Menu Screens

55 replies to this topic

#1 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:33 PM

Here is a mock-up of our main menu and options menu screens.

Obviously the background is a placeholder. I'm envisioning something similar with our engine, with a small animation of the street signs creaking in the wind. Possibly with people milling about if possible, although we're not sure if that's doable.

This version is for Napalm to use in the meantime if he's still doing the menu GUIs.

Large Version
Posted Image

Large Version
Posted Image
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#2 Napalm

Napalm

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

YAY!!!! I love you!!!!!Now I have something to work towards

#3 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

That's some gorgeous work Spring. I like how it has style but is subtle at the same time. Great work.

#4 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

"Sleek" seems to fit. :)

#5 Napalm

Napalm

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

I'll get all the menus setup around this design in the next few weeks, I'll have plenty of time so it will work out great :)

#6 Darkness_Falls

Darkness_Falls

Concept Artist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2558 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

As far as something happening in the background, I was actually picturing that guard in the background walking up to the foreground...then maybe looking around a bit... standing there shifting his weight from leg to leg, or checking out or his sword, then heading back to the background and around the corner. Just something subtle. Maybe have some civilians make an appearance every now and then, too... and other guards, etc. But not revealing too much, of course. Maybe some stars twinkling above in that night sky and a "1 in 100" chance of a shooting star happening.

* Slight wind blowing sounds, rocking that sign as you say...

* Faint town sounds -- maybe an inn or a pub around the corner with muffled conversation or music...

* The crackling of a torch on the wall...

Sounds inviting.

#7 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:18 PM

I'll get all the menus setup around this design in the next few weeks, I'll have plenty of time so it will work out great

Sounds good. Let me know when you need the graphics files...I have them all saved at 1280x1024 with the buttons on separate layers for easy access.

The "New Mission" menu will be a different design than this one so don't worry about that yet. Just stick to the main menu and the options menus for now. I'll get you the Load/Save menu and Purchase Screen in a bit.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#8 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:02 AM

It's very minimalist, kind of a cross between T2 and T3. I like it.

#9 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:24 AM

Looks absolutely cool! Great work! :)
Gerhard

#10 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:03 AM

Just noticed this. Is this screenshot in the back a scene from T3? :blink:
Gerhard

#11 Subjective Effect

Subjective Effect

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:19 AM

Yes it is sparhawk.

Might I suggest the addition of 1 piece of magic, machinery and some plant matter (moss or vines) on or around the menu. Very subtle but just there to reparaZent.
I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

#12 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:29 AM

Is it really a good idea to use a T3 screenshot out of all images? IMO we should use our own. Or is this just a placeholder?
Gerhard

#13 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13902 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:12 AM

Is it really a good idea to use a T3 screenshot out of all images? IMO we should use our own. Or is this just a placeholder?

:lol: Placeholder sir.

#14 Domarius

Domarius

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:21 AM

Yeah spring said it was a place holder. That's the view you get after coming through one of the loading zones in the city, but I can't remember which suburb it is called.

#15 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:21 AM

I knew someone was going to skip that part. :)

#16 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:29 AM

Lovely, saw them before, but why T3 in the background now?

#17 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

It's more representative of what I'd like to see in the background. The only city map we have is our old Citytest, which was never meant to be nice to look at. Once we get a good supply of city textures and models someone can come up with a good city map in our engine, which I'm sure will look far better than the T3 one.

#18 Fingernail

Fingernail

Mod Founder

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3210 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

OK, just seemed to me that since neither would have been final, better have our own placeholder rather than use T3. But it's not something that's even worth discussing, so I'll stop here.

#19 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

I knew someone was going to skip that part. :)

The menu was so stunning to look at that I totally missed the reading. :)
Gerhard

#20 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:00 PM

It looks lie the Morrowind UI to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a little more distinctive individuality would be preferable.
Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#21 god_is_my_goldfish

god_is_my_goldfish

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

I like it, it's pretty simplistic and not overbloated like t3's was.
http://www.thirdfilms. com
A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QpCej-ZIQeg

#22 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

I've never even seen Morrowind, so I'd be really surprised if it were that similar.

#23 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

in structure..yes it looks like mw-s menu.
i like it by the way..nice and simple

#24 Subjective Effect

Subjective Effect

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

Yup, pretty similar.
I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

#25 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37752 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

Judging from what I've seen by scouting around the web, the main similarity seems to be that both menus use square boxes and the colour brown. I highly doubt anyone is going to think one is derivative of the other. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users