The Dark Mod Forums

3DS Max Friendly version of the Open Motion Capture Library!

nbohr1more

This is definitely an improvement. The upper part of the torso looks a lot more natural now (though it still looks like they're leaning/twisted to their left a bit). But the actual step length still seems too short. The walk reminds me of someone wearing uncomfortable underwear that is chafing them with each step. It may not be the step length, actually. I'm still trying to pin down what is causing that effect. Might have something to do with how long their foot is in contact with the ground.

I've watched the original and this animation a few times now and I feel that your

version is clearly superior now.

The original animations have this strange sneaky slink to them as if the guards

are trying to avoid suspicion like the player. They might still be good for situations

where guards are sneaking around alone investigating the area around a corpse

or near a haunted area.

Your new animations exude much more confidence.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Lookin' good.

One of the Guards with the blue tunic looks like he's leaning back a little too far.

Side note:

Now that I see it more clearly, it surely must be apparent that the alerted guard with

his rigidly held sword is a bit wrong looking. There should be an animation that makes the

sword point\lean slightly towards the direction he's turning to (not that you have anything

to do with that... yet?) .

Yeah, short of setting-up some code support for that, it might be possible to automate the sword lean

in code too. I presume that both changes might need to happen as there would be cases where a full

turning animation would also look wrong. ... Ahem, Grayman? :)

For what it's worth, I think that last video is very, very nice.

It's nice and loose, it doesn't have any overly characteristic pullouts (like that slight limp in the older version) and it looks very effortless, like a walkcycle should. :)

Awesome work, Arcturus! :D

It looks better from the front, but I'd need to compare it to the original in game. Can you upload it as walk_wip or something?

Sorry, man, but it look s a bit as if they're walking on their heels. I can't quite put the finger on what the problem really is. Maybe the shoulders should be rolling a little more (and with them the upper torso)? Maybe the knees should be bent a little more? I'm not an expert, and if your say that the result just won't get better, then I'm fine with it. It's just my two cents.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• 4 weeks later...

The upper torso looks more natural, but I can't shake the feeling that the stride length is still too short. It has something to do with the way the leg moves when it's straight out, about to take the weight of the body. It makes it look like the guard is intentionally not stepping forward as far as he could.

• 5 months later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-Bez-0pNI&feature=youtu.beEDIT:

There are some funky stuff going on. I think some of it may be because of the lens distortion. Also markers are limiting movements, they are easily obscured by hands and other markers. Tracking markers took couple of hours and was rather tedious, but doing realistic animation with keyframes takes time too. Generaly I think that object tracking is great, but not usable for a full body motion capture.

It's only a model...