The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Invisible Menu Screen

scarykitties

When I start TDM, I can hear a music box ticking and playing and, when I move my cursor around, I can hear it clicking over buttons as it scrolls over them, but I can't see the menu screen, although I can see my cursor-it all looks completely black. The console works, as it's the only way I can quit, but the menu screen itself doesn't show at all.

Edited by scarykitties

When I start TDM, I can hear a music box ticking and playing and, when I move my cursor around, I can hear it clicking over buttons as it scrolls over them, but I can't see the menu screen, although I can see my cursor-it all looks completely black. The console works, as it's the only way I can quit, but the menu screen itself doesn't show at all.

Nevermind. I was an idiot and overwrote the darkmod's doomconfig with doom 3's doomconfig. I copied over the original and all is well again.

EDIT: Scratch that. It looks like Doom 3 is automatically replacing the 7-some kb darkmod Doomconfig file with Doom 3\base's 10-some kb Doom 3 Doomconfig file (causing the above menu problems).

How can I keep the Doomconfig editable for Darkmod (that is, non-read only), yet keep it from being overwritten?

Edited by scarykitties

Nevermind. I was an idiot and overwrote the darkmod's doomconfig with doom 3's doomconfig. I copied over the original and all is well again.

EDIT: Scratch that. It looks like Doom 3 is automatically replacing the 7-some kb darkmod Doomconfig file with Doom 3\base's 10-some kb Doom 3 Doomconfig file (causing the above menu problems).

How can I keep the Doomconfig editable for Darkmod (that is, non-read only), yet keep it from being overwritten?

same problem for me...

but i dont think that doom3 is replacing the dm-cfg... cause the darkmod folder is READ-ONLY on my sys.

after downloading and extracting the "newest" tdm file from moddb ("2009_10_18_thedarkmod_v1.0_beta.zip") into my doom3 directory (D:\doom3), i start the "tdmlauncher.exe"... all i get is a black screen and a mouse button (the normal d3 mousebutton, not the tdm one).

i can hear sounds and melodies (even the "click" sounds when moving over buttons - as it seems) but nothing more will happen...

tried anything, but can just quit via "alt+f4" or console. in console there are some red errors, that the game couldn't load the background images and stuff. some screens are below..

xroavfrt.jpg

me9vpqbx.jpg

system:

vista home premium 64,

4 gig ram,

8800 gtx (using driver 86.18 cause newer ones got problems with some older games i still play)

don't have any problems with other mods for d3 or the original game...

PLEASE HELP!!! wanna play (waited for YEARS, and just got d3 because of your mod)

thx.

edit: i checked your FAQ and other forums, no help.

Edited by darkmob

any mod here with HELP?!:o:(

Your tree structure might not be right, it seems to be finding some resources but not others.. have you tried clearing out all the DM assets and reinstalling them?

When I installed, I used the suggested C:\games\doom3

If you're installing D3 from disk, I suggest you try that, there's less to go wrong.

I'm no menu expert, I hope you can get it fixed. When you say you've check our FAQ, is it this one?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

There are a few people having that problem, but they usually report fixing it by copying over the doomcfg file. Hmmm...

Your tree structure might not be right, it seems to be finding some resources but not others.. have you tried clearing out all the DM assets and reinstalling them?

When I installed, I used the suggested C:\games\doom3

If you're installing D3 from disk, I suggest you try that, there's less to go wrong.

first of all: thanks for the answer edit: answers :)

but in my eyes, it couldn't be that i've to reinstall everything, just because i choosed d instead of c without the folder "games" <_<

i've had the 2 "demo"-versions of the DM installed before and just erased the folders of them - i just got the "st. lucia" folder left and erased it before extracting the new one... could it be, that there are still files from the other 2 demos??? if there are some - how can i find them?

i'll try the cfg thing you linked from the FAQ - but i dont see any ingame graphics at all... i couldn't even start a game - its the menu thats black... saw the screens? :huh:

Edited by darkmob

Can you show us the contents of your doom3 and darkmod folders?

shure, 1 sec... i'll edit this post.

ucg5oh2p.jpg

yo4jh63k.jpg

edit2: i just looked at the FAQ-entry you posted before ... and looked at this "texture missing & blackscreen" bug cfg-entrys (even if i don't think that this is my problem at all) and changed it:

7yoffrmf.jpg

after starting the game... still same problem. blackscreen with mousekey and sounds and errors in the console.

after gettin back to desk, i looked at the cfg again... and the command "seta image_useprecompressedtextures "1"" jumped to "0" again.. :huh:

than i tryed it again, but made the cfg file "READ ONLY"... still same problem: blackscreen, mousekey and sounds + errors in console (but now console also written: "couldn't write cfg" :D

so, nope... FAQ entry about missing or black textures won't help.

Edited by darkmob

The folders seem to be correct.

Can you confirm that your PK4 files are intact? You can check by running tdm_update.exe - it will compare all the checksums and will re-download every broken archive.

Apart from that, I can only guess it's up to DoomConfig.cfg and/or video driver settings. You said you cannot use newer drivers, but it could be worth a try, just to narrow down the cause.

Can you confirm that your PK4 files are intact? You can check by running tdm_update.exe - it will compare all the checksums and will re-download every broken archive.

Apart from that, I can only guess it's up to DoomConfig.cfg and/or video driver settings. You said you cannot use newer drivers, but it could be worth a try, just to narrow down the cause.

I had this problem multiple times.

Fixed it by deleting my doomconfig and re updating.

yes - i can confirm that all files are "correct" ... after reading, that the updater scans the cfg's and sayes "is there, skipping", so i copy+pasted it - than erased it and restarted the update-file... then he downloaded a new cfg-file - BUT, my old one was something about 10,4 kb... the new one is about 7 kb ?! :blink:

i didnt changed anything to the old or new one, how can that be?

to cut a long story short: still not working, same blackscreen. :(

tryed to give the "darkmod" folder rights to get rewritten and changed it to "only read" - no changes...

what did you mean, with replacing the doomcfg? what should i replace exactly? should i copy the one from my doom3 folder into the "darkmod" folder ?

what did you mean, with replacing the doomcfg?[/b] what should i replace exactly? should i copy the one from my doom3 folder into the "darkmod" folder ?

I just looked, and I do NOT have a DoomConfig.cfg file in either my .doom3/ folder (my local doom settings folder under linux) nor under /games/doom3 (where doom is installed).

Could it be that when D3 sees a config file in its base directory, it copies it to the darkmod directory, overwriting the TDM file?

Can you please rename the doomconfig.cfg file in your doom3 folder, delete the DoomConfig.cfg file in the darkmod folder, then re-run tdm_updater to let it restore the right config, and then try again?

Hopefully that help!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

ucg5oh2p.jpg

as you could see, me either...

to be more correct: i wrote wrong stuff in my last posting... :blush:

i got a doomconfig.cfg in base and every mod folder but not in \doom3 - sorry my fault.

BUT i think something is replacing my cfg in the "darkmod" folder...

after starting the .exe ->

i see the blackscreen, the mousekey and hear stuff, as seen in the screens i posted above->

i quit ->

than the cfg inside the "darkmod" folder is something about 10,4 kb. i erase it, start the updater again. ->

now the new generated cfg is 7,31 kb. if i start the game again.. ->

same situation, blackscreen and mousekey + sounds but not more... but after quiting ->

cfg is 10,4 kb again.:wacko:

I TRYED IT THE WHOLE FUC*** DAY... i just pakc and leave i think... sad to say that it will not work for me. :(

What graphics card do you have? Is it ATI? If it is, try disabling the catalyst software.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

What graphics card do you have? Is it ATI? If it is, try disabling the catalyst software.

system:

vista home premium 64,

4 gig ram,

8800 gtx (using driver 86.18 cause newer ones got problems with some older games i still play)

don't have any problems with other mods for d3 or the original game...

PLEASE HELP!!! wanna play (waited for YEARS, and just got d3 because of your mod)

thx.

edit: i checked your FAQ and other forums, no help.

as you could see geforce... :(

oh, stupid me :(

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Don't know if this will help, but someone with a similar-sounding problem posted this:

I SOLVED my blackness problems,

in my case it was the following 2 lines in DoomConfig.cfg:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "1"

( I set them both from 0 to 1 ) and then I put the file read-only.

Everything looks perfect!

Don't know if this will help, but someone with a similar-sounding problem posted this:

thanks, but that would help if it would be ingame related problems i guess... i tryed it anyway but: no luck... -_-

i don't even get this far to see any graphic bugs like black walls or white models without textures or somethin' like that...

and that shatter the nerves right now. i start the mod and its just that f*** up black screen with music in the back and loading errors in console.

i mean, as you could see in the screenshots above (first postings up this thread) the console is reporting, that the game is unable to load everything - except the menu-theme and button sounds as it seems :(

it's not the driver, cause i could play EVERY F**** mod for doom3 i tryed (4 or 5 mods..) and the game itself with good frames, everything high and no graphic errors or bugs. so. i dunno. can't stand it anymore. i tryed the whole f*** day to start it. still no luck. thats just depressing.

edit: i even downloaded the WHOLE mod again, via update.exe - STILL NOT WORKING. :o:(

Edited by darkmob

The Dark Mod probably makes more changes to Doom 3's graphics than most mods, so updating your driver is probably worth a try.

As a workaround, if this affects only the menu then you might be able to play some maps via the console, but as you can't see to install the FMs you'd have to install them manually, which is a pain and pretty error-prone.

Other than that I don't know what to suggest. It could still be a config issue. You don't have standard Doom 3's graphics quality set to Ultra mode by any chance?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

1. The Dark Mod probably makes more changes to Doom 3's graphics than most mods, so updating your driver is probably worth a try.

2. As a workaround, if this affects only the menu then you might be able to play some maps via the console, but as you can't see to install the FMs you'd have to install them manually, which is a pain and pretty error-prone.

3. Other than that I don't know what to suggest. It could still be a config issue. You don't have standard Doom 3's graphics quality set to Ultra mode by any chance?

to 1: yeah i know... but dof-mod, 3mood+parallax+brilliant mod and new and better textures + a ultra high quality cfg don't look and feal like normal doom3 ;)

but i dont have any of these mods installed in base... they are all in mod-folders, with their own cfgs and stuff :mellow: only the normal base cfg is edited - but the mod SHOULD use its own - or am i wrong here? :blink:

to 2: no alternative way for me - sounds like even more problems *sigh* :huh:

to 3: i do believe its just a strange cfg bug, but i tried everything... dunno what else to try.

i guess i gotta reinstall doom3 sometime to try this mod. but now i gotta sleep - one day trying to solve problems like this without gettin it work is enough. ;) thanks anyway *sigh* :(

Edited by darkmob

These are the files added or replaced by the Extreme Quality Mod (3mood+parallax+brilliant):

base -

config.spec -- replaced

game00.pk4 -- replaced

binary.conf -- replaced

gamex86.dll -- replaced

glprogs -

afxadd.vfp -- added

afxblurb.vfp -- added

afxweight.vfp -- added

interaction.vfp -- replaced (original is 5.9KB, new is 4.9KB)

materials -

AFX.mtr -- added

pak3Parallax.pk4 -- added (includes another interaction.vfp (3.3KB) a lot of new or modified Textures)

EDIT > I tried to install this mod (Vista 32bit) but must not have done it correctly. TDM still worked properly, but Doom 3 had no lights. Still, I suggest installing a second instance of Doom 3, patching to 1.3.1.1304, and installing darkmod there. Keep your original install for your other games/mods.

Oh, wow... that's a lot of important files being replaced! That could be it. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.