97 replies to this topic

#26 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

Here is something I attempted. Keep in mind I have zero experience with creating ambients or music of any kind.

Home asleep

Here's a looped version

Edited by Goldwell, 23 November 2014 - 05:08 PM.

The Accountant Series
Part 1 (coming soon) | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Trilogy
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Lord Edgar's Disappearance | Lord Edgar's Estate

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#27 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

@Goldwell: Thanks man! Great job.

Here is another one.

This one should loop straight out from the box.

Nope, it doesn't. Oh well!

Edited by kyyrma, 23 November 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#28 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

Here is another one.

an odd track to say the least and not really when Im looking for, its too busy and the sounds too in-yer-face to used as a background ambient.

#29 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Here is another one.

This one should loop straight out from the box.

Nope, it doesn't. Oh well!

http://www63.zippysh...65700/file.html

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Trilogy

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#30 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

an odd track to say the least and not really when Im looking for, its too busy and the sounds too in-yer-face to used as a background ambient.

It'd certainly work in a basement with no ambient light, provided you were trying to reproduce that desire to sprint up the stairs after you've turned the lights out. Still, definitely not the stuff to be playing in a well-lit main hall.

Edited by Airship Ballet, 23 November 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#31 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5542 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

Here is another one.

This is also very good. You really should document how it is done. If it is an easy recipe, an example tutorial from start to finish would be very useful wiki contribution for people who have some special ambients in mind. Custom ambients are very interesting, because stock TDM ambients are getting so familiar that some variety would be much desired.

I gave audacity a spin and yes, making spooky ambient is easy, but I cannot reach your quality level. I call this "Souls lost in nuclear winds", because... well, it has a Fallout-y vibe.
http://www67.zippysh...85722/file.html

I did that by taking stock TDM audio files (wind and some metal screeches plus distant people sounds.).
I pushed all the sounds through Paulstretch effect and changed the pitch and tempo a little. Very easy.

Also, if Goldwell could describe how to make stuff loop seamlessly, that would be great, too. Don't give the man a fish, but rather teach them to fish in order to feed them for a lifetime and so on... ;)
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#32 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7409 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

Also, if Goldwell could describe how to make stuff loop seamlessly, that would be great, too. Don't give the man a fish, but rather teach them to fish in order to feed them for a lifetime and so on... ;)

I have a workflow for this using REAPER (one of the best value-for-money DAWs in existence, but not completely free). Although it's a while since I've done it I can post a tutorial at some point if there is a need for it.

Regarding repetitiveness of ambients: it's not the repetitiveness itself which is the problem, but having a loop with very obvious "structure" and in-your-face elements which make the repetition obvious. Think of the first "Inside at last" ambient from Bafford's: it was pretty much nothing more than "Bom...bom...bom...bom...bom...bom...", which is about as repetitive as you can get, but it worked because it was so homogeneous and unobtrusive (almost like a heartbeat).

#33 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Ha yes I was going to get around to that today, Mondays are a bit hectic for me :)

The Accountant Series

Lord Edgar Trilogy

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#34 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm working on writing a description of my workflow in Audacity.

I only have so much time to work on this, so I decided to dump a rough draft here. Once it's finished I'll make it a separate thread, but maybe Sotha can get something out from this already:

Spoiler

Edited by kyyrma, 25 November 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#35 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:02 PM

Is this closer to what you are looking for Biker? I've been listening to T1&2 ambients and tried to do something more in that style.

Breaking and Entering

Edited by kyyrma, 30 November 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#36 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Its still too intense, the above would be usefull in a crypt or thiefs den based in a case etc.

#37 Moonbo

Moonbo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hey Kyyrma,

Just wanted to pop in and say you're definitely on the right track though :-). My favorite ambient tracks have just a bit of melody in them over the standard drone/aural haze (like the horn of quintus track), and this most recent version has that. I think what Biker is saying is that for an interior track, the drone/haze in the background is too tense/disconcerting. But great stuff!
But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.
-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

#38 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm getting there - slowly! :P

I'll keep working on it, hopefully I'll hit the sweet spot soon.

#39 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:37 AM

(like the horn of quintus track)

I made this to pass a couple minutes after Kyyrma reminded me how fun it is to make ambients; if it were more melancholy and less desolate it'd probably fit into the Bonehoard :ph34r:

Anyway, the majority of 'mansion' music used in the Thief series is either those low, droning hums, a hum accompanied by a twinkling sound or just straight-up horror ambience that's really quite spooky when isolated. It's hard to tell what you mean by 'mansion' music, as when I think of it, I think of quiet, drawn-out strings. That said, you don't want anything melodic, so I'd distort the strings beyond recognition like I did with that ambient up there, but then you'd say it fit a cave or something instead. It's hard to imagine anything fitting in a mansion that doesn't fall into either of those categories, so I'm stumped.

#40 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7409 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

I made this to pass a couple minutes after Kyyrma reminded me how fun it is to make ambients; if it were more melancholy and less desolate it'd probably fit into the Bonehoard :ph34r:

Holy audio clipping, Batman! My first thought was that it sounded like something that belonged on a David Attenborough documentary about whale mating habits.

It's hard to tell what you mean by 'mansion' music, as when I think of it, I think of quiet, drawn-out strings. That said, you don't want anything melodic, so I'd distort the strings beyond recognition like I did with that ambient up there, but then you'd say it fit a cave or something instead. It's hard to imagine anything fitting in a mansion that doesn't fall into either of those categories, so I'm stumped.

Agreed. Here's a couple of ambients I made myself some time ago:

https://soundcloud.c...rk-mod-ambients

But similarly, I'm not sure if they are sufficiently "mansion-y" for Biker's needs. Perhaps he is looking for something "warmer" and less creepy, such as the music from the library in Return to the Cathedral or the entrance to the lady's tower in the first mission from Deadly Shadows.

#41 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:05 PM

@AB, if the main noise was half the volume level this could be viable, but like Orbs mentioned some clipping in places.

@Orbs, hmmm very clean and crisp but like Kyyrma's a bit busy to be a background ambient

#42 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

AB, I can't access your ambient. Just doesn't load the page.

Had some time to screw around this afternoon. This more what you're looking for? I did the slow-pad thing Sotha asked. There's a small pop when a note is played, not quite sure what's causing that. I think it's something with the reverb but haven't bothered to solve it.
It's way less musically complicated than the other ambients, figured that might be a selling point. Most work was in the sound design and getting the reverb/release timings right.
You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#43 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

Unfortunately that one buzzes horribly if played through my laptop speakers or earphones. I tried it with a little Bluetooth headset and it sounds okay through that, so it must just be a problem with tinny speakers, but normally I can play TDM on my laptop without needing to bring the headset along.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#44 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:06 PM

Holy audio clipping, Batman!

It's intentional. I had a cliché dirty record effect originally but just decided to make it grungier, bearing in mind I was completely aimless in making it and fancied experimenting ^_^

This more what you're looking for?

Here's a couple of ambients I made myself some time ago

Both something I'd use in a map, definitely.

#45 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Unfortunately that one buzzes horribly if played through my laptop speakers or earphones. I tried it with a little Bluetooth headset and it sounds okay through that, so it must just be a problem with tinny speakers, but normally I can play TDM on my laptop without needing to bring the headset along.

Yeah if your speakers are quite small it might be right on the edge of what they can handle. Probably doesn't help it's a somewhat "pure" wave sound. There's the base sine, which is at exactly D2 and then an offset sine which is a bit higher and adds tension to the final product.

Edited by 161803398874989, 01 December 2014 - 04:08 PM.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#46 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

This more what you're looking for?

This is getting there, but not so basic. I assume this was just a test..?

#47 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

When the repeating tone swells and then fades, the end of the tone has a *blip* sound after it gets nearly silent that needs removed by decreasing the volume. I would think just seemlessly blending the pulse swell in to the end of the fade so it never quite goes away and there is no *blip* sound at the end of the pulse would sound better but that's just my opinion. Other than that I like it.

Edited by Lux, 01 December 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#48 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

How's this kinda thing?

#49 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:15 PM

How's this kinda thing?

better, but the sampling rate is to low and the volume is also too low.

#50 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

What Biker said, and...I dig them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users