1089 replies to this topic

#776 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9508 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Using same settings as previous version 2.06 no changes, but there was a few additions to some settings that did not exist in previous versions so ill try toying a bit with the settings on them.

Do you have glprogs and assets from SVN?

The VBO beta package has some newer shaders from SVN but Duzenko just did some optimizations that require new glprogs
in the latest build.

Note: I will remark that the ambient light in GLSL does look a little different than the ARB one.
It was decided that the "light originating from the player's eyes" approach to fake reflective lighting
was not the best way to do things so the GLSL ambient has the light coming down from the sky so there is
at least some plausible physical explanation for the directionality (outdoor moonlight).

Note 2: The current SVN doesn't use native gamma control and instead does gamma correction in software
via adjusting the ambient world lighting. If your monitor has any issue with independently adjusting
gamma vs brightness, you may see that the SVN version gives you more control of those attributes independently.
  • duzenko likes this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#777 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

nope seems they are located somewhere else on the svn, ill take a stroll to see whats there :)

#778 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

The lighting should not be any darker than previous versions, if it is then that sounds like a bug or your ingame menu settings changed.

Hello guys. 

Hey revelator glad to see you here again!

TDM is also very dark for me, looks like the ambient light is missing or something, i'm also having the water bug on Volta 2 again, i'm playing on a new PC as well.

Ryzen 7 1800x  8c/16t  3.6Ghz

16GB RAM

AMD RX 570 8GB

p.s I'm playing with TDM 2.06 VBO and FFMPEG Beta (update 9) 

Edited by HMart, 25 July 2018 - 07:21 PM.

#779 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9508 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:31 AM

Hmm.

Please invoke reloadGLSLprograms in the console then post the results for condump ambientmess.txt

#780 duzenko

duzenko

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:53 AM

Try higher r_gamma

#781 lowenz

lowenz

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2061 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:28 AM

About FBO :D

https://www.phoronix...multisample_adv

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#782 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

Sorry took a while, had some slight problems accessing the svn server which only got fixed very late yesterday.

Since i live in denmark my timezone might be different, to most people here ;) so i was up until 1 am yesterday.

Cranked up gamma through the roof but it was not enough to actually get the same light as in 2.06 but it made it atleast possible to navigate.

Water looks better in 2.07 so thats an improvement :) i found it a bit unrealistic before because it would have this weird looking 16 bit lookalike mirror effect,

now it's darkly transparent and the mirror effect seems to have been toned down some.

Might indeed be some problem with ambient lights, so i copied of the shaders from 2.07 and tried with those and it helped a bit, but it was still darker than 2.06.

Not sure if i need any material defs to go along with the new shaders ? your project is freaking huge :D so it might take me a while to find my way around.

#783 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Hello guys. 

Hey revelator glad to see you here again!

TDM is also very dark for me, looks like the ambient light is missing or something, i'm also having the water bug on Volta 2 again, i'm playing on a new PC as well.

Ryzen 7 1800x  8c/16t  3.6Ghz

16GB RAM

AMD RX 570 8GB

p.s I'm playing with TDM 2.06 VBO and FFMPEG Beta (update 9) 

Hey HMart, thanks :) yeah its good to be back on my feet again, the last few years was a pita for me litterally :laugh: since i had broken that particular part.

• HMart likes this

#784 duzenko

duzenko

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

As @NB has pointed out above, use both code and assets from trunk SVN.

#785 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:21 AM

Hmm.

Please invoke reloadGLSLprograms in the console then post the results for condump ambientmess.txt

Spoiler

Here you go m8 :)

#786 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

As @NB has pointed out above, use both code and assets from trunk SVN.

Ah slipped that one, sorry.

Retesting with the assets from trunk :)

#787 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

Yep somewhat better, still a bit darker but cranking up gamma a bit alleviates that :)

#788 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

Hmm.

Try higher r_gamma

Solved the problem somewhat by resetting the color/gama on radeon settings, is still darker than i remember but at least i can see into the shadows now, they were pitch black before. Btw i invoke reloadGLSLprograms like you said but sorry for my ignorance, where is the ambientmess.txt file located? :P

water bug is still happening to me in Volta 2 tho, the water surface distortion effect is gone and i just see a mirror texture moving back and forward. 

Hey HMart, thanks :) yeah its good to be back on my feet again, the last few years was a pita for me litterally :laugh: since i had broken that particular part.

Glad your back and your back is better! ;D

Yep somewhat better, still a bit darker but cranking up gamma a bit alleviates that :)

Yes the same for me. 

Edited by HMart, 26 July 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#789 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9508 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

The file should get created in your darkmod directory.

#790 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

need to write condump ambientmess.txt in the console after reloadGLSLprograms to dump the strings to a text file :)

dont need to call it specifically ambientmess.txt i just used ambient.txt ;) the main thing is getting to the console dump.

• HMart likes this

#791 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Started some sommer cleaning of the code, nothing fancy just yet ;)

Have to make sure im not breaking stuff before i commit.

• HMart and nbohr1more like this

#792 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

My condump

Spoiler

I didn't realized i was playing with 2.07 not 2.06,  facepalm.

#793 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:09 AM

Ok made a few modifications.

GLSL stencil shadows where missing depthbounds testing so added.

made lightdepthbounds global so now the cvar sets it globally in one place instead of all over the engine.

moved a few externs into tr_local.h.

renamed an added function which was named the same as another function causing an unintended overload.

modified depth copy function to only make a depth copy in case it changed (which it does allmost constantly..) but it should yield some small optimization (no adverse effects yet).

reverted an experiment with RB_RenderDrawSurfListWithFunction and RB_RenderDrawSurfChainWithFunction, also optimized RB_RenderDrawSurfChainWithFunction,

so that it leaves the depthhack before scissoring in case width and height values are invalid or negative.

Runs fine and no adverse effects i can see, but would be fun to see a profiling run, so im going to setup just that in a bit.

• Anderson likes this

#794 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

I didn't realized i was playing with 2.07 not 2.06,  facepalm.

Yeah made the same mistake :)

#795 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:09 AM

Yikes the msvc profiler for msvc 2013 and upto 2017 is broken on win 7 with the latest update and theres no plans on fixing it.

It will hard reset your pc if run and probably ruin the solution files as well, just a warning.

#796 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

https://sourceforge.....patch/download

link to the changes i have done so far for review before i push them on svn.

fixed allmost all warnings, some like the OpenAL macros i just had to suppress -> void returning a value,

well depends how it return it, but then its completly valid but msvc seems to think this is fubar because it is handled by macros huh ?!?.

Other were mostly type cast warnings, and some refered to deprecation so i turned off the deprecation flags on them since we obviously use those functions.

a few warnings remain but they require a more deft touch since they involve some huge structs of chars cast to a const value for localization.

Also cleaned up a few things and moved a few things around to more sensible areas.

A little optimization also made it in but im not sure if it has any noticable impact since i cannot run the profiler on win7 to check :/

Should be able to apply the patch with svn's patch function if anyone wants to have a closer look.

• Anderson likes this

#797 duzenko

duzenko

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2283 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

That just looks like a zillion of added line breaks all over the code.

The meaning of it escapes me.

#798 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9508 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Probably ran it through a formatting macro?

I know RBDOOM uses "A style" to keep formatting clean. We've never bothered with that thus far. We always try to stick with Id Software's quirky formatting conventions.

#799 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

I use the same formatting doom3 does except the java style format i found in some of the files obviously also got formatted sigh :(

well its easier to just apply the patch and look through it, theres not that many changes besides the ones i listed.

most modifications were done in draw_common.cpp draw_glsl.cpp draw_arb2.cpp tr_local.h  tr_main.cpp and i belive tr_render.cpp if i remember correctly.

The rest minus the formatting are just fixing type casts and turning off some warnings about stuff we use from ffmpeg that is considered deprecated.

ill see if i can revert the formatting to be closer to what it was.

#800 revelator

revelator

Advanced Member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:26 PM

Oh forgot fixed warnings in libpng ldap ffmpeg and openal.

libpng and ldap was mostly typecast warnings, openal had a rather large number of void functions returning a value warnings, and for ffmpeg it was deprecation warnings of some of the internal functions.

Also made some small modifications to CopyFramebuffer and CopyDepthBuffer.

I also commented my changes so search for revelator and you can see all of them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: idtech4, development, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users