The Dark Mod Forums

id Software Demos Rage On iPhone, Releases Source Code For Two Games

jaxa

id Software Demos Rage On iPhone, Releases Source Code For Two Games

glenkim writes "Kotaku has posted their liveblog of the QuakeCon 2010 keynote, with some big announcements by game developer and Slashdot regular John Carmack. Highlights include a video of the id Tech 5 engine (aka Rage) running on the iPhone 4G at 60fps, with claims that it also runs on the iPhone 3GS. Carmack noted that performance on the iPhone was able to 'kill anything done on the Xbox or PlayStation 2.' He also announced the source code release of two games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Also, Carmack finally admitted that Doom 3 was too dark!"

This is pretty ominous, though: iD not licensing Tech 5 (unless you are a Zenimax company). Let's hope this does not impact the open source release of Tech 4.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This is pretty ominous, though: iD not licensing Tech 5 (unless you are a Zenimax company). Let's hope this does not impact the open source release of Tech 4.

but if you’re going to make a game with id Tech 5 then it needs to be published by Bethesda, which I think is a fair thing.”

Yeah, right! I don't think the word "fair" means what they think it means... :(

Carmack says:

But I can say it’s almost certain we will wind up releasing the entire Doom 3 code base once Rage ships. So unless I’m somehow forced to abandon the practise, it will continue.”

We will see if the corporate drones and the money will overrule him, tho :-/

How much does it cost to license idTech4, btw?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Nope, id tech 3 versus id tech 4.

In reading on this story a bit last night, I ran into Wolfenstein (not 'Return To'), by Raven (a game which I didn't even know existed... Bad marketing? Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein... seriously guys? And Raven truly is cursed, never getting recognition for their games), which is id tech 4. I gotta say it looks... intriguing? While in some places I'm not impressed (the character models), in other places, id tech 4 looks pretty great with lightmaps. I would assume Quake 4 had them too, but of course they go to 'real world' use in Wolfenstein, and it's impressive, and the engine is running fast.

Here's hoping id tech 4 source comes out some day and soon so TDM may some day benefit from lightmaps.

quake 4 is idtech 4 with a few modifications to the source, quake 4 has a lot of big open areas for boss fights.

dont know about quake 3 arena. but I think it was idtech 3.5

the source in the id link is for linux only, no dos, as microsoft own the sound drivers used, and wont give permission for the dos version of the source to be released. although on futher reading it looks like microsoft actually had the dos source and lost it.

thats like eidos having the source code for the dark engines 1, 2, 3 and losing all of that as well, as some geo at eidos sold the hard drive with that source on it at a get rid of old equipment sale.

Edited by stumpy

I remember Raven from the old days with Heretic and Hexen.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Nope, id tech 3 versus id tech 4.

In reading on this story a bit last night, I ran into Wolfenstein (not 'Return To'), by Raven (a game which I didn't even know existed... Bad marketing? Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein... seriously guys? And Raven truly is cursed, never getting recognition for their games), which is id tech 4. I gotta say it looks... intriguing? While in some places I'm not impressed (the character models), in other places, id tech 4 looks pretty great with lightmaps. I would assume Quake 4 had them too, but of course they go to 'real world' use in Wolfenstein, and it's impressive, and the engine is running fast.

The latest Wolfenstein didn't do very well from what I've read on Doom3world. Most felt they botched it, like they did with Quake 4.

The SDK for the new Wolfenstein was announced at launch time, but when the game did so poorly...they abandoned it. Left the community hanging...no usable editor. The one in the game executable is borked.

I don't think the marketing was bad, it was all over the place for quite some time...but in a lot of cases it just didn't look that great. I remember seeing some screen shots prior to release and everything looked plastic. I thought, why would they do that when so much has been said about that plastic skin look...especially when it is so easily remedied? Didn't look like a very polished product at all, and I think id software would be wise to keep their big name games under their own roof, or find a company capable of putting out a top notch game.

In reading on this story a bit last night, I ran into Wolfenstein (not 'Return To'), by Raven (a game which I didn't even know existed... Bad marketing?

Here's hoping id tech 4 source comes out some day and soon so TDM may some day benefit from lightmaps.

Shame the source for Wolfenstien:2009 was not released along with the SDK.. as I would love to use the town levels in TDM.

The one in the game executable is borked.

Can I open up the town map from W:2009 then....?

Edited by Bikerdude

I played a demo for that game four weeks ago and I didn´t liked it. Felt like a step backwards.

But it inspired me to replay the old Return to Castle Wolfenstein again. But this time I´ll choose the english version with swastikas, here in Germany they were erased because swastikas are forbidden. But the heir-party of the NSDAP is not, silly folk my folk actually is...

thats like eidos having the source code for the dark engines 1, 2, 3 and losing all of that as well, as some geo at eidos sold the hard drive with that source on it at a get rid of old equipment sale.

Haha, äh, what? Never heard that story.

I remember Raven from the old days with Heretic and Hexen.

Yeah, the old glorious days. Loved to play GL HeXeN. Loved HeXeN II as Heretic II, too. :) At least they´re not forced to develop casual games like it happened to Ritual Entertainment (sIn and sIn Episodes).

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Oh yeah, Hexen was great. I actually recently played it with a new engine that enables usage of 3d models for enemies and objects, as well as higher-res textures and downloaded a proper remake of the soundtracks as well. That engine also came along with better lighting and some shadows and I was all in all really astonished how good such an old game can be. :-)

I can't wait to see that happening as well!! TDM will look awesome!! :)

Well this restores a little of my faith that they will release the Doom 3 stuff after being bought by Zenimax. I expected to see no more open-source after that.

Hopefully TDM can have a native 64-bit build, or dual-core/hyperthreading optimizations to increase performance when the D3 stuff is released.

At LEGION: I absolutely loved SiN 1.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Oh yeah, Hexen was great. I actually recently played it with a new engine that enables usage of 3d models for enemies and objects, as well as higher-res textures and downloaded a proper remake of the soundtracks as well. That engine also came along with better lighting and some shadows and I was all in all really astonished how good such an old game can be. :-)

Can you please tell me where I have to look for it? Can´t find it atm...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

• 1 month later...