The Dark Mod Forums

From where did you first learn about TDM?

Sotha

From where did you first learn about TDM / What or who got you first interested in TDM  

36 members have voted

1. 1. From where did you first learn about TDM / What or who got you first interested in TDM

• TTLG
    • Moddb
    • Thief: The Circle
    • A friend
    • I was googling around and happened to found it
    • Other, please post what or where

I've been a Thief fan ever since TDP came out, but I only learnt of TTLG and FMs last year (not much of a net wanderer) - and I happened to read about TDM there, too. At first I didn't have a machine capable of handling it, but I got one to work soon with a little tweaking wub.gif And now I can't get enough!

And thanks, Sotha, for not holding out your latest mission for the 1.03 TDM release! smile.gif And this should be an interesting poll...

I definitely got in through google. At the time i was playing TDS around 2006 or something, and was probably searching for patches or a no-cd crack and stumbled on it.

Funny thing, now that I bring back the memories, I didn't like that the mod was pretty much unreleased at the time, and I didn't bother to check out the forums because there were hardly ever any news updates on the TDM front page.

I figured that meant that it was either abandoned, or progress was going reeeeeeeal slow, and instead of checking the forums and/or joining the community, I decided to just keep checking the front page on and off every 3-6 months. Took me until when i checked back in feb this year to decide the mod was "worth my time". In retrospect, I really wish I got in a couple years earlier, but the news updates on the front page were always really far apart, and didn't seem like major updates, so I decided not to "waste my time" and check out the forums. If i knew how active and dedicated the community was (and still is) years ago, I would of joined. You just gotta let people know that TDM is active.

Funny thing, now that I bring back the memories, I didn't like that the mod was pretty much unreleased at the time, and I didn't bother to check out the forums because there were hardly ever any news updates on the TDM front page.

I figured that meant that it was either abandoned, or progress was going reeeeeeeal slow, and instead of checking the forums and/or joining the community, I decided to just keep checking the front page on and off every 3-6 months.

You just gotta let people know that TDM is active.

I have to admit that I did the same for some time before I got in the forums and got hooked.

Yeah, it would be really beneficial to update the main page more often. Would it be too much if all the content nbohr puts in moddb would be also put in the darkmod.com news? It would definately show that TDM is alive and healthy.

And thanks, Sotha, for not holding out your latest mission for the 1.03 TDM release! smile.gif

You're welcome! I didn't see your votes in the FM thread yet, interesting to know whether you like the mission or not... ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

You're welcome! I didn't see your votes in the FM thread yet, interesting to know whether you like the mission or not... wink.gif

Haven't finished it yet, but thus far it's been excellent quality, as I've come to expect from you. cool.gif

I first read about it on TTLG forever ago. I checked out the TDM site a few times throughout the years, but never ventured into the forums. When it was released late last year, I became much more interested in the mod, playing all of the FMs and enjoying them. I finally decided to join the forums to discuss FMs and the mod in general earlier this year.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I'm pretty sure I found out about this one on moddb. It was either that or a slashdot story about some game that had a forum post with a link to the mod's early site. All I remember is that there was this site that seemed to only have concept art but I was excited about the possibility of it. It would be cool if there was an archive of the site so I could figure out when and what I saw back then (so fuzzy)...

I couldn't get the original "Thief's Den" demo to install for some reason (probably missing the Devil.DLL) but when Saint Lucia hit I was thrilled.

Then I had a lapse in PC gaming and returned to find that 1.01 was released with several FM's! :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I was aware of TDM because of TTLG, but never really followed it assuming it would probably end up being abandoned like most ambitious fan efforts. unsure.gif I started following more closely once I saw the first teaser trailer though, which showed how much work had already been put in by that stage, and more importantly showed how good 'Thief' could look in the Doom engine. wub.gif

Edited by Midnight

The mod i've been working on for Morrowind was closed and after i sobered from the pain of closure i wanted to find something to work on so.

At the time i was playing thief3 , then got interested in thief1-2 and realized how much better they were, so i searched if there was a thief or sneak themed mod or tc going on and there was one.. and it also advertised itself as bigger fan of older the titles.. so that was TDM.

// btw i think why this mod successfully made it this far is because of the cleverly and early laid down goals,desing documentations, and also the well thought-out, long therm thinking forum/svn/wiki infrastructure that surrounds the whole thing.It all utilises the (also great)team very well. Just wrote this because i remembered how shocked i was at how well coordinated tdm was when i first saw it in work //

Edited by _Atti_