The Dark Mod Forums

You poeple need to get your A**es moving, what joke!

Guest boringDMOD45

Oh dear... lets start a `Linux distro A' vs `Linux distro B' war after the `win' vs `*nix' war!

I prefer Arch as it gives you power thought simplicity, tries to avoid to add useless level of abstractions actually adding only more points of failure.

Instead Ubuntu tries to hide and if it works it is cool, but if anything goes wrong it is really hard understand where to work.

Hehe... Haven't even heard of that one. But well, my Ubuntu is running fine and you know: "Never touch a running system". I must admit though that the newest release disappointed me a little. I am not able to choose my logon screen anymore. I have to click on my user-icon now and enter the password afterwards or have linux login a default-user automatically. Both versions suck. I prefer to type in both username and password. But that's really the only thing i got to criticize... =) I assume there is away to get the old logon-behaviour back, but I didn't care enough to look into it...

Didn't pay anything. I get that stuff for free from my university... ;D MSDNAA rules!! =)

Only problem is, it's against the terms of the licence to use the OS for anything except personal and educational use. So you're not allowed to sell anything that you make while running the OS.

Basically it's all an evil plot to get people hooked on MS tech, and then force them to buy it if they want to get any real use out of the stuff they've made. <_<

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Only problem is, it's against the terms of the licence to use the OS for anything except personal and educational use. So you're not allowed to sell anything that you make while running the OS.

Basically it's all an evil plot to get people hooked on MS tech, and then force them to buy it if they want to get any real use out of the stuff they've made. <_<

You get a free software and your are complain?

Yo must understand that are people whos job depends working with payout software.

hermmm, never mind, after all the global heat seems to stop for a wile!

Yo must understand that are people whos job depends working with payout software.

hermmm, never mind, after all the global heat seems to stop for a wile!

ummmmmm what? Could you repeat that please?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I need my computer for work, and the software I use hooks into MS Office. S I'm more or less bound to MS Windows. If that weren't the case, I'd surely have tried Linux, but so far only ever worked with Knoppix as an emergency OS (to recover my data after I killed my Windows installation).

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm not getting free software, because I refuse to use it under the terms of MSDNAA. It has diabolical strings attached. :)

Of course I know this. I'm one of them. I'm not disputing Microsoft's right to make money.

I just think that applying a non-commercial-use licence to an entire operating system is going a bit too far, especially when the whole scheme is merely a painfully transparent way to undercut Linux. Now when people say "Linux is free", they can say "ah, but for all you students out there, Windows is ALSO free!" and thus appear to remove Linux's biggest selling point. But of course, it's not strictly true - although MSDNAA provides Windows free of charge, it's bound by so many restrictions that it's really not "free to use" at all. It's the old gratis vs. libre distinction again, except the contrast is even more stark than usual thanks to MSDNAA's additional restrictions.

In other words, I see it as Microsoft using their monopoly position to protect that monopoly. MSDNAA may look great from the point of view of students who want to use Microsoft software without having to pay for it, but it's secretly just a way to indoctrinate people so that they'll be less likely to choose Linux when they get jobs and start making purchasing decisions.

So yes. I complain. :laugh:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

You people need to get the balls rolling here and finish a project you started, and not give your customers free products that don't work worth shit.

Sigh, talk about ungrateful etc....

Well Mr Sunshine, I have TDM working just fine(like most people) and I'm even making a mission for it using DR.....

:P

MSDNAA may look great from the point of view of students who want to use Microsoft software without having to pay for it, but it's secretly just a way to indoctrinate people so that they'll be less likely to choose Linux when they get jobs and start making purchasing decisions.

So yes. I complain. :laugh:

That's fine Linux sucks anyways. When it has support for DirectX (OpenGL isn't good enough) I might switch to it, right now it's only good for users interested in fidling with toys.Sorry Forgot to add IMHO

That's fine Linux sucks anyways. When it has support for DirectX (OpenGL isn't good enough) I might switch to it, right now it's only good for users interested in fidling with toys.Sorry Forgot to add IMHO

Hmmm, have to strongly disagree with that Opinion. Linux is an absolutely fantastic operating system, you may not like it but it is far from sucking. I have almost completely switched over to Ubuntu. The only reason I haven't is because I've grown used to the Adobe Suite for my work, and it's hard for me to switch over to the Linux equivalents. Does that make Linux a bad OS? Nope. It's my problem that I'm hooked into windows apps. Open GL is more than good enough...if developers would actually use it. It's what Doom 3 uses, and therefore TDM. When I run D3 or TDM on my linux partition, it is noticeably smoother than my windows installation.

I can't see Linux ever supporting direct x, considering it belongs to microsoft, and I hope it never does.

I love that you're criticising Linux as being only good enough for people interesting in fiddling with toys... on the basis that it doesn't support Windows' games API. :laugh:

Anyway, really not interested in starting an OS flamewar, kthx.

• Like 1

Yeah, you can play games on Linux but it's not Linux fault if developers choose to only support direct x. If developers made their games to work with both open gl and direct x, like a lot of games back in the day, you could play whatever you wanted on Linux. The id games all work on it. Prey, Doom 3, Quake 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Yeah, you can play games on Linux but it's not Linux fault if developers choose to only support direct x. If developers made their games to work with both open gl and direct x, like a lot of games back in the day, you could play whatever you wanted on Linux. The id games all work on it. Prey, Doom 3, Quake 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Wow that is a huge list.....:unsure:

LOL I know, but even Carmack seems to be losing interest in the platform. Also driver support kinda sucks last I heard, but that's just hearsay, as it's been a while since I've tried.

Yeah, back in the day lots of games supported both APIs. Homeworld 1 quickly springs to mind. OGL rendering looked better than DX, with less rendering errors, iirc.

But I can understand why the game devs moved to DX (almost) completely: OGL is made by a consortium (the Khronos group), so it takes them much longer to implement any changes. Micro$oft doesn't have that problem, they can change and expand whatever they like. Also, I think OGL was never intended for gaming, much like DX is never really considered for huge applications like CAD.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Wow that is a huge list.....:unsure:

Well, I'm only listing the recent id games. There are free open source games based on the Quake 3 engine, and others like the amazing Penumbra series. All 3 Penumbra games can be purchased online for 20 bucks. There is plenty of gaming on Linux, you just have to be open to open source. Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking Linux isn't as starved for gaming as people make it out to be. I have little interest in mainstream gaming these days anyway. I guess Linux open source gaming, and the few professional games that make it to Linux are enough for me in the long run.

Also driver support kinda sucks last I heard, but that's just hearsay, as it's been a while since I've tried.

It's a rare video card that can't do properly accelerated 3D under Linux, these days. Driver support has been getting a lot better, to the point where Compiz (a 3D windowing system similar to Mac OS X's Aqua and Windows' Aero) is now enabled by default on Ubuntu. The distro maintainers are that confident in their driver support! And it works, too.

OGL is made by a consortium (the Khronos group), so it takes them much longer to implement any changes. Micro$oft doesn't have that problem, they can change and expand whatever they like.

Actually, OpenGL's extension mechanism means that OpenGL can evolve really quickly. Manufacturers can (and do) implement their own proprietary extensions, and since the graphics card market really only has two players, it's practical for those extensions to be used immediately. Obviously standardisation takes a little longer, but not to the extent that it hampers adoption of new tech.

In contrast, major releases of DirectX are on a 3-year cycle. Yikes! On the other hand, DirectX releases do tend to ship ahead of the cards that actually support the new features.

So yeah, it's basically a draw on this count. :)

Also, I think OGL was never intended for gaming, much like DX is never really considered for huge applications like CAD.

OpenGL has certainly had a wider focus, but it has been used in games for a long time now. In any case, whatever the historical nuances, both Direct3D and OpenGL are equally capable these days, the only difference being that Direct3D isn't cross-platform (unless you count XBox, which I don't).

The real reason DirectX is dominant for games is because OpenGL only does graphics. It doesn't do sound, input, etc. It's actually pretty common for OpenGL games on Windows to use DirectX for the non-graphics components! (Sounds silly I know, but at least then the graphics part is portable with no additional effort. And the non-graphics Direct* APIs are pretty well entrenched as the standard Windows libraries for their respective tasks, in the context of game-like apps.) There are no widely-used cross-platform libraries for those parts; although there is OpenAL, an OpenGL equivalent for audio, and OpenCL, which does GPU computation similarly to DirectCompute (which it predates).