The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

Regarding the rough trpadoor & padlock prefab....

The padlock body dosent highlight, only the clasp highlights which is a bit crap -

- is there any way to make the body frob and the clasp to open on unlock etc

Edited by Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't look at this tonight. You might try on the lock:

frobable 1

lock_peer PadlockHasp

frob_peer PadlockHasp

...but I'm doubtful it will work properly. You might find if you try to use the key on the lock it won't work because the lock is just a static. If it doesn't work then post again and I'll try to look at it tomorrow.

...but I'm doubtful it will work properly. You might find if you try to use the key on the lock it won't work because the lock is just a static.

Ok well I did the above, added values for the clasp and the door, but I get this really wierd effect that I quite like...

The lockbody and the door now highlight at the same time, as if the lockbody becomes highlighted so does the door. I tested this by setting the frob_distance on the door to 10 to prove the player wasnt frobbing both by accident. Also the clasp and the door open now open at the same time

Args: on the lock body

atdm:mover_door

lock_peer PadlockHasp

frob_peer PadlockHasp

lock_peer_1 trapdoor

frob_peer_1 trapdoor

and Ive set the clasp so its not frobable as it not needed and more realistic.

Edited by Bikerdude

Sounds good but test it thoroughly by:

unlock with lock highlighted

unlock with door highlighted

open/close as above

repeat with the setting open on unlock.

Why I say the above is that when I first made it (for St.Lucia) we had to experiment with different configs because of confusion, strange things happening etc. Also the door code has been modified many times since then so hopefully you've found a good combo. Let us know. I'm short of time but I'd like to update the prefab if you've got it right.

unlock with lock highlighted - works

unlock with door highlighted - dosent work - only the lock can be unlocked

lock with lock highlighted - works

lock with door highlighted - dosent work - only the lock can be unlocked

open/close as above - partialy works, frobbing the padlock closes both the door and the clasp, but frobbing the door dosent close the clasp which stops the padlock from being locked.

So I changed the frob and lock peer on the trapdoor from the TrapDoorHing(which dosent appear to do anything anyway) to the clasp, now when I open and close either the padlock or the trapdoor, both the door and the clasp move at the same time, and the padlock is lockable when frobbed in open or closed state.

Hurrah!

I tried attach a copy of the prefab so you can have a look and then add it to the next version of TDM, but I kept getting thew message "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file" (can this be sorted for me please?) so I have uploaded it to file front - http://www.filefront.com/16354079/TrapDoor.zip

Edited by Bikerdude

Evening

Im looking give the player the impression there is lots of people around, but in order to keep the performance hit low Id like to ragdolls that will stay in position -

For example, I tried to use a ragdoll in a sitting position, but it just fell over...

:huh:

Not easy to get this realistic. This would only work for a view the player cannot reach of course...

Backup your map as this rewrites it.

Place the ragdoll roughly then try to drag/move it in-game to get the best position you can.

There is a small brush table/chair prefab where the chair has side arms to help support. Even if it is not ideal you get the idea - you might make your own chair. You might add some small nodraw blocks to give extra support here and there.

In theory you might support a standing AI that way but it is likely to be very difficult.

Now enter saveRagdolls in the console

All the joints positions are written into the entity in the map and doom rewrites the map.

Note that ALL ragdolls are set as above.

Note that these joint positions are world positions so you cannot now move the body in the editor (well you can but it will jump back to the old position - you can of course delete all the spawnargs on the entity if necessary.)

Note also that the ragdoll is still floppy so you can't fix it. But since it has already come to rest it won't move unless nudged by another AI etc.

Im looking give the player the impression there is lots of people around,

I hope I don't sound patronising for mentioning this, but in films and games, audio is always your best friend for cheap illusion. It's something I always try to remember. ^_^

[EDIT] : Ooops. Didn't see the new posts. I meant that as a general thing aside from you wanting to use ragdolls.

Edited by Neb

but in order to keep the performance hit low Id like to ragdolls that will stay in position -

For example, I tried to use a ragdoll in a sitting position, but it just fell over...

You'd probably get better results by loading the md5mesh in a modeling program and bend it manually into sitting position. It would be totally rigid in game but at least it wouldn't fall over.

You'd probably get better results by loading the md5mesh in a modeling program and bend it manually into sitting position. It would be totally rigid in game but at least it wouldn't fall over.

Hmm, not something ive done before. And once Ive done it, hwo do i think add the model to my map...? or is there a wiki guide on this..?

You'd need to know how to use a modeling program, and then would need to be able to import md5mesh files. You would then add to your map like any regular model.

You'd need to know how to use a modeling program, and then would need to be able to import md5mesh files. You would then add to your map like any regular model.

you might also check with demagogue, or just open up patently dangerous in DR. there was a

dead hangman in a warehouse closet

that was suspended in midair, totally solid and unmoveable. Not sure if he used this same technique, or if he did something else.

Yes but the same problem might arise. I used this idea for Eleanor in Heart but only because I don't think she had the sleep animation. But I still had to use saveRagdolls to get the pose I wanted. I just don't think this idea is worth the effort except for special cases like that. saveRagdolls is really for posing corpses for artistic or other effects. Apart from that it will be obvious if an AI is not idling and doesn't respond to an alert or an arrow in the head. Remember you can use neverDormant 0 to freeze living AI when you are not around but they will be in the last position each time you do see them so test to see if it looks OK. It's fine on sitting or sleeping AI and static sentries etc.

Geodes:

Ok Iv got a bunch of geodes base and crystal setup, but the areas with the custom_shader are just black and not emitting any light - what am I doing wrong..

- have I selected the wrong model or is there an arg that I need to set to make then self glow..?

- assuming they can or should self glow, I assume I choose what colour, radious & shader etc..?

Geodes:

Ok Iv got a bunch of geodes base and crystal setup, but the areas with the custom_shader are just black and not emitting any light - what am I doing wrong..

- have I selected the wrong model or is there an arg that I need to set to make then self glow..?

- assuming they can or should self glow, I assume I choose what colour, radious & shader etc..?

Ok, did a very basic test map and found that for the following console errors - which would explain why the geodes arent glowing..

WARNING: Couldn't load image: crystal_light
WARNING: Couldn't load image: _afxweight
WARNING: Couldn't load image: _fsfx_input

I'm going to make a backup of my tdm dir then nuke and fresh install to see if that replaces the missing items..

Still not working, getting the error that it cant find image crystal_light - what is that (is it a missing texture?) and how do I fix/find it..?

--------- Initializing Game ----------
The Dark Mod 1.01, code revision 3842
Build date: Feb 26 2010
Initializing event system
...773 event definitions
Initializing class hierarchy
...183 classes, 408144 bytes for event callbacks
Initializing scripts
Compiled 'script/tdm_lights.script': 144.6 ms
---------- Compile stats ----------

Memory usage:
	Strings: 43, 5168 bytes
Statements: 22385, 447700 bytes
Functions: 1210, 125168 bytes
Variables: 91980 bytes
Mem used: 1161060 bytes
Static data: 2277552 bytes
Allocated: 2822672 bytes
Thread size: 7068 bytes

...5 aas types
game initialized.
--------------------------------------
Parsing material files
Found 1 mods in the FM folder.
Using TDM's enhanced interaction.vfp
-------- Initializing Session --------
session initialized
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
guid set to 3xe27boBYnI
]¦dmap test
---- dmap ----
--- LoadDMapFile ---
loading maps/test
6 total world brushes
0 total world triSurfs
0 patches
5 entities
36 planes
0 areaportals
size: -72, -72, -72 to	72, 72, 72
############### entity 0 ###############
--- FaceBSP ---
36 faces
80 leafs
0.0 seconds faceBsp
----- MakeTreePortals -----
----- FilterBrushesIntoTree -----
6 total brushes
24 cluster references
--- FloodEntities ---
8 flooded leafs
--- FillOutside ---
24 solid leafs
48 leafs filled
8 inside leafs
----- ClipSidesByTree -----
--- FloodAreas ---
area 0 has 8 leafs
1 areas
----- PutPrimitivesInAreas -----
----- BuildLightShadows -----
----- CreateLightShadow 08EC3560 -----
0.0 seconds for BuildLightShadows
----- OptimizeEntity -----
----- OptimizeAreaGroups Results -----
48 tris in
12 tris after edge removal optimization
12 tris after final t junction fixing
----- FixGlobalTjunctions -----
WARNING: Couldn't load image: crystal_light
----- WriteOutputFile -----
writing maps/test.proc
0 total shadow triangles
0 total shadow verts
-----------------------
0 seconds for dmap
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
collision data:
	1 models
32 vertices (0 KB)
73 edges (2 KB)
36 polygons (2 KB)
	6 brushes (0 KB)
	1 nodes (0 KB)
36 polygon refs (0 KB)
	6 brush refs (0 KB)
24 internal edges
	0 sharp edges
	0 contained polygons removed
	0 polygons merged
	7 KB total memory used
9 msec to load collision data.
-------------------------------------

----------------------------------------
----- idSoundCache::EndLevelLoad -----
11741k referenced
3786k purged
----------------------------------------
sound: missing efxs/test.efx
-----------------------------------
8014 msec to load test
idRenderWorld::GenerateAllInteractions, msec = 0, staticAllocCount = 0.
interactionTable size: 43228 bytes
7 interaction take 784 bytes
Note: Ambient light by name of 'ambient_world' not found
]condump geode.txt
Dumped console text to geode.txt.

Edited by Bikerdude

Sorry I know nothing about these and can't find them quickly in the entity selector although there are some geodes under lights static. That word 'base' me think you are selecting something that is not for use. For example, many other 'base' classes have a description that says 'do not use' (they have to be there to inherit from I believe.) Can you check if that is what you are selecting?

although there are some geodes under lights static. That word 'base' me think you are selecting something that is not for use. For example, many other 'base' classes have a description that says 'do not use' Can you check if that is what you are selecting?

The base object dosent have a description and the static light entity has the same problem with the missing "crystal_light" image texture.

I think Tels made those, maybe PM him?

Ill do that :-)

post-496-127308221229_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Question:

Can someone point me at the wiki article that explains what the clip texture does, when compared to monster and player clip.. or is a simple case of it does the both the jobs of the other two..?

ta.

Edited by Bikerdude

I don't know if it is defined on the wiki. I usually look in (with a zip program):

doom3\base\pak000.pk4 > materials\invisible.mtr

The above gives a brief comment on all the invisible textures. There are other wierd and wonderful types in there. For clip it gives:

a clip brush is solid to players and monsters, but not missiles

I just used some earlier as both playerclip and monsterclip in one to block the player going over a skybox wall and at the same time it blocks all pathfinding in that area and so saves unnecessary pathfinding. I also tested it and could shoot an arrow through it OK but I couldn't climb into it. This is only true as worldspawn though. If converted to an entity then both player and AI can pass through it (and is used for instance to detect the player has reached a certain location objective.)

so saves unnecessary pathfinding.

Ah that would explain why Ive seen so much monster_clip in other misions in places i didnt think monsters could get too, so if I fill up lots of empty space with MC would that reduce the pathfinding times..?

That is my belief. But if someone tells me doom3 automatically does not pathfind for areas it knows the AI cannot reach then it would not surprise me. I'm fairly sure though that it is best to use monster_clip.