The Dark Mod Forums

Since 1.08, certain textures are screwed up.

PranQster

Namely the water surface textures, the nice sunset sky, some doors and the silver/pewter beer stein, to name a few.

It seems to be some of the textures which have translucency.

Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

post-3285-0-85782100-1354509846_thumb.jpg

I have a river in this shot, but it looks like a dry river bed since the water surface is not rendering. Also see how the sky is screwed up. That is the sky which normally renders deep blue with the orange and red sunset.

I some maps, certain doors have a black or blue bar of color near the bottom along with the grey looking mesh, seen in the sky in the above screenshot.

I know it is not the graphics driver fault because I was using the same driver a few months ago, before TDM 1.08, and all rendered perfectly. These rendering glitches started with TDM 1.08.

Linux NVIDIA Driver Version: 295.71

Does anybody know what's wrong and how to fix it?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Try deleting your Darkmod.cfg and downloading a new one via the updater. Also there's a command to force the cooked math to refresh that AluminumHaste mentioned in one of the 1.08 threads.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I do have some similiar issues, some bed textures have blue/red stripes on them. This only happenes with v1.08, I can post a screenshot, if nec. (Linux here, too)

• Like 2

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Cant say that I did extensive linux testing, though there did not seem to be any issue. I've never seen a problem that looks similar... very odd.

That driver is fairly old, could you try updating it?

I was running the latest as of 3 days ago (when I reverted to Mageia 2 from Mageia 3a "Cauldron")

I even compiled it from scratch with the nvidia.com driver.

When this started happening was when I updated to 1.08, the vid driver did not change at that time. It since has been updated but the problem persists. So I reinstalled with this year's official Mageia release. Though that fixed other issues I needed fixing (running DR as well as playing my purchased movies on amazon).

Edited by PranQster

Try deleting your Darkmod.cfg and downloading a new one via the updater. Also there's a command to force the cooked math to refresh that AluminumHaste mentioned in one of the 1.08 threads.

Ok I'll try that. The only custom lines I need in there are for my sound card/alsa to behave nicely side by side with pulseaudio, and to fix the mouse3/mouse4 button issue.

Holy crap! I should have tried that months ago!

Though the sky is still screwed up (possibly some of the doors too, I'll check in a minute), water is rendering properly again and performance is through the frakking roof!*

I'm going to play with the advanced graphics options and see if I can break it again, after backing up this cfg.

As for the sky in my map, I'm going to try re-building the skybox to see if that helps.

*FPS was as low as 15 in a properly sealed inn/bar with just a few AI, 2 with RIP paths, each with just 3 destinations in the same room.

The FPS in that same spot now was over 40 and the rest of the room was well beyond 60

Thank you nb!

post-3285-0-97920900-1354599870_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

I was gonna say try:

tdm_updateCookedMathData 1

but since Tels has the problem, I presume that's been tried...

I haven't, so I might try it, but "In the North" had what looked a lot more like texture corruption than bad cooked data - isn't the data cooked again at the start of each TDM session, anyway?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Thats what I thought too... but when I upgraded to 1.08 my graphics were loaded with artifacts. Betrayal was unplayable with flickering AI and random polys floating around. AluminumHaste mentioned running that command in another thread so I gave it a shot and (voila) everything was looking perfect.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@PranQster - 295 is a fairly old driver, most distros/OS are using 310 for bleeding edge, 304 for stable(also has legacy). So yeah - might want to grab at least 304 for testing this - http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html etc. 310 also fixes a few bugs with video colour spaces, which is always nice.

And it's reasons like this that I said the cfg's from 1.07 shouldn't be used for 1.08 - Since it saves out a lot of engine internal configs which were changed to work, or certain paths work more efficiently.

Rather move custom mouse stuff to an autoexec or something, donno about sound - but that'll hopefully be all changed and fixed for 1.09, when OpenAL will be used everywhere (and from there, OSS / ALSA / JACK etc, as needed - since it knows better, or is more often hacked to work nicely on crap distros).

I'd be interested in which beds cause issues. Could be an issue with strange DDS headers, seem to remember one of the bed ones being funny.

Here are two screenshots. cookedMath does not help (or at least not in the mission, have not tried restarting it as it loads forever)

post-144-0-66956800-1354652827_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-74806400-1354652843_thumb.jpg

The color is sometimes bluish, sometimes reddish for me, but it stays the same once your are in the mission. The rest of the texture is also overlayed with some faint stripe pattern.

That's an old problem, it's fixed on windows - it's to do with the way we're abusing libjpeg.

Not too hard to fix, but I think it would be better to actually stop fighting against the lib and rather use it correctly. If you could make a tracker entry and assign it to me - I'd appreciate it. Don't have my cookie to log me in, don't really feel like resetting it either.

Nope, it's just the way jpegs are mis-handled atm. Greebo updated the jpeg includes, which had a slight difference to the old id ones, so things get a bit strange. Swapping the texture to tga would fix it, but it wont solve the problem. There are a few different approaches which could be taken, but I guess just put in a small hack like the windows fix for now.

Pardon for my intrusion and OTing, but...

Why can't skyboxes be dds? This info is relevant to me since I'm planning to do a lot of skybox work in the near future and recent memory consumption issues have been troubling me.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Nope, it's just the way jpegs are mis-handled atm. Greebo updated the jpeg includes, which had a slight difference to the old id ones, so things get a bit strange. Swapping the texture to tga would fix it, but it wont solve the problem. There are a few different approaches which could be taken, but I guess just put in a small hack like the windows fix for now.

I'd rather have this fixed on both Windows and Linux, for good. F.i. screenshots in JPG format still crash on Linux, too. All seem to be the same underlying problem with the libjpg misuse/abuse/whatever.

Tracked the new issue under:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=3267

and re-opened

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=3002

I'd rather have this fixed on both Windows and Linux, for good. F.i. screenshots in JPG format still crash on Linux, too. All seem to be the same underlying problem with the libjpg misuse/abuse/whatever.

I remember that .jpg screenshot crash. I've been using .png for so long that I'd forgotten all about that.

I posted somewhere else a wile ago that I noticed this issue too The doors in the watch station in St. Alban's Cathedral had some corruption on the bottom. That was in Linux. I suppose I should check on this laptop with Windows...

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

To update my original complaint for those who haven't read all of the previous posts:

The water texture was fixed, along with performance issues by deleting Darkmod.cfg and allowing the updater to replace it. I just needed to paste my keybinds back in from my old cfg.

The issues with libjpeg still affects several textures, mostly wood used on some doors, beds and shelves. The sunset sky is also still rendered like in my screenshot above.

Other than that I have no issues yet with either TDM 1.08 or DR 1.7.2.