The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Pre-Release Testers Wanted

greebo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear from my world to yourses: I do not expect, claim or even recommend that I be the sole tester of Heart. AAMOF I would hope everyone feels absolutely free to double or triple or whatever up on any and all FMs and new features.

To be even clearer: I have messed around with the new features and, as reported, done some Heart. All (excepting those few things I have mentioned) to great success! The main thing with Heart though, IMO, is to see if it has lost The Mystery Of The Random Dead Guys... which was never, AFAIK, something that could be reliably duplicated; so as many testers as possible would be a good thing here, I think.

To be even clearer: I have messed around with the new features and, as reported, done some Heart. All (excepting those few things I have mentioned) to great success! The main thing with Heart though, IMO, is to see if it has lost The Mystery Of The Random Dead Guys... which was never, AFAIK, something that could be reliably duplicated; so as many testers as possible would be a good thing here, I think.

I ran Alchemist overnight with 1.03 and when I checked the next morning, those AI that had suffered from random death in 1.02 were still alive and patrolling. So hopefully Heart will be okay too.

Awesome!

I do believe I've seen your AI-think-interleaving improvements at work quite a bit actually... I believe it manifests in what was just mentioned above about the AI experience Melan had; and I haven't seen any of the old hangups at all... plenty of opportunities for those and some temporary confusion that occurs as a bunch try to get through a door or narrow pathway... but so far always works itself out. Fine work I believe, grayman. I'm just wanting to solicit a bunch of thoroughness here with Heart since it was the one that AFAIR many had the RDGs problem.

And then tomorrow you guys push this beauty out! :D

I fixed the blackness issue and New Horizon discovered that the tree problem is related to the LOD system. It is all fixed now, but an update release of NHAT3 is required, as stated above. Performance is just like it always has been, because.

Thanks for the details.

I know that LODE is the biggest performance improvement but plain ole LOD would also help a little so I was hoping that may have been substituted. Then, barring either, the general performance improvements like Interleaved Thinking, Memory leak fixes, new Boost libraries, and NPOT texture fixes (for ATI issues) might've helped? Finally, just having the map be compiled conventionally might also help?

You've got a powerful system so I am not sure those little enhancements would help you... Have you tested it on a low-end system? :unsure:

(Grayman? ?)

(The way my wife is squandering my free-time I will probably have to wait a month after release to find out... :( )

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hehe, ok. :)

I thought you had missed my post so I referenced it once more. But well, to be honest I am not entirely sure if it's just the LOD or the whole LODE system, that has been reverted. But Tels seemed to have discovered that it still needs some developertime, so cya next update. ;)

Also interleaved thinking has been in the mod from day 1, but grayman did quite a few bugfixes on it, which might have helped performance a bit.

I will keep crossing my fingers on this one. Thanks again.

I know how frustrated Tels has been about not having time to flesh-out all his LODE concepts so I'm sure he'll be in better spirits when afforded more time for v1.04 (unless he goes through all the added work and still finds some insurmountable gotcha... or just gets sick of the whole thing). I hope at least some of his hard work on these features sees the light of day soon, even if it is just a demo until v1.04.

Also interleaved thinking has been in the mod from day 1, but grayman did quite a few bugfixes on it, which might have helped performance a bit.

The IT changes I made were to keep AI alive and unstuck. The real performance boost will be in future maps because now mappers can use higher frame intervals, especially in open patrolling spaces. The default IT is 12 frames per AI think, and I tested up to 28 with no problems. The guards that were getting hurt and dying in Alchemist were all set at 16. I didn't check what Heart's AI were set at.

And St. Alban's Cathedral had a dead guard in the cathedral by the time the player got there. He should be okay now also.

Hehe, ok. :)

I thought you had missed my post so I referenced it once more. But well, to be honest I am not entirely sure if it's just the LOD or the whole LODE system, that has been reverted. But Tels seemed to have discovered that it still needs some developertime, so cya next update. ;)

AFAIK the LOD system was disabled (but wrongly, so this will have to be fixed "quickly" (for some definition of quickly, don't expect anything this year!) anyway. The LODE system should work, it can use LOD entities, but it can also work without LOD entities. I haven't tested it, tho.

The artile on the wiki should give everyone a taste on what the LODE system can do and how to use it. (It just crashes upon Load/Save, which needs fixing, and the model combiner is to slow to update models in a lot of situations)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=LODE

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Thanks Tels! As a low-ender I was getting especially worried about the hide-distance being broken (not that many maps use it, but every little bit helps). I hope that mappers start piloting and getting acquainted with this as soon as possible.

(Maybe someday I'll be one of 'em... damn time-vampire wife... )

(It just crashes upon Load/Save, which needs fixing,

You mean if mappers use it in their maps then it will crash on saving in DR? Or it will crash for the player when saving during that mission?

Playing the mission according to the wiki updates:

So mappers should probably not use it until that's fixed, I would think. :huh:

If a mapper wants to target post v1.04 for their release they can proto-type with the current framework. So it's a matter of whether the mapper in question trusts that all those additional fixes will arrive on time or if the mapper is willing to let their release slip to v1.05 (or whatever is post v1.04) if necessary.

If someone wanted to be a wise-acre I suppose they could release a mission with the warning that "Saves" don't work so just play it through in one session (like a "real man" :laugh: ?) ...

Edit:

(Don't mind me though... I'm just dreaming of a pretty youtube video demo of some of this for Moddb promotion... B) )

Edited by nbohr1more