The others need the frob brushes re-doing. I've put up test/cabinets.map if anyone wants to try them out but remember its still wip. The player has a light if the ones at the back are in shadow.

post-400-1227731717_thumb.jpg

post-400-1227731774_thumb.jpg

post-400-1227731790_thumb.jpg

post-400-1227731811_thumb.jpg

post-400-1227731829_thumb.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very impressive! The top ones are a bit modern-looking, as you said, but I'm sure they'll fit in somewhere. :)

Oh DAMN nice :wub: :wub:

They would fit into my old mill (I think I used the same wood texture for my coat rack - and it also has doors - maybe it could also converted with frob_hinder etc?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I think they look pretty good.

You should post a pic in the TTLG DarkMod thread just to give peeps and idea of how versatile the editor really is. No way anything like that can be done in Dromed.

Would be good to show non-3d program people that they can whip things like this up in the editor.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think they look pretty good.

You should post a pic in the TTLG DarkMod thread just to give peeps and idea of how versatile the editor really is. No way anything like that can be done in Dromed.

Would be good to show non-3d program people that they can whip things like this up in the editor.

For reals man.

Thats one of the things I love about DR, is that you can make some sweet brushwork, and it can look pretty convincing.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

The model definitely looks nice. :) The first few images look a bit extremly new and clean (or maybe modern as Spring said), but the lower ones, sure look much better. :)

I am pretty sure we can either dirty them with decals, or even make a "dirty" version of that wood texture. (we probably should do both :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Checked them out in game, pretty cool :wub:

Some feedback:

* the drawers could open quite a bit faster. (I forgot to turn on sound, so sorry can't judge that)

* Some of the brushes should be turned into entities, so the f.i. horizontal brushes don't break up the vertical brushes into triangles, that creates a lot of excess triangles. Likewise the square feet on the "rough" cabinets divide the floor unnec.

Otherwise, very cool. I think I am gonna borrow these for my old mill :wub:

OK, found some images on the net for inspiration so hopefully can age the style of these cabinets somewhat - though it will be a challenge for a non-modeller. I'll look at the drawer speed too.

Do you have made prefabs, or should I just copy one of them from your map into my mill map and then dissect it to see how you did them? I wanted to add openable doors to the coat rack :)

I've only made a prefab of the desk so far and even that is not committed as I am still testing. Feel free to rip out anything from the map. Take care to check that all the doors still target the correct anti-frob zones and also, if you rotate, then best of luck because I'd expect problems with door rotates etc. I haven't thought yet how to handle that, maybe make 4 prefabs of each for the 4 directions to save every mapper having to figure it out. What I mean is, if it is a problem, then it is better for one person to do it once.

Have you restarted work on the old mill? I thought you had shelved it.

translate as well for the drawers. I think also the 'rotate around selection' (something like that) might need setting. I recall my manhole prefab got screwed up when i rotated it so the rotary control went skewed. This is where prefab comments will come in handy.

I've only made a prefab of the desk so far and even that is not committed as I am still testing. Feel free to rip out anything from the map. Take care to check that all the doors still target the correct anti-frob zones and also, if you rotate, then best of luck because I'd expect problems with door rotates etc. I haven't thought yet how to handle that, maybe make 4 prefabs of each for the 4 directions to save every mapper having to figure it out. What I mean is, if it is a problem, then it is better for one person to do it once.

Yeah, no problem, I don't want to disturb you :) Already noted the problems with rotating the doors, as well as cloning them. Also, not being able to resize func_statics is a real bother, because returning them to worldspawn makes them lose all spownargs, so after resizing a door you need to reattach them all. Ugh.

Also, in my test yesterday I deleted your door after importing it, but the link from the no_frob brush was still drawn in the editor to the no-longer-existing entity. Double ugh :)

Have you restarted work on the old mill? I thought you had shelved it.

You desk made me restart working on it :) I never shelved it, I just didn't have time/energy/desire to work on it :)

Anyway, I will just add a door to my coat rack, and then maybe we can add the coat rack to your prefab list/map. Also, when you are done, I'd like to insert one of your desks into the library. Likewise, I'd like to make a cupboard that holds the plates etc for the dinner hall.

As for the mill map: I wish somebody could do the outsides, I am so clumsy at mapping - it takes ages to realize what I visualize :(

translate as well for the drawers. I think also the 'rotate around selection' (something like that) might need setting. I recall my manhole prefab got screwed up when i rotated it so the rotary control went skewed. This is where prefab comments will come in handy.

I wonder why the rotation/translation spawnargs are not relative to the origin/orientation of the brush, but instead are absolutely in world coordinates? That would solve the problem.

Edit: What ishtvan said makes sense, DR should just update the values.

* Some of the brushes should be turned into entities, so the f.i. horizontal brushes don't break up the vertical brushes into triangles, that creates a lot of excess triangles. Likewise the square feet on the "rough" cabinets divide the floor unnec.

Dividing the cabinet into several entities won't make rendering faster, if that's what you're aiming for. The engine is rendering per light, per entity and per shader, so splitting this up into separate entities will only cause additional renderpasses and eat up any performance gained by saving ten or twelve triangles.

Dividing the cabinet into several entities won't make rendering faster, if that's what you're aiming for. The engine is rendering per light, per entity and per shader, so splitting this up into separate entities will only cause additional renderpasses and eat up any performance gained by saving ten or twelve triangles.

My card doesn't have a problem with a few hundred more renderpasses :) My experiements back with the Old Mill map showed that convering 5 beam studs coming out of a wall into an entity made performance better, despite this saving only a few triangles and adding one entitiy.

Also note that currently the desk is _not_ an entity (only the openable doors are) - it is world spawn, hence it causes f.i. the floor to be divided into triangles, which slows down collision checks.

In any event, I am more bothered by the excessive triangales on very long thin faces showing up on my card as "pixelmess", where the pixels flicker along the triangle border. (They should be invisible, but I guess thin 1 pixel wide triangles cause a problem somehow).

So what I am trying to say is that *moderate* turning worldspawn into entities helps. Making every brush its own entity is of course not a good idea :)

Maybe some modeller can make an "empty" model with hollow places, so we can just attach the doors and add the no_frob brushes?

Keep doing a bit but struggling with this. You can see the way it's headed but I'm not happy with the texture. I also tried different handles but found it too difficult with patches other than the round knobs I've already got. Though I shall reduce the size of those a little. I tried a carved skirt round the base but it was rubbish. I'll replace the legs with rounded ones but I'm just spending too much time on this.

post-400-1228250624_thumb.jpg

post-400-1228250654_thumb.jpg

Keep doing a bit but struggling with this. You can see the way it's headed but I'm not happy with the texture. I also tried different handles but found it too difficult with patches other than the round knobs I've already got. Though I shall reduce the size of those a little. I tried a carved skirt round the base but it was rubbish. I'll replace the legs with rounded ones but I'm just spending too much time on this.

Shaping up damn nicely :wub: Try "bend pipes" with a dark metal texture as handles, with a "metal base plate" under them.

The dark wood looks really flat, matt. I'm trying to get a polished wood effect but with mixed success. I'm using a specular 256 x 256 plain grey so should be no tiling problem. You can see parts of the surfaces shine effectively but there is some kind of tiling artifact. I tried a specular the same size as the wood panel but I don't think that even loaded.

post-400-1228293100_thumb.jpg post-400-1228293109_thumb.jpg